PDA

View Full Version : primers

l-weinrich
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
I discovered why there are no primers for sale anywhere. I was at my local gun store helping out behind the counter while the regulars were at a gun show and while I was talking with the owner he said a guy came in a couple of months ago and bought 40,000 primers and the guy didn't even have a reloading press! He just bought them in case he might have to take up reloading because of our new administration!

jcwit
04-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Another idiot rides again. Think I'll go buy a horse cause I might switch to being an Amish man and use a horse and buggy.

mooman76
04-29-2009, 09:45 PM
When things calm down and prices start dropping to some what normal competitive prices i hope those guys that bought just to buy loose their A$$.

Deano
04-29-2009, 09:54 PM
In a year or so, once everyone has so many primers stacked in the basement that the slab starts to crack, the price is going to plummet and they won't be able to give them away. $50 sleeves, here we come!:-P

Crash_Corrigan
04-30-2009, 03:13 AM
I have cut way back on shooting due to the lack of primers.

My fervent hope and prayer is that when this panic situation is over those hogs who cleaned off the shelves are stuck with their primers and the market is glutted with millillions of those little suckers and the prices drop to $10 per thousand or less.

The hoarders will be stuck with primers and they will lose their shirts when they try to sell.

In the meantime I am looking into a flintlock rifle to eliminate any chance of having to go through this crap again. I know I can make gunpowder and lead is still available and I would love to nondependent on ammo makers forever.

angus6
04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Another idiot rides again. Think I'll go buy a horse cause I might switch to being an Amish man and use a horse and buggy.

Shoot I was buying 7.62x51 long<1.5yr> before I had started collecting parts for a FAL build , knew it was just a matter of time before I built one , so sounds to me like maybe this guy just has his act together and is a wise man

jcwit
05-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Rats, now I gotta grow a beard, and wear barn door pants with suspenders.
Maybe Spreken the duietch Heck I can't even spell it.

Andrew Quigley
05-01-2009, 10:55 PM
noticed at the range lots of folks are only shooting 22's.

Frank46
05-02-2009, 02:45 AM
I have a funny feeling that when things calm down its going to be business as usual.
Only the prices will be the same. We've all seen the dropping of lead, copper and others on the metals markets. Did the manufacturer's of ammo and reloading components that use these metals reduce their prices?. Not that I have seen. And why should they. Right now they are making more money at this time than any other time in history. Well I do grant that the buying public has been salting away as much ammo, components and stuff like that at an unprecdented rates. And everything gets passed on to you the comsumer.I don't think that in the near forseeable future (my crystal ball is in for its 500 year checkup) that prices are not going to come down to near even with pre-panic levels. Just my two cents worth.
Frank

rhead
05-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Rats, now I gotta grow a beard, and wear barn door pants with suspenders.
Maybe Spreken the duietch Heck I can't even spell it.

If you think you will have trouble with Duietch Keep the horse and become a cowboy. You probably wanted to be one anyway when you were younger.:-D

Boz330
05-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure why you guys think 40,000 primers is a bunch. When I was shooting serious IPSC my supplier gave a break over 25,000 and I usually bought that many since I was shooting 20K to 30K a year anyway. A good number of my friends that didn't shoot that much would piggyback on to get a better price on theirs. It was panic time when my supply dipped below 10K.
Anyone that thinks primers will drop to $10 a thousand is dreaming. IIRC I was paying $8 a thousand back in the mid 80s at the above quantities.

Bob

swheeler
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
I discovered why there are no primers for sale anywhere. I was at my local gun store helping out behind the counter while the regulars were at a gun show and while I was talking with the owner he said a guy came in a couple of months ago and bought 40,000 primers and the guy didn't even have a reloading press! He just bought them in case he might have to take up reloading because of our new administration!

Sounds like a smart guy to me! Bet he was a boy scout.

atr
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I was in Eastern WA last week,,,,went to three gunshops...no primers anywhere !!

interesting news flash on TV here (western WA) last night...the local police force was complaining that they could not get any ammo to practice with...they even tried to buy it from local retailers and still couldn't find any.

m.chalmers
05-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a horse I'll trade for 1,000 Win LP primers :)

TC66
05-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I'll do one better, I have a wife I will trade for 1000 WLP primers.

shooterg
05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Need pics of the horse and wife...

acemedic13
05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
pm sent on the horse

mold maker
05-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Don't need horse to feed, have a wife, I'll keep primers.

nicholst55
05-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I know one thing for sure - once the supply of primers returns to something resembling 'normal,' I will NEVER, EVER run out of primers again. My kids will be wondering what the old man was ever planning to do with all of those primers, as they're settling my estate!

Having lived through TWO primer famines in just the past 16 years, it won't ever effect me again.

blaser.306
05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
I am new to the cast Boolits site and have already aquired alot of usefull info , it is truly unfortunate that the state of reloading componants has reached the state it has . Here in Saskathewan Canada there has not been a small rifle primer even rumoured to be available since last September and the last 20 000 were bought by a u/s hunter that hapened to see them in one of our local shops when he was here hunting game birds . And as for other componants the prices have skyrocketed , in the neiborhood of $50.00 per 1000 for primers when available , $45.00 per lb for bout any powder (again when available) . so to say the very least all us shooters here in Canada are a little envious of the folk that at least stand a chance of buying what they need right off the shelf!

mto7464
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I just sold 3 k for over 200 bucks. hehehe fools and their money. I figure when this all calms down I can get 10 k with that money.

Boz330
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Some might call it paranoid but others might call it prepared. I was also the guy with 10 gallons of kerosine and several tanks of LP when the ice storm hit in January and cut off power to all the local gas stations. I had light and heat while everybody else was trying to find a Motel or relative that had power. Hard to do BTW.
I didn't stock up to try and gouge my fellow shooters, but I buy in bulk to get good prices and limit the hazmat fees. Having been through this once before I saw the hand writing on the wall, so to speak. If some of my shooting buddies get tight they are welcome to some of mine at what I paid for them.
BTW I was a Boy Scout growing up.

Bob

sundog
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I do not live in town. What some might call hoarding or stock piling is simply my working stock, whether, LP cylinders, diesel and gasoline, camp fuel, beans and rice, or primers. What might seem quite excessive to some is nothing more than a reflection of my chosen life style....

felix
05-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Yep, me too, Corky. I've gone one further in that I have 3 Caddies with 4.9 engines. Just in case I need parts. It's all stupid, really, in that any kind of stock piling should be done, with the amount of natural resources in the world. ... felix

Mtman314
05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I was in Eastern WA last week,,,,went to three gunshops...no primers anywhere !!

interesting news flash on TV here (western WA) last night...the local police force was complaining that they could not get any ammo to practice with...they even tried to buy it from local retailers and still couldn't find any.

Sounds like a police department looking for work. Come rob here we can't shoot ya. Unless we can use your ammo.

Freightman
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
This is a free country! if he has the money more power to him! not his fault I didn't have the money to do the same thing that was mine, I have plenty of primers but still would like to have more. If you remember the wage and consumer price controls of the 70's then you will relise that it is a "BAD" idea period. If it doesn't hurt the next guy leave the market to go where it may they call that captolism, we are fast becomming socilist, you aint going to like the shortages then.
My orthipedic surgen said "if you do not like or medical system now you going to love when it is "FREE"!

Mtman314
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I also have backups for backups I have 2 -100 lb tanks of propane. 2 -20 lb tanks and 1-30lb
I keep at least 20 gallon of kerosene on hand, though prefer a 55 gallon drum and also have the wood stove for back up. I have my smoker and a camping trailer gas stove and my turkey cooker and the regular gas stove along with a wood stove to cook on. I have power and also have electrical generator and also keep at least one barrel of gas on hand. I also have in the mix an idea to setup a 12 volt car alternator to be wind driven so I can charge up batteries for my ham radio/ cb sets. Inverters to use for the frig and freezers for backups also.
I'm looking at keeping a stock of 10,000 primers, right now until my moulds get here I can't cast anything other than round ball. I keep at least 500 caps for the cap and ball and have an assortment of black powder for the flintlocks. I've got an assortment of powders for the jacketed bullets and am starting to purchase powder for boolits. I'm about halfway to my target numbers. Inch by inch it's a cinch, yard by yard it's very hard.

Boz330
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
GEEESH Mtman your making look bad here. On the other hand the climate here is more moderate and I'm not as far out in the sticks as you. Used to be, but civilization keeps encroaching. Getting to old for another move farther out.:roll:

Bob