PDA

View Full Version : Range lead- worth it?

evan price
05-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I may have access to a large quantity of range lead from an indoor range with steel plate backstops. Currently it is sold to a commercial scrap dealer. I saw rows of 5-gallon buckets of scrap cleaned from the backstop waiting for the scrap dealer. What's a fair price to offer for this? Is it worth saving from the scrap dealer? The local recyclers I called are going between 3 and 5 cents a pound for range scrap lead. I thought to offer ten cents a pound, maybe $20 a bucket to make it simple. I don't want to be insulting, though I also don't want to overpay.

Back when I was a mechanic years ago WW were everywhere and thrown out. I never stored them then because I was stupid and thought they'd be here forever. Now-

I've tried calling around to find WW or lead scrap but so far every tire shop has a contract to return WW to the Exide company with battery scrap, the recyclers won't sell it to me, and I don't have a source for hospital lead anymore.

I might be able to find small amounts of WW and battery ends from a junkyard friend of mine. But that's not much.

I do not currently cast my own bullets but I already use lead slugs for all my pistol calibers and am strongly considering getting into casting. At present time (given that everything is sold out or priced stupid high) I would probably just remelt and cast into ingots and put them away in the crawl space for later.

I've got an old BBQ grille and lots of propane for heat, gallons of used motor oil for flux, and lots of angle iron I can weld up some ingot molds out of.

Anything else to consider?

stubshaft
05-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Theres no harm in offering $20.00 a bucket. They can only say no or set a price.

218bee
05-02-2009, 09:01 PM
personally 20-25 bucks a bucket would be good for me. I would buy all I could afford at that price (assuming 5 gal buckets maybe 75-100 lbs). Last trip to my scrap yard they wanted .40 a pound....I did find some good stuff though

RayinNH
05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Evan, check the ongoing thread;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=560260#post560260

August
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Range scrap tends to be quite hard. You'll probably want a source of pure lead, also, to alloy the scap with. Another issue in figuring the price is the amount of jacketed scrap in the mix. That is lost in the recovery of the lead, therefore you end up with less than you paid for.

Also, many advise against smelting jacketed bullets because of the potential for explosion in the pot. Many will say they've never had a problem with this, but the guys who say it's happened to them give some pretty sobering accounts of the consequences.

If I could buy range scrap for .20 a pound, I'd jump on it.

imashooter2
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Range scrap tends to be quite hard. You'll probably want a source of pure lead, also, to alloy the scap with.
-snip-

Not my experience at all. I've used quite a bit of indoor range scrap. Every bucket is different, but in general I find it harder than pure, but softer than WW.

Tom Herman
05-03-2009, 12:27 AM
First off, welcome aboard!

Doggone right it's worth it! As you've experienced, lead in all forms is getting hard to come by in certain areas. Get all you can!
Don't be too cheap... If the range is getting 5 cents a pound, offer between 10 and 15 cents a pound so they will sell to you, and build a rappor with them. You want them to be HAPPY to deal with you, even if someone wants the lead worse and is willing to bid more than you do.
I, too, loaded for over twenty years before casting. Seeing .45 Long Colt's going for $75/500 IF you could find them was the last straw.
I've more than recovered my costs for molds, the furnace, and other accessories just in the first year.
I've learned to scrounge wherever I can, and developed friendships. I also trade my sources loaded ammo for the wheel weights.
Good Luck and Happy Shootin'!

-Tom

anachronism
05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Not my experience at all. I've used quite a bit of indoor range scrap. Every bucket is different, but in general I find it harder than pure, but softer than WW.

This has been my experience too. Most indoor range scrap is from jacketed bullets, which have swaged cores. Swaged lead is almost universally much softer than hard cast.

Once you get the jacket fragments out, save them in an old coffee can & let them accumulate. You can sell scrap copper for decent money, if you watch the market.

Kskybroom
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Just finished about 1200 lbs of Out Door range scrap. 3/4 55 gal drum. Got 900 lbs lead, 300 lbs scrap, Took 7 20 lbs propane tanks. Took forever to get hot. But the hotter the better for skimming jackets off. The more sand you remove the better. Next time I will wash it. The sand makes it hard to skim off jackets. I smelted in about 50 lb lots. Made it into big 50lb ingots didn't flux. Then melted 250 lbs in my plummers pot. Fluxing at 100 and 250. Made 79 to 86 3 lbs ingots to a batch. Every batch seems differant all on the soft side closer to pure an #2. I've learned to be very careful. Live rounds,Unburnt Powder (indoor) Water, indoor and outdoor scrap had popping throughout the smelt. Never add to a hot pot. Start from cold pot and always cover the pot. It's alot of work but you get good lead. ( no zink ) Its good for mixing an trading your buds for?? At the end I always say not again. But in one week I'm looking for more.

Lee
05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Get what you can now. Worry about what to do with it later, including price.
It's only going to get worse............

Errrr, where in OH? I'm in NE OHIO..........

mooman76
05-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I'd offer $10 a bucket to keep it simple. That's still more than the 3-5 cents a pound they are getting and you could always up the amount if they don't like it plus that 3-5 cents isn't a picked up price and you can save them the trouble of delivery!

Johnw...ski
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I'd offer $10 a bucket to keep it simple. That's still more than the 3-5 cents a pound they are getting and you could always up the amount if they don't like it plus that 3-5 cents isn't a picked up price and you can save them the trouble of delivery!

Low balling the offer seems the way to go. I usually get my range scrap for nothing so it's worth the extra work, I wouldn't even bother if I had to pay much more than a nominal cost for it.
Don't forget you are going to have some really dirty crap to get rid of after smelting that stuff.

John

evan price
05-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Getting rid of the crap is not a problem for me- the shredder won't notice a bucket full of dross dumped in the trunk of a junk car.

I'll start at ten bucks a bucket. Worst they can do is say no, right? Follow up to come later.

Brick85
05-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I figure I'll go with 15 cents a lb, and offer to bring in a bathroom scale. My thought is that I can probably actually make a profit and keep the lead, by keeping aside the jackets and selling those to the scrap yard. Anyone ever try that? How much do you get for it, and is there a good way to truly separate them so there's no lead in the jacket material? I'm figuring that there'd be a coating of lead still, like when you solder a wire. Also, wouldn't some stay inside any busted jackets that aren't flattened or shredded?

imashooter2
05-06-2009, 10:28 PM
The lead separates from the jackets easily. The jackets will be burnt and nasty when finished. The scrap yards around here won't touch them, but other folks have reported selling them as "#2 copper."

evan price
05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Welp, this is up in smoke.

I offered $20 a bucket for his range lead and $1 a pound for bulk unsorted range brass, and I would provide containers & labor. I would provide two of the commercial wheeled trashcans with hinged lids and swap them out with empties.
The lead buckets would be 4-gallon square plastic kitty-litter buckets with lids. I have access to a huge lot of those.

He said no, and actually laughed.

He wants $300 a five gallon bucket for range brass- including the .22's, aluminum Blazer, steel case crap, whatever floor-sweepings get mixed in.

Lead he wouldn't even discuss a price but told me to come back with a "real offer".

I guess he's got somebody paying better? Heck with it.

imashooter2
05-18-2009, 06:17 AM
He wants too much. You were right to walk away.

Brick85
05-18-2009, 09:29 AM
The local range here has a deal with a reloading company, brass for ammo. Perhaps that's why the guy wanted $300 for the brass--you may have seen how 100 rounds of various autoloader pistol brass sells for $3-$5, and there's thousands of rounds of that in a 5 gallon bucket.

My advice is to scoop up a few handfuls each time you go. Most ranges don't seem to mind someone doing this as long as you're not obnoxious about it.

armyrat1970
05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Welp, this is up in smoke.

I offered $20 a bucket for his range lead and $1 a pound for bulk unsorted range brass, and I would provide containers & labor. I would provide two of the commercial wheeled trashcans with hinged lids and swap them out with empties.
The lead buckets would be 4-gallon square plastic kitty-litter buckets with lids. I have access to a huge lot of those.

He said no, and actually laughed.

He wants $300 a five gallon bucket for range brass- including the .22's, aluminum Blazer, steel case crap, whatever floor-sweepings get mixed in.

Lead he wouldn't even discuss a price but told me to come back with a "real offer".

I guess he's got somebody paying better? Heck with it.

Years ago I bought several 5 gallon buckets of mixed range brass for $20 a bucket. No way I would pay $300 for a 5 gallon bucket right now. I have enough from the other buckets I bought for my own use, probably for my lifetime. And still have some I can sell to anyone that wants them and not rip them off in the process. I'd tell him to stick it, with a smile.
You have to sort the cases your self, which takes a lot of time. You have to clean and polish them before selling, which burns up a lot of electricty. Then you have to sort to make sure there are no Berdan primed cases. Case by case. Seperate military from commercial. All of this takes a lot of time and effort. Believe me I sold cases on EvilBay years back. Tumbled and cleaned 10's of 1000's of cases. You can make a few on the return but at $300 a bucket it ain't worth the time and effort. I did it to make a few bucks for extra handloading equipment and may try again but I will not pay any more than $50 a bucket for range brass. It takes a lot of work and time to get it ready to sell. you can find a lot you will keep for yourself but you need to get rid of the rest some way. Your not going to get the money back from selling it for scrap. There may be a wider market for selling cleaned and polished range brass right now since components are hard to come by but you are not going to be able to ask a high price for all of the time and effort you have to spend to get it to a point where someone will buy it. I recently sold 1700 9mm cases along with 26 pulled bullets for $55. Half were tumbled cleaned and I shipped. Check Midway and see what their grade 3 cases are going for now without being cleaned and the buyer has to pay shipping. It's outrageous.

Dale53
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
At the height of the metals price, we (our local club) sold our indoor range bullet metal to a scrap dealer for $.65 per lb (AND the dealer did all of the work). It enabled us to put several hundred dollars in the treasury. We also sold our fired brass (mostly .22 rimfire) and got $300.00 for a small barrel. It was a real windfall for the club. Now, we probably couldn't give the stuff away.

FWIW
Dale53

HORNET
05-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't even pay $300 for a 5 gallon bucket full of Asperly Aimless brass.......

briang
05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
That guy is gonna have that stuff for a while at those prices.

imashooter2
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
That guy is gonna have that stuff for a while at those prices.

Yeah, go back in a couple of months and see if he's drowning in the stuff yet. A lot of guys got spoiled by the blip last year.

Storydude
05-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Go back with a copy of the Wall street Journal.

Show him the spot prices for Lead Ingot, known alloy.

That's what brand new lead is sold for.
He's selling Lead Scrap, Unknown alloy.
Make this aware to the guy.

Local yard is paying 12 cents a Lb for WW and .22 for Dead soft Lead. NY state.

sdelam
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
[/QUOTE]
Now, we probably couldn't give the stuff away.

FWIW
Dale53[/QUOTE]

I'm moving to Dayton soon, you can give it away:-D

Dale53
05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Uh-h-h, sdelam, just a figure of speech, just a figure of speech...[smilie=1:

Dale53

evan price
05-21-2009, 02:45 AM
I had several ranges on contract to pull their brass. As of March, two decided not to renew the contracts because I won't pay much over the current daily spot for yellow brass at the smelter, which they liked when it was $2 a pound, but now that it is around $.75 a pound they don't like it so much. One of them is now selling range brass themselves and I occasionally buy a bag or two as needed.

I still pick up at the one police range but they are only busy during qualifications otherwise it's only a few hundred rounds a week. During annual qualifications there's a 5-gal bucket every week, mostly .40 and .223 from issue weaps with a good bit of 9mm and .45 and .380 from guys with non-issue carry pieces and on GOOD days a bit of .308 from the SWAT guys.

The public ranges have gone from some brass to ZERO BRASS at all.

Hey, at least I saw this coming and saved back buckets full for my personal use.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking for lead if I want to start casting my own instead of buying boolits.

smaj100
06-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a deal going with our local indoor range. I purchase brass from him for $2 a pound which works out to be about $60 for a large painters bucket 5gal. We recently began talking about buying range lead from the metal backstop. He said small qty's would be $8 per 100lb. I thought exceptionally decent of him as far as prices go. He made me the offer to clean the backstop of all lead and jacketed material for free. The only problem is there is probably 10k-lbs of it. I don't have a place to store that much lead. Keep searching around you can find decent range owners to work with.

:drinks:

oneokie
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
10 K lbs of lead does not take up much space.

sundog
06-09-2009, 11:33 PM
not a very big pile at all, is it?

runfiverun
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM
not at 700 lbs a square foot it don't

imashooter2
06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Could be a long weekend making ingots though...

briang
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Close to 14 cubic feet after smelting, I'd be all over that deal if I were you. Heck if I was local I'd offer to help you do it.

06-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I called a local range to see what they were selling their scrap lead for. 1.79 a pound. Not really interested. They have an interesting policy. if it falls in front of their line, its theirs, if its behind the line, you can police your own.

BOOM BOOM
06-18-2009, 01:37 AM
HI,
I ,in the past, was able to scrounge WW from Big O when I bought tires, sometimes when I got the tires rotated as well. Not any more, they get $40 a 5 gal. bucket From the local battery recyclers.

WILCO
06-18-2009, 01:43 AM
First off, welcome aboard!

Ditto for me! :drinks:

XWrench3
06-18-2009, 07:33 AM
$300.00 a five gallon bucket for brass? wholy rip off batman! did you remind him it was brass, not GOLD!? aw, nevermind. but man, that dude has some high expectations. let him have it. if he can sell it at those prices, good for him. but i would think he will not. more likely, he has either a contract with someone, or he has a relative he gets rid of it to that sells it off as sorted cleaned brass on the internet.

XWrench3
06-18-2009, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE][ The only problem is there is probably 10k-lbs of it. I don't have a place to store that much lead. Keep searching around you can find decent range owners to work with.
/QUOTE]

get a couple of tarps and store it on one tarp, and cover it up with the other. it is lead, it will not be eaten by strange animals in the night!

TAWILDCATT
06-21-2009, 01:28 PM
indoor range lead is NOT hard lead.22s are soft and jacket lead is soft.if handloads are shot it is hard as WW.so its all good to go.
the guy with 300 a bucket must be related to the to ashats in my town at 100 a bucket.they will end up with all those buckets and no place to go.[smilie=s:

smaj100
07-04-2009, 12:09 AM
That sucks armyrat. I'm starting to feel very fortunate that I have a great working relationship with my local indoor range. I normally pay $60 for a large 5 gall painters bucket of brass. The lead I am paying $8/100lb for it out of the backstop room. He offered me the lead for free if I would take it all out. I just don't have the time or place to store 15-20k/lbs of lead. I am military as well and will be pcs'ing to ft drum ny next year so I think I am going to start stockpiling. I've been trying to get as much WW lead as I can to blend the range lead with to keep it hard enough for my 380 & 40.

:castmine::coffee:

anachronism
07-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Our local range sell his brass for $2.00/lb too. I asked him about lead & he gave me some friggin' impossible number, like $150.00/5 gal. bucket. I'd rather scrounge wheelweights...

Jim_Fleming
07-04-2009, 11:06 AM
You have access to 15-20 k of lead...? It's a shame you don't have time or the assistance/assistants that're interested in helping you break that lead down such that the 'wealth' could be spread around... Here on groupbuys that Pb would probably go well...

Personally, I wish I lived a lot closer to Alabama, together we'd work something out.

That sucks armyrat. I'm starting to feel very fortunate that I have a great working relationship with my local indoor range. I normally pay $60 for a large 5 gall painters bucket of brass. The lead I am paying $8/100lb for it out of the backstop room. He offered me the lead for free if I would take it all out. I just don't have the time or place to store 15-20k/lbs of lead. I am military as well and will be pcs'ing to ft drum ny next year so I think I am going to start stockpiling. I've been trying to get as much WW lead as I can to blend the range lead with to keep it hard enough for my 380 & 40.

:castmine::coffee:

evan price
08-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Found a source for $10 for a 60# bucket of range lead. Seems to melt down nice, got 48# of ingots out of 60# bucket, and 10# of copper jackets. Seems to be pretty hard, almost as hard as WW, there were a lot of cast boolits in the bucket.