PDA

View Full Version : WW at recycler

dabsond
05-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Found a local recycling center that wants $.30 cents a pound for WW. Good price? They just want a phone call and they will have how much I order ready for pickup.

softpoint
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
That doesn't appear to be too bad to me. I traded a load of scrap steel to the recycler here for credit on wheelweights, Got 1450 lbs. at .35 a pound. :drinks:

shooterg
05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
See if they'll let you pick out the zinc/steel so you're just buying lead alloy.

jsizemore
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
How much time and gas would you expend to accumulate say 1500 lbs driving around checking tire shops?
If you get about 80% useable ingots from your WW that would put you at $.37 1/2 a pound. I don't think you can go anywhere, even on this site, and pay that much for ready to cast ingots. I figure it costs me about $.06/ lb. for propane.

HeavyMetal
05-02-2009, 07:01 PM
.30 cents a pound works out to $30 per hundred Lbs.

A good deal on any day considering cost of fuel, time to sort garbage that sort of thing.

If the "lead" is full of junk, a la the local tire shop buckets of WW, then I'd want a little better price because I wouldn't be buying usable metal.

If it's a usable WW metal with no zinc or trash buy a bunch and don't look back!

I have a recycler/ scrap yard here very local and I was in last week looking for plate steel I saw they had soft lead and some cast ingots. Asked how much; guy said $1.00 per pound.

Told him that was way to high and he could keep it! Got my steel and left. Might give his office a call and see if they are a little more understanding of current pricing!

Ole
05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I think that's a good deal in today's market.

largom
05-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Last month my recycler was selling lead or wheel weights for $.20 per lb. I picked up 300 lbs. of sheet lead will go back this week and check on WW.
Larry

Mallard57
05-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Neither one of our recyclers have any lead at all, I'd jump on it!!!!!
Jeff

Chunky Monkey
05-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Neither does my recycling centers. I stopped by a week or so and all they had was some soft lead pipe and chunks. I took if for about .25/lb. WW are getting slim and none to find around here.

jsizemore
05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I have a gas station that I give my zinc and steel WW. There is no law in my area restricting their reuse. Good will goes a long way.

Randall
05-03-2009, 12:01 PM
the only place I can find lead at is selling WW .70 cents a pound and lead 1.00 a pound, I was giving .40 cents a pound. anyone know a cheaper place in the Tulsa area?

evan price
05-03-2009, 10:16 PM
The recycling places in Central Ohio tell me they are not allowed to sell any materials- it's all under contract. Most of them are PSC metals or Sims; I've seen lots of good stuff that I would have bought otherwise. Aluminum truck toolboxes, copper sheet, mag wheels, lawnmowers, etc. The only places that will sell to me are the scrap metal yards, to them lead is a bad thing (because it interferes with the crucibles at the mills).

JIMinPHX
05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
If I hadn't just laid my hands on a huge pile of lead shot, I would jump at $0.30/lb for WW. I'm sure that you can sell them off for $0.40/lb + shipping to people on this board that are having a hard time finding them.

watkibe
05-15-2009, 12:29 AM
The manager at the tire shop where I had my snow tires taken off told me he would fill up a 5 gallon bucket with wheelweights for $20 bucks. I didn't have a bucket with me. When I went back I took a 3 gallon bucket because that was what I was able to find. I would have given him the $20 for it full of WW, but he only wanted $10 for it. It worked out well, because I was barely able to carry the smaller bucket full of WW to the truck and then into the house ! I don't have a scale, but my guesstimate is it weighs about as much as a small sack of concrete. Whats that, 70 pounds or so ? If the bucket is half crap, then that's about 30 cents a pound ? Anyway, I'm happy !

crabo
05-15-2009, 12:36 AM
It's .75 a pound here.

watkibe
07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I just went through the first bucket of wheel weights from a tire store that I have bought in years. ($10 for 3 gallon bucket) The big surprise to me is that almost half the bucket is zinc wheel weights. Also, there are are 2 kinds of iron weights, stick on and clip on types. It used to be that "sorting" meant throwing out the old valve stems that got thrown in the bucket by the tire guy, but not anymore !
The guy at the store said he has a regular recycler that comes by to buy his scrap weights. I was thinking I should take the zinc weights back to him when I go for another bucket full. If he can sell them to his scrap buyer, I'm sure he will appreciate it....by selling me more wheel weights to sort.

KY_Camper
07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
I figure it costs me about $.06/ lb. for propane.

Where do you find propane that cheap? I sell propane and pay a LOT more than that wholesale for it.

Wait. I just realized you are talking about per pound of lead not per pound of propane. Sorry.

Aegis
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
.75 here if you can find it

GabbyM
07-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Jump on it.