PDA

View Full Version : 410 barrel

Beekeeper
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I have to ask,
I have a 71/84 Mauser barrel (rifled) that is apparently from the factory in 410 shotgun.
I don't think I will ever use it but want to keep it handy just in case.
I have run a ball guage in as far as the chamber goes (3 inches)
The problem I have is someone in the past (before me) either reamed the chamber or cerosafed it as there is a ridge of metal (very rough) at the end of the chamber.

How can I tell if it is cerosafe?
How hot can I get the barrel without hurting it.
If not cerosafe is it possible to ream out the obstruction without hurting the barrel?

A depth mike down the throat tells me the chamber is 3 1/4 inch long.
On the 71/84 Mauser forum someone called the Sarge told me that is the proper chamber legnth and that Mauser did indead make some of them in 410 so That is kinda why I want to keep it as it sure is an odity.

Any help the experts can spare would be greatly appreciated.

beekeeper

JIMinPHX
05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Heat it up in boiling water. If it's cerosafe, it will melt.

elk hunter
05-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Bee Keeper,

I'd be very supprised if Mauser ever made a shotgun with a rifled barrel. Shot and rifling just don't mix well. I'd bet you a tall cool one that someone in the past couldn't figure out what caliber your rifle was and thought it would make a nifty shotgun. It was a common practice years ago to take 98 mausers and convert them to shoot shot shells but those had the barrel reamed out to a smooth bore. 71/84's are neat rifles, if yours is in good condition you might consider making it 11MM again.