PDA

View Full Version : 500 s&w

Frank
05-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Anyone shoot this cartridge? What kind of accuracy do you get? C'mon, don't hold back. :)

stubshaft
05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
1 1/2"@50yds - Encore 15" pistol barrel - 32.5 Lil Gun - 400gr PB hardcast bullet - 1850fps. Tore the forend off of the gun after 48 shots.

Frank
05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about a BFR in that caliber. What kind of twist are you running in your Encore? Does it need that lower load to get accuracy?

69daytona
05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I get 1" at 50 yards with RangerRicks 400gr spire point at1705fps out of my 10 1/2"S&W hunter off a sandbag, 37gr of lilgun. use your judgement and work up slow.
I get a 2 1/2" group with my 4" 500 using a 370gr swc at 870fps with 10gr unique, feels like a 22 in these X frames.

krit29-2
05-02-2009, 04:07 PM
375 hard cast Lyman swc, 10 grains of unique......a powder puff load..
accuracy at fifty yards off rest..... not too bad....
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/HPIM0731.jpg

shotman
05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
If you are going to get something that big go with the 460 . Hot 45 colts are nice to plink with and brass is alot cheaper

Jbar4Ranch
05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Sub 2" groups at 50 yards with my 4" X Frame, 2x Leupold, 460 grain cast WFN bullet, and HS6. Sub 4" groups at 100 yards with the 8 3/8"er, 4x Leupold, 350 grain cast GC WFN and Unique. I killed an elk two years ago with the latter.

TDC
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm in the process of working up loads for a 6 1/2" 500 I purchased 3 1/2 months ago. I'm primarily interested in this pistol as a hunting gun. I've used .41 and .44 mags for many years with success and I'm aware of their limitations on elk sized animals.

I'm currently using a variety of powders including Unique, Trail Boss and WW231 with a Lee 440gr to find a nice plinking, shooting round until a custom mould I'm hoping to buy becomes available..

Two things surprised me when I first shot my 500. One... it is such a sweet shooting and controllable gun with light handloads in the 800 to 950 fps range. Two ... how accurate this caliber is with just about every load combination I've tried in the light to moderate velocity range!

When I read some of the "horror" stories about this pistol and caliber I have to feel very skeptical about the intent and bias of the writer. Some comments I've read actually seem to indicate the writer hasn't owned, let alone shot, one of these guns.

Admittedly, I haven't shot this pistol as yet approaching maximum pressures. I will when I begin to load for next years hunting season. I expect to be very pleased with my choice of this caliber. I have IMR4227, H110, WW296 and 2400 (old and new) ready for testing. I hope to have a 370gr HP for hunting....

My "go to guy" for 500 info on this board has been 69Daytona. He has been exploring all practical user/shooter aspects of handloading/casting for the 50 S&W. I've found his opinions worthy of serious attention....

I love my .41s and .44s, but I'm afraid they'll see very little carry time during the hunting season this year.

Frank
05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
how accurate this caliber is with just about every load combination I've tried in the light to moderate velocity range!

OK, so how accurate is it? At every load from light to moderate? Let's see your targets. That sounds great. krit29-2 played the game. I didn't comment because he's shooting light loads that I'm not interested in. But I respect what he's doing and can see what light loads do at 50 yards. Just want to see what the gun does. Most powerful handgun in the world and the only target we get is 10 grains of Unique. Not exactly a commercial for S&W. No offense to those who are shooting groups with this cartridge. Would it possible to just see a few more pics? Preferabley heavy loads that make the 500 S&W shine. I'd like to see what the most powerful handgun cartridge in the world does in it's prime. Or maybe it's doesn't group at the top end. Help me out.

TDC
05-05-2009, 01:24 AM
"I don't have to show you no stinking targets," :-D

Bur seriously, I don't take pictures of my targets and I don't intend to start. I do keep the targets with data for my own reference. Had I known this was some kind of game, as you state, I wouldn't have bothered to post at all. Based on how you stated your reply, I'd be inclined to think -- troll...

krit29-2
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Well... the pic i posted is from light loads,,and pretty much the same size groups that i get with Hornady 350 xtp loads ,(factory lists them at the muzzle at 1900 fps, 50 yards at 1650 fps ) just a different point of impact.

another thing is cost.......$2.50 a shot with the factory stuff... and about .35 cents a shot for the reloads ( hey i'm cheap :roll:)

the .500 can be accurate enough to be scarry...but the cost of feeding these beasts will quickly outrun the cost of the gun it's self if your only shooting factory ammo......thats why the light loads.. and you don't get the pounding from full power loads which equals more shooting time.

the point is... it's not a target gun,, more of a specialty gun that happens to be rather accurate.... both with full power loads and light "plinking loads"

Frank
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
TDC said
"I don't have to show you no stinking targets,"

Bur seriously, I don't take pictures of my targets and I don't intend to start. I do keep the targets with data for my own reference.

Sorry I offended you. When I ask for targets, I'm trying to be constructive. It's not any kind of competition. I just really do like to see targets and what people are doing. If something works, I'll post the target, the load, etc. If something performs lousy, I'll do the same. I'm just used to doing it a certain way. One benefit of having people post targets, and I'm sure this isn't in your case, is it makes the result more believable. What if 20 or 30 people replied and gave dozens of loads that they say shoots an inch or better at 50. Would you go out and try dozens of different bullets and powder? But if the pics are shown, then the "make believe" error goes away and those who take the time to read these boards will walk away with something useful. Pics: It's a tool for us that leads to improvement and success in our sport.

So it's 2" moa out of the S&W at best. BFR remains unknown at this time.

ole 5 hole group
05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, I normally don't take pictures of my groups as they aren't worth photographing but I did take this one to show a couple of guys what was happening with the N120 powder. This group was shot off hand with factory open sights at 50 yards with the 4" model - the load was a 440 grain hardcast with 90% meplat behind 34 grains of N120 and a CCI BR2 primer. I haven't chronographed that load yet but it should be in the neighborhood of 1,500fps - not a full house load but it's respectable. I would think it should come in at 3" or there abouts off a rest at 25 yards.

The BFR500 is a horse and a half. Because of its long cylinder you should be able to shoot heavy short shanked bullets at just under the speed of light. It really don't care for its weight, so I went with the BFR 500JRH and that gun and cartridge will shoot. I have no pictures but 3" to 5” groups at 25 yards off hard with open sights is the norm with full house loads. I could match the 500S&W up to 465 grains relative to velocity but the recoil is a little harsh compared to the S&W. The S&W leaves everything in its dust at 500 grains and up. I would imagine the BFR would be a lot easier to shoot, as it weighs 72 frickin ounces and you’ll be able to ring out a little more velocity with short shanks due to that 45/70 cylinder on that puppy. Good luck on your hand cannon quest.

44man
05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
"I don't have to show you no stinking targets," :-D

Bur seriously, I don't take pictures of my targets and I don't intend to start. I do keep the targets with data for my own reference. Had I known this was some kind of game, as you state, I wouldn't have bothered to post at all. Based on how you stated your reply, I'd be inclined to think -- troll...
No it is not a game, it is above and beyond keyboard groups to access whether the .500 is worth buying. We should all be truthful with opinions and show what the gun can do. It is no reflection on any person in any way.
Some like Ole 5 hole are showing nice off hand groups and there is no dust on his butt but what Frank want's to know is just how accurate the caliber itself is. The question asks about how tight the caliber can shoot and how easy it is to get good groups. It is NOTHING personal.
As I understand, Frank is more interested in top end hunting groups with heavy boolits. And mostly from the BFR's. I too, show interest.
We are here to help each other, not brag.
I know that more then anyone here because as soon as I post targets 99% of threads will end right there. I am trying to help but it turns keyboard shooters off. I appreciate Ole 5 holes picture, he is doing just fine and we need more like him to actually show what is asked.
None of you know about the amount of PM's and E mails I get after I post, asking for help. Why must nice people hide from some of the rude comments and misleading info?
I can tell you all with a lot of truth, the friends I have gained are shooting groups as good as I post. The reason is that I have put in the work to find how to make a revolver shoot from 50 yards to 500 meters. All of my friends that come to shoot are doing the same, many live close that I met on the sites. Bioman only lives 2 minutes away and he is shooting 50 yd groups with his SBH Hunter of 1/2". He takes my revolvers and shoots one pop can after the other at 100 from a rest. 1" groups at 100 are common.
Whitworth is shooting pop cans off hand from 86 to 100 yards off hand with a .475, full house loads.
It bothers me that as soon as I answer someone, there will be 1000 posts refuting me yet not a single group or picture is ever shown. When I finally post a picture, the thread is dead.
More then anyone, I understand what Frank wants to know, why is there so much evasion? If anyone is shooting better groups then I get, why not share as I do? Show all of us! I have no secrets to hide. I tell all and then it is up to you to test.
Don't run Frank down when he wants to know everything about the caliber. He never asked how good any of you shoot.

dubber123
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't think in this case it's "evasion". There is a way to talk to people that gets respect and answers, and a way to talk to them that gets them P.O'd, and garners the person asking the question no respect. "Most powerful handgun in the world and the only target we get is 10 grains of Unique. Not exactly a commercial for S&W" I think that quote says it all.

Ask nicely, get answered nicely. Simple.

Frank
05-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Dubber123 now writes:
"Most powerful handgun in the world and the only target we get is 10 grains of Unique. Not exactly a commercial for S&W" I think that quote says it all.

:grin:

dk17hmr
05-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Preferabley heavy loads that make the 500 S&W shine. I'd like to see what the most powerful handgun cartridge in the world does in it's prime.

It is in its prime when fired from a rifle.

700gr Cast bullet at just under 1500fps
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/500SW2.jpg

450gr Cast bullet at about 1800fps
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/500SW.jpg

44man
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Those are just super groups and my opinion is that it is a great caliber.

I am sorry if I sounded a little huffy before. I just don't like anyone to take things personal. I run into a few guys that battle back and forth and just ruin threads on some other sites. It actually gets down to name calling. It always starts over some tiny thing that means nothing.
I can't write for beans and have a problem explaining or expressing some stuff as do many of us here. It is better to laugh or at least grin over what some write and never read into it what is not there.
Don't ever feel singled out.
I have put myself in bad positions and had to say I am sorry too many times, I am just as much to blame so I will say I am sorry again.
Anyway, let us continue to see more of what the .500 is doing. :drinks:

Frank
05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Ole 5 hole group says
I would imagine the BFR would be a lot easier to shoot, as it weighs 72 frickin ounces and you’ll be able to ring out a little more velocity with short shanks due to that 45/70 cylinder on that puppy.

Nice shooting. Ole 5-hole plays well. On weights I see 64 oz for a 7.5" BFR vs 60.7 oz for a 6.5" S&W, so is the BFR really that heavy? Is the BFR 500JRH a custom gun? I don't see that caliber offered on Magnum's website.

Frank
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
dk17hmr replies
Originally Posted by Frank
Preferabley heavy loads that make the 500 S&W shine. I'd like to see what the most powerful handgun cartridge in the world does in it's prime.

It is in its prime when fired from a rifle.

700gr Cast bullet at just under 1500fps

450gr Cast bullet at about 1800fps

Nice shooting! What kind of rifle is that?

dk17hmr
05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
H&R/NEF Handi rifle with a Williams Peap sight. Would make a great combo for hogs if I ever get the chance to hunt them. I have shot a few 500 S&W handguns and my rifle, I have to say I like the round out of a rifle better.

ole 5 hole group
05-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Ole 5 hole group says Nice shooting. Ole 5-hole plays well. On weights I see 64 oz for a 7.5" BFR vs 60.7 oz for a 6.5" S&W, so is the BFR really that heavy? Is the BFR 500JRH a custom gun? I don't see that caliber offered on Magnum's website.

I think the 7.5" BFR comes in at 4.5 pounds and that should be 72 ounces. The 500JRH is listed in their Precision Center guns - a little more expensive but you get the smaller cylinder and a few other goodies. I went with the 6" barrel and in hindsight, I should have went with a 5.5" barrel. I purchased 200 cases from Jack Huntington, as he's the only vendor of the cases. You can trim 500 S&W cases down to size but Jack's prices are reasonable, so I went that route. Jack recommends using CCI 350 primers for the 500JRH but I just deepened the primer pockets a hair and went with the rifle primer. Here's a picture of my 500JRH with Micarta grips - I don't recommend these grips for a 500JRH, as they sting like hell with full house loads and you can break them if you bear down real hard to limit the twisting action. If you don't bear down with those grips using full house plus loads and allow that puppy to roll up - they will bite your finger and sting at the same time and you pay extra bucks for that "feeling". I now have the factory rubber grips and they are just fine. On the BFR 500S&W I don't think you would get the "sting" or the violent twist with heavy loads due the additional weight, so the Micarta grips would probably be AOK - they add a little to the "look" of a single action IMO.

C A Plater
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I've got a 20" OTT Encore barrel in .500 S&W that shoots very well for me. My current favorite load is 40.0 grains of WC680 (AA1680 surplus) pushing a 440 grain WFN cast at 1650 fps.
[http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/500-S&W-encore.jpg

ole 5 hole group
05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Frank - have you looked at the JR500? It's a little more expensive but probably worth the extra money considering the muzzle blast is greatly reduced. (Of course the BFR doesn't have the compensator, so you wouldn't have the muzzle blast either) I've only shot 20 rounds through mine so far, as I just received it, but I already know it will help me survive day long shooting sessions with heavy loads. The 4" compensated model made me feel punch drunk late in the day, which I didn't appreciate. Here's a picture of the 3 amigos. I put fiber front sights on the S&W 4" and the BFR 500JRH (green). I can see them a little better - didn't improve my shooting at all but I can get on target a tad faster.

Frank
05-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I really enjoy all the pics. I like everybody's gun. I went ahead and ordered a BFR in 45/70. I did that because I have all the dies, brass, etc and I think it will be really accurate also. But I like the .500 and still like to see what everybody is doing and all the pics. The 500 JRH sounds good too.

Dk17hmr's H & R Handi rifle and the 20" Encore look good too. I didn't know about those combinations, but they probably all shoot bugholes nice at 50 yrds or more with the 500 S &W. Great caliber choice. :drinks:

BIGGUNGOBOOM
05-08-2009, 04:38 AM
I have a BFR chambered in 500 S&W, I was getting mixed accuracy with Sierra bullets, switched up to Speer and the groups got to about 1-1/2 at 50 yds, ran some ranger ricks for a hunting load and brought that into 1' at 50 yds. now that I am casting my own I am seeing about the same results as the ranger ricks. I did drop a nice pig with the ranger rick bullet at 85 yds, one shot threw the shoulder and dropped him in spot. big pig, round 380 LBS so not to bad. Buddy of mine also has a BFR 500 and dropped his elk last year at 75 yds with one shot. didnt move. He was also using a home brew lead bullet that is getting 1 inch groups at 50 yds.

In point it can be done, takes some time and it will all come together. I personally like the BFR handguns and plan on buying more down the road. they are sure built like a BSH and take a beating.

Good luck with your 45-70 BFR, I know that you will love it, I want to hear what groups you are getting with it cause the 45-70 BFR is on my down the road list

Frank
05-08-2009, 06:57 PM
BIGGUNGOBOOM says
I have a BFR chambered in 500 S&W, I was getting mixed accuracy with Sierra bullets, switched up to Speer and the groups got to about 1-1/2 at 50 yds, ran some ranger ricks for a hunting load and brought that into 1' at 50 yds. now that I am casting my own I am seeing about the same results as the ranger ricks. I did drop a nice pig with the ranger rick bullet at 85 yds, one shot threw the shoulder and dropped him in spot. big pig, round 380 LBS so not to bad. Buddy of mine also has a BFR 500 and dropped his elk last year at 75 yds with one shot. didnt move. He was also using a home brew lead bullet that is getting 1 inch groups at 50 yds.

It sure would be nice to see a pic. :-D

shorty500
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
am new to the site but felt i should throw in my 2cents worth,LOL!
i recieved the 1st .500S&W in our area<northeast MS> in the original 8-3/8 gun. since then i rebarreled one gun to a 5" tube before S&W released the factory 4" and added the snubnosed survival model, a 10-1/2" performance center model and most recently a 7-1/2 BFR has joined the fleet. i did try a H&R/NEF but all of those guns that made it to our area suffered serious QC problems that had bad effects on accuracy. but all S&W revolvers and the BFR seem to shoot great! anyway i was loading the cartridge BEFORE there was data available thanks to NEI molds and STARLINE. lol i hated the RCBS steel sizingdies but they work great
my revolvers< plus 4 others have fired belonging to shooting buddies>shoot great with factory stuff and various cast boolit handloads. one to one and half groups at 50yards are common and my original 8-3/8 S&W does 3"@100yards.
have included my favorite loads that cover mice to moose.

NEI mold #358a .500-325-bb(truncated cone meant for .50Action Express)
340g cast from w/w sized@.500 seated to crimp groove over 11g of Trailboss
is good for 850fps & 545ft/lp m.e., TKO value of 20.6,super accurate&pleasant

LEEmold #.500-440RFN-GC -460g cast from w/w &waterdropped,.500size dia.
with Hornady gas check, seated @2.0 COAL over 32g of H4227 it leaves my
10-1/2"S&W PC at 1300fps for 1726 ft/lps m.e. and TKO value of 42.7,
this is my favorite hunting gun/load combo

NEI mold#359B .500-565-RFN -545g cast of w/w & waterdropped
seated to 2.300"COAL and use two powders for lite & HEAVY!
use 12g of TrailBoss for 700fps, 600ft/lps of m.e. & TKO value of 27.5 from the snubnose ES model S&W

same mold and COAL using 30g of Hodgdon Lil'Gun delivers 1410fps in the nominal
8" revolvers for a whooping 2406 ft/lps of m.e. and a TKO value of 54.8!!
this one can hurt you in my BFR that wears the Hogue micarta's or the short S&W's even with grips that fit my hands.

hope all of my rambling info is of some use