PDA

View Full Version : .32 special marlin update

mainiac
05-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Got the .32 up over 2100 f.p.s. today with splendid accuracy! Most all groups are under an inch@ 50 yards, and today a couple of 1 hole groups with the ranch dog boolit and also the rcbs. H-335 powder is shooting real well. Will see what happens over 2200 f.p.s. next. Today was a test between the .323 size boolits,and the .321 boolits. Didnt really draw any conclusions. Cleaned her this evening after 130 rounds,and no leading observed! You might say that i REALLY love this old marlin!!!!

sundog
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Gotta love it. Nothing like those old 'obsolete' cartridges to keep the juices flowing!

Is that Marlin iron sight or scope?

How did you prep the RD boolit, LLA (owl snot), or through a loob-sizer with what loob?

Any preference yet for the RD or RCBS boolit?

mainiac
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Sundog, aint found a preference yet as of molds, nor boolit diameter. I have shot more really small groups with the ranchdog boolit, but an occational flyer. The rcbs never gives fliers. My gun is a 1951 with 20 inch barrell.I got a reciever sight on it,along with a white 16th marble bead. I use felix lube,and run the ranchdogs threw the lube sizer just like the rcbs. Would like to experiment with other lubes, but that is another variable,and with the felix lube i NEVER have leading problems! Cant make myself shoot anything different. P.S. the ranchdog boolits that i have been shooting,is the same ones you sent me last winter. Havent bought my own mold yet,and i here that i better buy one soon,because he quitting the business?

sundog
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Good report, keep shoosting! Michael is quiting his mail order mould business, but apparently Lee has agreed to take up the RD line, so they should still be available. The prototype I have is going to get turned into a plain base as soon as I can catch up to my machinist buddy. Won't that be neat? A plain base for the 32 Spl! I'll cast a WHOLE BUNCH of them and then return that mould to Michael. Of course, I have one of the production run moulds, so if you can't get one right away and run low, let me know. If it's not middle of summer I can whip you up another batch. I don't cast much in mid to late summer here doncha know - too steekin' hot.

btw, I put a receiver sight on my M94, but have not yet had opportunity to try it. The Lyman tang has no windage adjust, and that just is not right (shoulda gone with a Marbles). If it works out, the tang sight will be coming off, permanently.

mainiac
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Just went over to the ranchdog site and bought me a mold.before its to late. Moneys tight right now,but i dont want to be without this boolit.

mainiac
05-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Sundog, analizing my data from yesterday, i see where the .323 sized boolits have alot more E.S. than the .321,s do. The .321 must slide out of the barrell easier and therefore more consistant? Anyhow, it dont really matter to much,as even though the .323,s had worse numbers, they averaged better groups. Chrono data dont intrest me much,but it is fun to play around with once in a while.