PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks hog hunting

lead Foot
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I take all my holidays hog hunting. We travel 1000 kilometers (600 miles) to get there. The farmer said you want fined many. They have had a lot of rain this wet season about a foot in two months so by now the grass stands tall and a pig can hide just three feet in front of you and you can't see them. We had over 100.000 acres to look for them. I had loaded up 250 lee slugs using some Winchester WSF I bought of a friend it must have been very old only half would go off some would stick in the barrel with unburnt powder. That was a bit disappointing.:( My mate had the same set up with different powder.I put a new barrel in my Dan Wesson and thought it was a good place to run the barrel in with copper jackets then lead. I had 100 125g hp's and 100 160g norma fnsp. I was disappointed in both of them on pigs. But the RCBS 35-200g @ 1150fps did far better in dispatching them. The old 3 ort 3 was put in action with the lee 185g, worked well. We ended up with a total of 62 pigs, 6 feral cats, 1 rabbit , 1 goat and a lot of roo's.
lead Foot;:Fire:

andremajic
05-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Outstanding. Do you think that your primers could have gotten oil/contamination on them? I don't think it was your powder that would have caused a misfire.

I am still waiting to go on a wild pig hunt. My S&W .500 has only killed paper targets so far.

Andy.

lead Foot
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry about the two same pic's. I'll fined another. This is my mate with a 80kgs boar. One shot, Lee slug. Taken on the downs country similar to the great planes of USA.
lead Foot.

Leadforbrains
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Very Nice!!! I just love hog hunting myself. Thanks for posting the pictures.

lead Foot
05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm using fresh Winchester W209 primers and they blow them 3/4 up the barrel, some would just come out and fly 20 feet. The hull's were Win AA . But the best test was different powder and all went off. It's got me beat the WSF smells OK but a little dusty.
lead Foot;

Trey45
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Nice looking hogs ya'll got there, what's that O/U your mates got, it looks like my Stoeger Outback.

lead Foot
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes we both have one the same.The Stoeger is the same as the Boito made in Brazil we have, costs about $600 new here, comes with cokes and single trigger. For slugs I use two full chokes. They are built like a tank. The only thing i didn't like was the safety comes on when cocked (soon fixed that).

lead Foot
05-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes we both have one the same.The Stoeger is the same as the Boito made in Brazil we have, costs about $600 new here, comes with cokes and single trigger. For slugs I use two full chokes. They are built like a tank. The only thing i didn't like was the safety comes on when cocked (soon fixed that).
lead Foot;

Trey45
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey that's my only complaint too is the safety on close. Care to share your technique for disabling that annoying feature?
I got mine used, maybe 50 shells through it for 200 bucks. Same guy I got the DW 357 from.

lead Foot
05-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Hey we're twins. The safety is easy to fix. You will still have a safety that works too. Remove the butt. The rubber pad is retained by two philips screws, then you need a long fine flat screw driver. Remove the butt. You will see a long wire going back to the action. Remove with pliers. make sure you don't get the safety switch back to front. You don't have to take it out anyway. Now simply place a pin about 1/4'' long in the safety hole and you are ready to go. [smilie=2:
lead Foot;

Russell James
05-04-2009, 02:31 AM
Well done mate!
Are you down near Toowomba?
If u can get on a property I would recomend somewhere up nth {Townsville/ cairns]
There has been heaps of pigs here after the wet this year.
Regards Russell James { Townsville]

lead Foot
05-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Thanks Russell I live 27ks North of Gin Gin. We go hunting near Muttaburra (central west) I go from one farm to another for a holiday crazy I know but I love it.
lead Foot;

RugerFan
05-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Very nice! I can't wait to get back to hog hunting myself.

jdgabbard
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Is that O/U a shorty? I mean shorter then an 18" barrel? It sure looks it in the picture. If so I am jealous of you Aussies, and I mean more then just the pigs.

lead Foot
05-13-2009, 06:46 AM
I bought the gun about six months ago for round about $600. (new)Come with two barrels one 20" and the other 28" + five chokes. The 20" comes with rifle sights. It's called a Boito Miura and is the same as a Stoeger Outback. As far as now there is no limit to the length of a barrel here but there is on the overall length of the gun. It is 750mm (about 29") and can't be able to be fired one handed. I have just bought another full choke ($20)so I can now have two full chokes in the 20" barrel.
Lead foot::drinks:

More pigs, All shot within a few hours.