PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4 hole turret press

chet
02-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I just purchased a new Lee 4 hole turret press, the aluminum frame model, Not the Classic, I set it up and noticed the case did not align up perfectly when I lowered the ram to bring the case up into the die, did anyone ever have to loosen up the top bolts and make adjustments, I actually had to go beyond that and had to undercut the bolts for a bit more adjustments for a perfect alighnment. any comments

Chet

lastmanout
02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
It has been a while since I owned a Lee turret. Mine where three holers. There was a little pinch bolt in the black plastic "lump" under the shell holder. It would fall out of "Time" (synchronous operation) when the plastic rachet wore and need ajustment. Should be in your instruction book or online at Lee. No metalwork should be needed, just a screwdriver. Hope this helps.

Nrut
02-27-2006, 06:06 AM
I just purchased a new Lee 4 hole turret press, the aluminum frame model, Not the Classic, I set it up and noticed the case did not align up perfectly when I lowered the ram to bring the case up into the die, did anyone ever have to loosen up the top bolts and make adjustments, I actually had to go beyond that and had to undercut the bolts for a bit more adjustments for a perfect alighnment. any comments

Chet
I have the same problem with mine and it esp. shows up on long straight walled cases such as the 45-70,38-55 and soon to be loading .405......I hand index mine so it has nothing to do with the plastic rachet....I'll try your fix and see if it works...this has been bugging me for years (boy you just buy yours and already figured out a fix, I must be dumb!)....thanks mic

chet
02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I have the same problem with mine and it esp. shows up on long straight walled cases such as the 45-70,38-55 and soon to be loading .405......I hand index mine so it has nothing to do with the plastic rachet....I'll try your fix and see if it works...this has been bugging me for years (boy you just buy yours and already figured out a fix, I must be dumb!)....thanks mic

The fix is easy! you will need (3) 5/16x18x1 1/2 long SHCS and (3) 5/16 ID flat washers. If you have a lathe or a bench grinder, you will need to grind or lathe turn 90% of the threads off from under the head of the bolt 1" long. this leave 1/2" of untouched threads, then grind a flat on 2 of the washers to clear the turret, these go at the rear 2 bolts the front one can be full a full washer, after I install the new bolts and washers, I run up my 45-70 case into the die watching carefully, once I have the case in the die I tighten up the bolts not real tight yet, but snug, then I remove the case and try again, to make sure nothing shifts in any direction, a slight adjustment may have to be made, double check and tighten the bolts up, note! watch the (2) rear bolts when tightening the flat washers have a tendency to turn and hit the turret, I had to put the blade of a screwdriver to hold the washer from turning into the turret. the press works like a charm, the case don't even make the slightest movement entering the dies.

Good luck
Chet