PDA

View Full Version : You can lead a horse to water…

Typecaster
05-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm feelin' down. A friend for over 30 years had been making noises about getting some guns again after having his apartment burgled. He's been watching shoot-'em-dead cable TV, and was certain a .220 Swift was the answer to a maiden's prayer.

I stopped by his house a few weeks ago, dropped off a mini cartridge collection and samples of all the different calibers I have dies and load (and cast) for. I explained the benefits of handloading (at the minimum). And what do I hear from him today?

He bought a Remington XXX in 204 Ruger. Hunh? Man, I hope he was able to get factory loads for it. Or maybe his retirement package was REALLY, REALLY, good.

Richard

runfiverun
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
good for him now when the mice are running through the fields he is all set,if he has ammo.

EOD3
05-01-2009, 11:15 PM
It's not quite what you'd call a silver lining but, Midway is having repetitive sales on .20 bullets. What he's planning to do for brass ???

Slow Elk 45/70
05-02-2009, 01:50 AM
To bad he did not listen to a little common sense :confused:, this is not the time to be going away from the calibers that are commonly used, with a lot more chances to find components . He may have just purchased himself an "Edsel". Oh well maybe he likes a "challenge". [smilie=1:

1Shirt
05-02-2009, 08:50 AM
A rifle for self defense in an apartment? Seems to lack a bit of common sense to me! I would have recommended a 20gage side by side with as short a legal bbl as possible. Looking down the bbl of a shotgun is sort of like seeing your life pass in front of you. Don't ask how I know!
1Shirt!:coffee:

stubshaft
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
A rifle for self defense in an apartment? Seems to lack a bit of common sense to me! I would have recommended a 20gage side by side with as short a legal bbl as possible. Looking down the bbl of a shotgun is sort of like seeing your life pass in front of you. Don't ask how I know!

I agree 110%. My SD gun is a short barrel 870 12ga. with #6 birdshot (won't overpenetrate). I think that too much TV jaded his decision over which weapon to get.

jdgabbard
05-02-2009, 03:52 PM

+1 1 have a Mossberg 500 w/ Butler Creek Metal Side folder at the Apartment. A 590 at the House down south. And a Over Under at the Cabin. Of course I've got the hand cannons laying around here and there too. But just pumping the action on a pump gun is enough to get any robber's attention. Not to mention cause them to soil their drawers...[smilie=1:

Trey45
05-02-2009, 04:34 PM
870 Remington 12 gauge, with an 18" police barrel with rifle sights next to the bed. The garage gun is a Stoeger Outback O/U 12 gauge. Truck gun is a Stoeger 20 gauge coachgun.
See a pattern here? (Pun intended)

JohnH
05-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm feelin' down. A friend for over 30 years had been making noises about getting some guns again after having his apartment burgled. He's been watching shoot-'em-dead cable TV, and was certain a .220 Swift was the answer to a maiden's prayer.

I stopped by his house a few weeks ago, dropped off a mini cartridge collection and samples of all the different calibers I have dies and load (and cast) for. I explained the benefits of handloading (at the minimum). And what do I hear from him today?

He bought a Remington XXX in 204 Ruger. Hunh? Man, I hope he was able to get factory loads for it. Or maybe his retirement package was REALLY, REALLY, good.

Richard

Guy's, read this agains, where does it say the man was buying the rifle for self defense?

Trey45
05-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Guy's, read this agains, where does it say the man was buying the rifle for self defense?

Maybe we're reading something into it that isn't there, but it does seem implied. Perhaps he meant when his aprtment was burgled they stole all his guns and he wants to replace them finally. Now you have me wondering :)

mpmarty
05-02-2009, 09:39 PM
My minimum HD firearm has to hold at a dozen rounds and be at least 10mm or better. My bedside weapons are my Marlin 1895 with Ranch Dog 350gr loads and a Witness 10mm with fifteen rounds of 200 gr jhps. I don't live in an apartment and if I want to shoot through a wall to turn cover into concealment I have that option too. Shotguns are for the birds.

Heavy lead
05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Maybe we're reading something into it that isn't there, but it does seem implied. Perhaps he meant when his aprtment was burgled they stole all his guns and he wants to replace them finally. Now you have me wondering :)

I reread the thread, seems like an unintentional hijack.
I had a .204, no offense to anyone, pretty good little cartridge, but what's the purpose, give me a .223 (I have a few) or a 22-250 (currently two). I love the old 222, but since my last one's barrel burned out (I know a lot of rounds) I'm done with the hard to find and more expensive brass. Same with the Swift, in it's day a dandy, and if I had a good one I would not get rid of it, but I'm not into the hard to get brass anymore.
I'll save that for the bigger stuff, two of my favorite rounds .338 RUM (100 rounds of brass should last me the rest of my life) and the Rigby (50 rounds of brass will have to last the rest of my life as I could by a new gun for what 50 rounds cost).

Typecaster
05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
My bad. I didn't recognize the implication.

His goal wasn't self-defense; purely sport. His apartment was burgled about 20 years ago and he's been gunless ever since...but he does shoot with friends who are willing to lend.

And, yes, he's a glutton for punishment. This is a guy who restored Ford Falcons.

Richard

Firebird
05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I wish I had a Ford Falcon. You do know that the front cross member from a Fairline GT 390 will bolt into the 65-67's; and that lets you bolt in a 427 :mrgreen:. A Ford Falcon with a 427 in it doesn't sound too bad at all. Probably need a full roll cage just to keep the car from ripping itself apart. [smilie=1:

DLCTEX
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I owned a couple Falcons and a Mercury Comet. I'd rather have a real car. Had a Falcon pickup for a service truck when we were in the tractor business. The rear axle would wrap when in sand and break the tail housing on the tranny.

goste
05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
firebird

And just where are you gonna find an FE 427??????????

geargnasher
05-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Talk about a hijack! You guys are cracking me up! Hey Typecaster, hope you can get at least a smile out of all this!

BTW I'm also a glutton for punishment and enjoy doing everything the hard way. Builds character.[smilie=1: Ford Falcons don't build character imho.

I used to build model clipper ships and 1812 frigates from SCRATCH including plans but I certainly wouldn't enjoy hunting for .204 Ruger brass nowdays, either.

Still don't have a life.

Gear

RugerSP101
05-06-2009, 02:31 AM
I agree 110%. My SD gun is a short barrel 870 12ga. with #6 birdshot (won't overpenetrate). I think that too much TV jaded his decision over which weapon to get.
I use 15 pellet 00 buck magnums in Mossy 12 gauges for HD. Maximum penetration...thats the ticket :D

Idaho Sharpshooter
05-06-2009, 02:39 AM
I know that old quote: You can lead a horse to water, but if you can make him rollover and do the butterfly stroke; you have accomplished something!

Rich
Buff Killer