PDA

View Full Version : Hornady gas check question.

ridin_shotgun
05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Can I put a crimp-on gas check onto a soft lead bullet not made for gas checks?

stubshaft
05-02-2009, 08:35 PM
The gas check normall seats into a rebated shank in the base of the bullet. I do not see a way of affixing it to the base of as bullet not made for a gas check. You can try to put the gas check into the case over the powder and seat the bullet on top of it

jdgabbard
05-02-2009, 08:39 PM
A little off topic. But has anyone cast any handgun boolits out of pure and seating the check??? The reason I as is for a hunting load, seems that a boolit that will expand a little but still have a gas check to cut the leading might be handy. Anyone experimented?

9.3X62AL
05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I would respectfully recommend against the practice suggested by Stubshaft. Any air space left, created, or occurring between the gas check and the bullet base has the potential to create a "ringed" chamber upon firing.

ETA--J.D., take a look at BruceB's softpoint casting method, archived or stickied herein.

mooman76
05-02-2009, 08:41 PM
You could get some soft checks or use some fill which acts like a check to a degree. Are they staight walled cases? You could use a wad under the bullet.

beagle
05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes. You'll have to swage the base band down sufficiently to accept the check. This requires having a sizer the diameter of the ID of the check. Swage down the base band, apply the check and size and lube like normal. I've done it on PB .25s and also on PB .358 200 grain pistol bullets for use in the .35 Remington.

The problem you encounter is finding a sizer die of the right diamater as the ID diamater of GCs are oddball size usually. I had mine custom made by a friend./beagle

Can I put a crimp-on gas check onto a soft lead bullet not made for gas checks?

PatMarlin
05-02-2009, 09:00 PM
On my list is designing Checkmaker dies to make a thin copper check for plain base Keith boolits and others.

I have experimented with some with very good success, but the lead has got to be soft or wheel weights worked when sized as soon as they cooled. A few days later and it was a no go. Stick on weights worked well though.

beagle
05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Or, you can take a GC, punch a #10 hole in the center, place them in a steel jar lid on top of the melt to get hot, take tweezers and insert in the mould base and cast through the hole. This works pretty well but is labor intensive. Any ah sh_ts! can be recycled./beagle