PDA

View Full Version : My coach, and teacher passaway

Ivantherussian03
05-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I knew him as a student. I ran for him in cross country and track, running the middle and long distances. He taught government and American history in class. He taught me about ancillary things about hard work, determination, and may have helped create this sardonic sense of humour I have. He taught me to know myself, both my strengths, and my limitations. I knew him later as a adult while coached, and even drank beer with him once as an adult. I never knew him well...or what made him tic. He was off beat and very different from what one would call normal. He kept his former students and athletes at a cool distance, but I admired him, and accepted this. He coached for 30 years, winning many championships in cross country and track and field. He shaped me as much as my father did, and the man I am today. He must have loved his job, standing in the Oregon rain in January and February, while his athletes ran intervals on the track.... thank you sir for everything. :drinks:

gon2shoot
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
People that dedicate thier lives to shaping young folks will always be missed.
Sorry for your loss Ivan.

45nut
05-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I will second that.

archmaker
05-03-2009, 04:58 PM
It has been 18 years since my football coach passed away. The lessons he taught me on the football field are still with me and have made me who I am today.

Ivan . . .

Amen, God Bless him and all the coaches who taught us how to be men.

Ben
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a retired school principal ( and coach ).

I can tell you that players and coaches have a relationship with each other than is not mimicked by anything else.

Tough lessons that prepare us for life are provided by coaches. I'm a better person because of the efforts of my coaches back in the early 60's also.

Sorry for you loss,

Ben

runfiveswife
05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
sorry for your loss ivan, our prayers are with you

mstarling
05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Many of us have someone in our lives that was very, very influential. They are very hard to lose. Took a while for me to remember that their gift lives on in the receivers.

Our condolences for your loss and our small prayers for you and the others gifted by this fine guy.

Ivantherussian03
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
THANKS EVERYONE--I APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS AND WORDS.

I think people need to step and be thankful for the gifts in their lives. I have been doing that alot recent days. I have been blessed with a great gifts: friends, grandparents,parents, a career I love, my special talents, and loving wife. I have also been blessed some amount of security, which I appreciate.

I had not spoke with my coach in years, and we when did speak the conversations were mostly brief. I understand why now, and do the same thing myself. I am going reconnect with friends and touch base with people over the summer.

Ivantherussian03
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
THANKS EVERYONE--I APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS AND WORDS.

I think people need to step back and be thankful for the gifts in their lives. I have been doing that alot recent days. I have been blessed with a great gifts: friends, grandparents,parents, a career I love, my special talents, and loving wife. I have also been blessed some amount of security, which I appreciate.

I was caught off guard my reaction to all this.

I had not spoke with my coach in years, and we when did speak the conversations were mostly brief. I understand why now, and do the same thing myself. I am going reconnect with friends and touch base with people over the summer.

Leadforbrains
05-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Ivan I am sorry to hear of your loss. I dont have any words to offer you to give you comfort, but I will remember you in my prayers today.

Love to shoot
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
ivan god is on your send your players fot you