PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs #333 on eBay - Interesting

Texasflyboy
05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm starting this thread out of embarrassment. I've been watching the #333 two cavity auction on eBay all week trying to decide if I want to bid. But something was nagging me.

Finally I slapped my forehead. Autocast blocks, late design for the ???? autocast machine. There is no sprue plate on these blocks. I can't recall who the mfg of these autocast machines were, but I've only seen one other set of these blocks.

They look new. I would suspect a good machinist could convert these into hand cast blocks, but I am not a good machinist.

Couldn't see the forest for the trees....I stared at those blocks all week and didn't notice until today they didn't have a sprue plate.

stubshaft
05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
They had a "vintage" mold on flea-bay that was clearly a HP mold, that was missing the pin. The seller cast a bullet (to show shape) and left the long "tit" attached. I don't remember all of the particulars of the mold, but remember thinking that some nimrod would purchase it and wonder why the lead leaked out of the bottom.

Cavet Emptor

FISH4BUGS
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm starting this thread out of embarrassment. I've been watching the #333 two cavity auction on eBay all week trying to decide if I want to bid. But something was nagging me.

Finally I slapped my forehead. Autocast blocks, late design for the ???? autocast machine. There is no sprue plate on these blocks. I can't recall who the mfg of these autocast machines were, but I've only seen one other set of these blocks.

They look new. I would suspect a good machinist could convert these into hand cast blocks, but I am not a good machinist.

Couldn't see the forest for the trees....I stared at those blocks all week and didn't notice until today they didn't have a sprue plate.

I actually bought a mould WITHOUT a sprue plate. It was not in the photo, but I never noticed. The seller said he would take it back but I kept it because I found out I could actually get one from BallistiCast.
That was about 5 years ago and of course, I still don't have the sprue plate. It was a light H&G 38 bullet mould.
If anyone has a spare H&G 2 cavity sprue plate I would be glad to talk about it.