PDA

View Full Version : is this stuff linotype?

housedad
05-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I have about 200 lbs of type that I can pick up. It consists mostly of individual letters about the size of newspaper print. The parts are about 6/10ths or so long. Some of the batch is full words of the same size.

What is your best guess as to what it is and if it is worth getting?

Thanks

Bion

(PS brass sales willl begin again shortly)

randyrat
05-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Grab it and run. I pay about $1.25/lb maybe more sometimes. Sounds like Monotype and linotype which is good.

housedad
05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
He wants 35 cents/lbs for it. Figures its just a different lead.

randyrat
05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Thats a basement bargan price. Use it wisely and 200lbs will last you a very long time. Learn to Water Quench WWs and use your hard alloy to fine tune batches of scrap or make batches of lead/bullets consistant in weight.

Hardcast416taylor
05-03-2009, 05:43 PM
That price is about what ww is going for some places, definatley grab onto it. I agree with Randy that it sounds like monotype with some linotype mixed in. The mono will take some getting used to as it melts abit differently than lino. There are threads on using mono here about that will explain it. :castmine: Robert

runfiverun
05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
the letters shopuld be lino and the parts should be lino or mono.
i picked up a bunch of the parts that were threw in the scrap lead bbl at the recyclers for .40 a lb.
they had no clue what it was.
since your lino is used i would melt it all together and call it lino especially at that price.
my guy wants .65 a lb for it. but it is still in the triangular pigs.

Shiloh
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
AS stated a little goes a long way.
I don't have a hardness tester, but with cleaned and smelted range scrap, about a pound and a half of Lino or so gives me a batch of rifle boolits that will water harden and shoot nicely with no leading from '06 and Krag service rifles.

Shiloh

snaggdit
05-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I had to identify some foundry type a while back. What I was told was foundry was used as full letter sets to repeatedy set up printing jobs. It is harder than lino so would last much longer. Lino and mono was also used for letter sets, but made by machines as needed for individual jobs, normally. As for the words, I would think that they would be lino, since they are full words and not as versitile. In "smelting" down the foundry type, I ran into issues with the top developing an oatmeal kind of sludge. I was told that this is the tin and antimony having trouble melting with the lead. Someone suggested using charcoal and a (dry) wood stick to flux with. It worked like a charm. The ingots took a lot longer to harden in the molds and really looked junky on the surfaces (bubbly with porosity) but it worked with no oatmeal left to skim off. I have made several batches of .30 cal rifle boolits with a 8:1 WW/Foundry mix and they come out hard. Sounds like a good deal. I would go for it. PS: Still interested in some 45 brass...

stubshaft
05-03-2009, 06:51 PM
BUY IT NOW! At $.35 @lb how can you go wrong.

kelbro
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
In "smelting" down the foundry type, I ran into issues with the top developing an oatmeal kind of sludge. I was told that this is the tin and antimony having trouble melting with the lead. Someone suggested using charcoal and a (dry) wood stick to flux with. It worked like a charm. The ingots took a lot longer to harden in the molds and really looked junky on the surfaces (bubbly with porosity) but it worked with no oatmeal left to skim off.

Noticed the same thing today with some type that I purchased. Cranked up the heat to ~700 and fluxed with my wood stick and all was well. Took so long to cool that I started pouring about 1/2 muffin cups.

randyrat
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
You will find that oatmeal (with mono or lino) untill the temp is high enough and it is Fluxed. use whatever you have, i use saw dust and mix with a wooden stick and it goes away.

mtgrs737
05-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I would buy it all, If you have more than you need you can double your money on a 50lb box of it by selling it to ME!

housedad
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I will go see him and get it all tomorrow. wish me luck!!

Slow Elk 45/70
05-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Luck !!!

243winxb
05-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Good stuff, and the price is right. You may have to add some tin as it gets depleted from many remelts. Vitaflux was used years ago. The stick has a Tin outside as the container, with the flux inside. A piece was hacksawed off and added to the pot. Fluxed and added tin at the same time. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12255 http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/Vitaflux_20090504_1.jpg