PDA

View Full Version : Old lubrisizer

Mark Daiute
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Anyone got any info on this old lubirisizer I found?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/Mayne1713/lubrisizer1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/Mayne1713/lubrisizer2.jpg

HeavyMetal
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
That is a Lyman 45 lube sizer, current RCBS and Lyman dies work in it, and I see it has suffered from the usual problem and has had the handle welded back on!

In case your wondering someone was using it in to cold a room or using to hard a lube, without a heater, and snapped the handle off.

A good starter sizer particularly if it came with a die in the size you need!

I will suggest you mount it differently. A piece of 1/4" aluminum long enough to set an old iron on comes to mind. This will allow you to warm it up without spending a lot od cash.

Bolt the Aluminum to a strong bench and have at it.

By the way current value, in my neck of the woods, about $50.00.

PS:
Are those snow shoes hanging on the wall in the first picture?? Holy Cow!

Mark Daiute
05-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Heavy metal! thanks for the quick reply. The lubrisizer is not mounted for use, just so I could take photos of it.

How old is the 45? my 450's are in a cold basement and I heat them with a couple of little electric heaters blowing on them for a few minutes and that's worked fine. Will the 45 behave any different?

Yeah, those are a few of my snowshoes in the wall. I like winter and I like the 18th century.

Thanks,

Marrk

Parts out there or is the 45 just to old?

HeavyMetal
05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Mark:

I'm not going to try and date that 45 other than to tell you it was replaced by the 450 and then 4500. So it's like a second generation Lube sizer.

I have a number 1 Lyman sizer, which is even older, for some specific boolits I size and lube.

If the unit is complete use it. The 45's do have a small "cult" following but parts for it, with the exception of the dies and top punch's, it will be a make it yourself deal.

The heating system your using on the 450 should work just as well for the 45. Be aware the weak link on this unit is the pivot point on the base of the machine where the linkage connects.

This is very thin metal and I have had two come my way with this part busted through the top from heavy handed use. A replacement is easy to make as this is a standard screw thread, 1/4-20 if I remember right, So I got a half inch piece of round stock threaded one end screwed in it the base marked where I needed the slot and then fired up the dremel tool and made it work.

Other than this people break the handles off and thats about it! The rest of the unit should last forever although you may find the "ram' inside needs freshing up.

I believe current 450 stuff works for that as well.

Check the Lyman web site for compatability of parts.

Mark Daiute
05-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I mounted the 45 with some sheetrock screws, put the heater on it and tried it out. Works like a champ.

I picked it up at one of my favorite gunshops from the pile of old reloading stuff in the backroom. I told the guys there that I'd take it home, try it out, and if it worked I'd give them the 5 bucks they want for it. Guess I owe them 5 bucks!

My dad had a 450 in the basement in the 50's when I was a boy so this 45 must be at least that old...

jcwit
05-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Some of the parts were still available last summer. The screw and piston with "O" rings that fits the 450 also fits the 45. I tried to look this up on their site but it doesn't seem to be very user friendly when it comes to replacement parts. Anyway it used to be available as a upgrade kit.

Hope this helps

atr
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I bought my model 45 back in the early 60's.....and Im still using it and it still works great.

mold maker
05-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I started out with the IDEAL sizer, that as I remember (dangerous) was exactly the same, but painted black. It's now in the Lyman museum, and they replaced it with a new 450 to me.
As long as you don't abuse it, it will do everything a new one does. I'll give you your money back if you don't like it. (fat chance)
Ya done good.

1hole
05-02-2009, 09:57 PM
If I remember correctly, the 450 sizers replaced the 45 in 1968.

Mark Daiute
05-03-2009, 12:34 AM
This is great, thanks for the replays. I love it when a bargain works well. I've already sized and lubed nearly a hundred rounds with it. I like the waxy old lube that was in it as well and the top punch works nicely with the .309 and .312 bullets cast from from my Lee molds.

shotman
05-03-2009, 01:05 AM
The lube pessure handle {if you dont have} was a long arm that gets in the way. handle off a water valve/bib works good . I just sold an older one, was the 535 that mold maker was talking about. The dies are somewhat of a pain to change. They didnt use the O ring, and fit TIGHT. Thats why the paint is burnt around the area. You will need to drive them in and out so use a soft hammer as not to burr your die.

atr
05-03-2009, 10:29 AM
the die can be removed more easily if you spray WD40 from the top and bottom,,,,,WD40 cuts the heavy lubricant and you can almost remove the die by pushing it out with your fingers.

the body is cast iron and it WILL crack if the lubricant is so cold that it doesnt flow through the die when you ratchet down (generate pressure) on the lube. SO....try to use lubricant which flows in cold weather OR keep the lubricant warm

Brother_Love
05-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I purchased one on this site a few weeks ago. I called Lyman and they provided the new o-ring piston and extra o-rings for a few bucks. I also boiled the old lube out, stripped the paint and repainted it. Looks good as new. I should not have any trouble with lube being too hard, my set-up is in the house and I have one of those plug-in pipe warmers that does great.

Malcolm

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/lyuman45.jpg

Pressman
05-03-2009, 08:58 PM
The 45 dates from 1947. The stamped cap indicates a late issue. Most were cast.
Ken

giddyupgo55
05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
This answers a few questions for me. This is the same style lube sizer I was given and I was going to ask the same question.

jimkim
05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
I purchased one on this site a few weeks ago. I called Lyman and they provided the new o-ring piston and extra o-rings for a few bucks. I also boiled the old lube out, stripped the paint and repainted it. Looks good as new. I should not have any trouble with lube being too hard, my set-up is in the house and I have one of those plug-in pipe warmers that does great.

Malcolm

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/lyuman45.jpg

Now that's purty raht thar...I don't care whacha say....that's purty raht thar. Good job. Now I want one.:mrgreen:

TAWILDCATT
05-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I went to a yard sale last yr and got a45 and a truline new in boxes,gave $10 for both I already had a 45 I bought many yrs ago and 4 trulines. so now 2 and 5.
I dont think the 45 was before WW2,maybe it was new model in 1945.:coffee:

Brother_Love
06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I just got around to using the Lyman 45 pictured earlier in this thread. It works like a champ. No issues with lube flowing freely in these 97 degree MS days. I have a RCBS sizer too but I believe this old Lyman is now my favorite.
Malcolm

Hipshot
06-18-2009, 08:03 PM
A shielded small wattage bulb pointed (closely) at the sizer works great as a cheap loob heater !

Hip

Archer
09-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I've got one just like it. I've had it for a few years, but never
used it, because it has 38 special dies in it, but now I have a 38
special.
Now for a dumb question, How do you put the lube in it?
I've never worked with one of these before. I took the top off,
and, I have the rachet handle with it, so I screwed it all the way up,
but still did not see a way to put the lube in. I didn't want to break
something, so I didn't pull on it to see if it comes out, or what.
I also got a Tru Line Jr. press with it, and it works fine.

Adk Mike
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I was up in Maine this past August and bought one just like it at the Kittery Trading Post. I keep it along with my 450 I thought it was a nice find and couldn't pass it up. Mike

Dale53
09-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Archer;
You just flip the pressure wrench over, run the piston all the way up and lift it off. Drop in a tube of lube and ratchet the piston back down to put pressure in the luber.

Dale53

Archer
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Dale53,
Thank you, I kind of thought that is how it worked,
but didn't want to pull on it until I was sure.

TAWILDCATT
10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I am looking at the 1945 book it shows the luber with the handle cross wise.so thats not the 45 and it says No 1.has the wooden handle for the lube and the thumb screw for the uper punch.the 1957 book shows the 45 machine with rachet wrench and thumb screw the 1958 cast bullet book shows bothe the lyman luber and the saeco luber and saeco pot and fisher dipper pot.the next cast book shows lyman owned by the leisure group and the lyman electric pot.also the 450 luber.I cant date this as no indication in book.but I beleive the pot was made by saeco.all luber are based on the lyman except star which seem based on meepos.

skeet1
10-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I started with a 45 about 35 years ago and I wish I still had it. A very reliable sizer. Mine still had the old style piston in it with the brass ring that leaked but I would just take the leaked lube and feed it back into the sizer. I wish I would have got one of the new pistons for it but at the time I didn't know they would fit.

Skeet1

Green Frog
10-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I've got one of the black #1 Ideal Lubrisizers with a nickel plated lube reservoir. It is complete with the special clamp but is missing the wrench. I don't suppose anyone has one of those cute little 1/4" square wrenches with the pretty wooden handle for sale or trade, do you??

Froggie

Dew
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
If you can use the "newer" style sizers in the old 45 sizer is there any advantage over a 450?

StarMetal
10-09-2009, 01:02 PM
If you can use the "newer" style sizers in the old 45 sizer is there any advantage over a 450?

The 450 changed to a threaded nut to hold the sizing die in. This done two things, it centers the die better and also seals it better from leaking. On the 45 there is a thumb screw to capture the die and in reality it does push the die over some in the bore cause it has to have some clearance to get the die in and out. Then tend to leak lube some too. The 450 updated the piston too with O rings, so it works better also. The handle on the 450 is steel and prone as much to breaking like the 45's cast iron one.

I converted my 45 to take the threaded nut for the sizer die and upgraded to the 450 O ring piston.

Joe