PDA

View Full Version : Delayed?

JohnH
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm just curious, a friend, who moved here last year, has an Alabama concealed carry permit, that requires a background check, had a concealed carry permit in Flordia, which requires fingerprinting for the background check, went to a Bass Pro Shop to buy a pistol today (Sunday), and was told the background check was delayed. Delayed? What is that? Not to start a frenzy, but I've never had a problem with a backgrond check, nor has he. He bought a rifle while still in Flordia a bit over a year ago, no problem, walked out the dooor with it. Today, Delayed..???? Has anyone else experienced a delay in background processing for no apparent reason recently? Makes me wonder if Mr Holder is beginning his old shenanagans.

WildmanJack
05-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Yup, I was at my local gun shop a few weeks ago and some guy had purchased a gun. He had to wait to have it delivered, and when it came in they told him that the state said that there was a delay in the background check!. He had a Florida CCW permit as well! Have no idea why..
Jack

mooman76
05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I have before and they told me it was because the computer was down and I believe they don't do the checks here on Sundays but I'm not positive.

stubshaft
05-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I've recently exceeded the 14 day waiting period for a permit to acquire. Apparently the local police aren't doing the background checks anymore. They are farming it out to the feds.

Johnch
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Guess I am luckey

I bought a pistol a few days back that I had ordered

It took longer to fill out the 4473 that it did to get the OK when he called it in

Handed him the check to finish paying
In and out in less than 15 min

John

44mag1
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I used to get delayed for who knows what reason. Went and got my ccw so I did'nt have to get called in anymore.

Bret4207
05-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I used to get delayed for who knows what reason. Went and got my ccw so I did'nt have to get called in anymore.

They always called me in, even when I was standing there in uniform.

dubber123
05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
A few years back, I got "Delayed" 9 times in a row. 9 times. I started going to a new shop, and when they "delayed" me, he just waited on the phone, and told me a delay just means they want to check further. It took a few more minutes, but sure enough, it went right through.

My previous dealer just hung up when they told him I was delayed. If you have a similar, (or same) name as a not so squeeky clean person, thats all thats needed to trigger a delay.

Tom Herman
05-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Even with a CCW.. The advantage here is that if you pass the check, you get to take the gun home on the spot. Without it, you have to wait a number of days.
I could see the BATF holding up approvals to gum things up. Even without their approval, the gun has to be released within a certain number of days.
So, all they could do is just slow down your taking delivery.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Trey45
05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I've been delayed twice, at 2 different gun shops, with maybe 4 or 5 years time between to 2 delays. Both times I eventually walked out of the shop with my firearm. One time took an extra 10 minutes, the 2nd time was closer to 45 minutes, but I did walk out with my guns each time.

Jbar4Ranch
05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I could see the BATF holding up approvals to gum things up. Even without their approval, the gun has to be released within a certain number of days.
So, all they could do is just slow down your taking delivery.

No, it doesn't. What they say is the law does not prohibit the dealer from selling the gun after 5(?) working days if they don't call back with a proceed. The sale is still up to the dealer. What has happened in the past is a customer gets delayed, the dealer sells the gun to them after the NICS mandated time frame, then they call back a day or three after that and tell the dealer the transaction has been denied... but he's already sold the gun to a prohibited person...
More and more dealers WILL NOT sell you a gun until they get a proceed back from the NICS check, and it is almost universally company policy with the bigger retailers.

sundog
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
With the internet being as it is, if enough people were getting denied all of a sudden, word would spread rapidly. Lots of calls and letters to congress critters would ensue, and there would be an uproar (kinda like the zumbo thing), after which things would return to normal. That is, of course, if you consider having to have "permission" to purchase a legal product as normal - which it is not!

Down South
05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Some years back I always got delayed. I thought it might have been because that I once held an FFL. Eventually the delays stopped and I haven’t had any more problems.

felix
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I guess it depends on if they "know" you are not. I know several higher-up cops through a couple of smithies who take care of my guns. I took delivery of three ACP's one day from my favorite smithy. He handed the phone to one of the cops who was in the store at the time. I got the approval in 5 seconds, tops. Like anything else, it depends on who you know. Typical BS, always, so knowing that, I constantly encouraged my two sons to know on a first name basis whomever they meet. It has paid off handsomely for both of them. ... felix

Geraldo
05-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Back when I worked part-time in a shop, the owner told me that some delays were caused by the name being checked. The more common the name, or if it is a name in common with an individual or individuals with criminal records, it is more likely to be delayed. I don't know how true this is, but I have a friend who had it happen with TSA screening, so it's certainly possible.

Short delays seemed to be caused by a lot of checks being called in at once or system issues.

IIRC all they ever told us was OK, not OK, or delayed. In the case of the latter two no reasons were given.

AZ-Stew
05-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Bret,

Arizona law is such that AZ CCW permit holders do not have to submit to the NICS. We fill out the 4473 and our CCW number is used as the "verification". The "waiting period" is solely dependent on how fast you can fill out the form.

Regards,

Stew

Wayne Smith
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Given my name I'm not surprised that it always takes about an hour for me to be cleared.

Nazgul
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Never been delayed.

Bought a 458 Win Mag Mod 70 several years ago, the store was full of people waiting. The dealer said everyone was being delayed that day for some reason. He called me in and was approved immediately. Got some funny looks, but was out the door in 20 minutes.

Don

dakotashooter2
05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm more inclined to believe that it has something to do with the current volume of guns being sold and a probable shortage of staff to process the checks. The BATF is struggling to keep their info current and accurate which makes me question how the H they think they would keep accurate records for the microstamping legislation the Dems keep hammering at.

JohnH
05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm more inclined to believe that it has something to do with the current volume of guns being sold and a probable shortage of staff to process the checks. The BATF is struggling to keep their info current and accurate which makes me question how the H they think they would keep accurate records for the microstamping legislation the Dems keep hammering at.

My neighbor came home today with the pistol. Fella on the counter told him that when the office they call is short handed or over loaded, they will simply tell the dealer teh sale is delayed, and put off the check untill a later time. Told him he would not be concerned with it unless it happens to him again. Said my neighbor could write and ask about the delay but would most likely get a non answer.

All this wouldn't have been so bad had the shop not been a 2 hour one way drive away. It's a terrible system that keeps honest folk from freely enjoying their rights while doing nothing to hamper, deter, or prevent criminal actions we are told the system exists to protect us from. I got a 45, I don't need no stinkin' government to protect me.

JohnH
05-05-2009, 10:29 PM

My neighbor came home today with the pistol. Fella on the counter told him that when the office they call is short handed or over loaded, they will simply tell the dealer the sale is delayed, and put off the check untill a later time. Told him he would not be concerned with it unless it happens to him again. Said my neighbor could write and ask about the delay but would most likely get a non answer.

All this wouldn't have been so bad had the shop not been a 2 hour one way drive away. It's a terrible system that keeps honest folk from freely enjoying their rights while doing nothing to hamper, deter, or prevent criminal actions we are told the system exists to protect us from. I got a 45, I don't need no stinkin' government to protect me.

looseprojectile
05-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Evidently I am a second class citizen.
I get delayed EVERY TIME I buy a firearm of any kind.
In Washington State the FBI does the Instant check, HA.
The county Sherriff has told me the FBI delays me because I was in court in 1964 and the FBI suspects it may have been a domestic dispute. Actually the rap was contempt of court as I did not show up at the time I was supposed to. Bad hearing and the Judge mumbled a lot.:-?
As I now understand it there is no way I can resolve this with the Instant check system. They have the power to do anything they want to without any recourse.
I even filled out the application to get a unique ID number to put on the 4473s and was denied. Since 1964 I have owned a gunshop and had an FFL and gave it up when I closed the shop years later. Never a hint of any violations. When I buy a gun I will wait three to seven days before the dealer can deliver it to me. They can't deny me but they sure can screw with me. May be time for a call to my Congress critter or Senator.

Life is good