PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Unique appear on the burn tables?

ironhat
05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I've determined by the threads that Unique is at or near the burn rate of Green Dot but why doesn't it show up on the tables? Same with Varget. I've never used either one but I'm just starting with CB loading.

TIA!
Chiz

longbow
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Both show up in my powder burn rate tables. I have two tables an both powders are in both tables.

In one table Green Dot is #29 & Unique #53.

In the other Green Dot is #15 and Unique is #26.

I do not know how much difference in burn rate that represents but obviously there are many powders in between.

Longbow

mooman76
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Probably an oversite or they don't have listed that brand of powders for whatever reason. They are in all of mine. Lee 2nd lists Universal22, Unique 23 and SR7625 as 24.
Accurate 2230 62, H-Varget 64, and Win 748 64. Yes Vaget and Win 748 were listed the same number. At first I thought it was a typo but they do it several times so I suppose they tied.

ironhat
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
No, no oversight, Mooman. At least not on their part. It was on mine. I forgot to add the manufacturers name (Alliant) to Unique. And, yes, there are quite a few powders between GD and Unique. Another example that solid data is needed when deciding to substitute powders. Now, can you folks tell me who makes Varget, please?!:veryconfu

Heavy lead
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Hodgdon makes Varget

Rocky Raab
05-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Actually, ADI of Australia makes Varget, and all other of Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders. In the Land of Oz, it is known as AR2208.

Hodgdon does not and never has manufactured smokeless powder. They just package and sell it.

Burn rate tables that simply list in numerical order are next to useless because so many powders are identical or nearly so. You have no way of knowing if two powders ranked adjacent are the same or very different in burn rate.