PDA

View Full Version : confused!!!!!!

mainiac
04-10-2005, 08:12 PM
ive been shooting cast bullets for a few years now, and shoot mostly ruger blackhawks. I try to match my throats and bore size to my load etc,etc, i have some pretty accurate loads for them,but i recently (finally) bought a single-six in .32 mag. Upon measuring this thing it became apparent that the throat-bore size was way out of whack.Throats are .309 and bore is .3137, i never figured this thing wouls shoot...........upon trying it, the 85 gr. federal factory loads shot inside 2 inches ( scrubbed the copper out and will never shoot any again!) loaded up the empties with 4 grs. unique and half was a 94 gr. lee round nose and the other half was a lyman 311316gc, sized them 311 and you cant amagine how this thing shoots! using these guessed at loads,it shoots an easy 1 inch group (25 yards) and cant wait to fine tune it! Why i am confused is because this thing shouldnt shoot this well,, how can it?? it didnt seem to lead hardly at all, which i was sure it would because of the big bore size. the 4gr.-unique with 311316 (117grains) does seem pretty hot and probaly will tone this down next time!!! This thing is easily the most accurate hand gun i own! have heard that all these .32 rugers shoot well. Do they all seem to have the small throats? thanks,mark

Buckshot
04-10-2005, 09:49 PM
...........Don't have a Ruger or anything in 32 H&R so I don't know about them or their habits. The only thing I can figure for the way your pistol shoots with those odd measurements is just that everything else must be just right. Chamber-barrel alignment, and the forcing cone, etc. Possibly also the load and alloy temper is such that the boolit may be upsetting sufficiently in the forcing cone to take the lands.

The dimensions are defiantly NOT right, but I sure wouldn't consider messing with them until things go sour. You know the old saying, If it isn't broke ..............

............Buckshot

Pb head
04-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I missed a chance to acquire a S&W chambered in 32H&R 8 3/8 bbl a few years ago and been kicking my self ever since. I do have a Contender 10 in bbl that will out shoot all the other Contender bbl I have including a 22 match bbl. Of course the Contenders use a .308 bbl with 1 in 10 twist. I use the Sacco 117 Gr BB and Lyman 130 Gr carbine boolits which are too long for a revolver I would think. Favorite powders are red dot, bullseye, and WC 820f. I hesitate to give the charge because some may be a little hot for revolvers although Rugers are pretty strong.

Pb head

beagle
04-11-2005, 01:58 AM
I have a SS .32 Mag as well. After reading all of the hoopla over .313" sizing and shooting it for a while, I finally attempted to start a .311 down the bore......no go. Then, I attempted to run one though the chambers...no go.

Then I shot some and you're right, they do shoot well at .311" which opens a whole new world of mould designs to the .32 Mag owner.

I've found that the 311008HP, the 32-98-SWC and the 313631 all shoot good in mine.

It's a pleasureable little gun to own and shoot./beagle

Willbird
04-11-2005, 06:52 AM
I checked my ruger single-six-32 and it is .312 as I would expect it to be. Ruger has been making guns for awile with the throats smaller than the bores from what I hear. also I hear they insist it is within tolerance

Bill

9.3X62AL
04-11-2005, 07:24 AM
My former 32 Magnum was a Ruger SSM x 6.5", and I didn't measure its throats per se--but the Hornady XTP's at .312" were a draggy slip fit in all the throats. I sized RCBS 98 grain SWC's and Lyman 100 grain #313492 WC's to .313", and it shot very well.

I had a similar experience with a Ruger BisHawk in 45 Colt--.449"-.450" throats and .452" groove. It shot one boolit VERY well, a Lyman SWCGC (#454490)--but no others. Early indications after reaming the cylinder throats are that things have improved with 200 grain SWC's at least, and did not get worse with the former SWCGC design. This is a different sitch than yours--I wanted the revolver to NOT be a single-bullet bi-otch. It sounds like life is good for your gun as is, and I would be reluctant to change things under those conditions.

Ruger might say things like that are "within specs", but they are on crack as far as I'm concerned.

Willbird
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd say more like meth Al, that way they get more cylinders per shift. machine operators that are askeered and don't know their machines and material always run things on the small side of the tolerance...tool wear and heat in the part will always shrink holes,a good operator runs in the upper 1/4 of the dia tolerance when the part is checked hot and in the machine.

Bill