PDA

View Full Version : Solder for cast bullets?

littlejack
05-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Good afternoon fella's:
Been a while since i,ve been on the forum. I hope every body is doing well.
My question is, I have an unlimited source of 40/60 solder. Has anyone used this mix as is for cast bullets? It would be mainly for handguns. Does anyone know what the BHN would be, as I do not have a hardness measureing device?
I do use it to mix with my pure lead to get my 20-1 alloy for my 45-70.
Seeing as how ww's are getting so hard to aquire, I was wondering what to expect if I cast bullets from the solder mix. I will try it before long, but figured someone may have already.
Jack

southpaw
05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Welcome back!!

I have done that but not to shoot just to check the specific gravity to find the % tin. The boolits look real good but they are real hard and they weigh a good bit less.

I am sure that there are a bunch of people that would love to trade you ww for the solder. Try posting it in the swapping and selling. good luck.

Jerry Jr.

jimkim
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
You got that right. I would love to trade some.

SciFiJim
05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Southpaw, what was the method that you used to find the percentage of tin in the alloy? I have some solder ingots that I wanted to verify.

mtgrs737
05-03-2009, 11:23 PM
An unlimited source of 40/60 solder! OMG! Talk about the fox guarding the hen house! Speaking from a casters viewpoint YOU are in the catbird's seat!! We casters live for Cheap Tin !

littlejack
05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
OK you guys.
I need to get another supply before I make any trades or promises. I need some left over for my own use you know.
I am recovering from knee surgery last Thursday. Give me some time on this. I will get back to you.
Jack

Down South
05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Unlimited supply of 40/60. Hmmmmm, A casters dream come true.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't let that un-limited supply bite you, best to protect your source, so it doesn't dry up!!!![smilie=1:

jdgabbard
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I would love to have about 50 pounds of 60/40...

southpaw
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Southpaw, what was the method that you used to find the percentage of tin in the alloy? I have some solder ingots that I wanted to verify.

I read about this on here so I cant take credit but here is the formula. This only works if there is only tin and lead in the mix. If I get this wrong someone please correct me.

Take a piece of the lead ( casting one into a boolit works great. The heavier the better as long as you can weigh it on your scale ) and weigh it. This will be your sample weight ( sw ). Suspend that same piece from a string and hang it on your scale ( 4# mono works great ). This will be your dry weight ( dw ). Fill a cup 2/3 - 3/4 will room temp water and suspend the piece in the water ( just under the surface is best ). This is your wet weight (ww).

Now here is what to do with those numbers sw/(dw-ww)=specific gravity (sg). 2049.06/sg-180.69=%tin.

Here are some numbers for reference: ~7.318sg= pure tin. ~8.882sg=50/50 tin/lead. ~11.34sg=pure lead

Hope that this helps and hope that I am right.[smilie=1::drinks:

Down South
05-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I hope that your knee surgery went well. I know several that have went through it with great results if it was replacement. If I were you I'd mix a little of that solder, about 2% with WW for a good boolit. Littlejack, if you decide to sell some of that solder then let me know. I'm running short and need some. If you don't won't to bother then I understand.

littlejack
05-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Down South:
Thanks for the, Went Well. It was the arthroscopy surgery. I guess it is going well, i'm stiff in all the WRONG places. I guess the bod wears out after a while. After he got in there, there was more wrong than the doctor thought. Loose ends all over the place. Looked like a string factory. I go in for my post op appointment this Friday.
Can't make any promises on the solder right now. Wait untill I get on my feet again. It might take a few weeks before I can get another batch, and then cast it into ingots.
Jack