PDA

View Full Version : PSB filler & plain base or no GC's

matm0702
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi All

Here's a question for the experts. Can I use PSB filler in place of a gascheck or with plain base bullets? Am looking at between 1800-2000 FPS for my velocity. My bullets are ACWW at approx 11 bhn. Bullets will be fired out of a Brit No4 mk1 and
M39 Mosin Nagants with a 35 REM to follow once I get that mold.

Mike

felix
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes you can! Some powders can take compression more than others. In general, smaller granules work best with less compression in terms of burn consistency. ... felix

matm0702
04-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks Felix

I was going to use cream of wheat, But i've heard of issues with it packing hard
in the case and creating pressure issues. I have a good hunting load for the 303
using dacron as a filler but to me it's a pain to work with. I got a 22oz bottle of PSB on its way for trial loads. Would be nice to get away from Gas checks.

Mike

felix
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Mike, continue using Dacron with stick powders. You don't want a chance of the small plastic balls of poly intermixing with the powder. If you want to use stick powders anyway, put a loose toilet paper wad down first fully covering the powder, and then the apply the remainder space with poly using next to zero compression. ... felix

However, when all is said and done, gaschecks will provide the best accuracy on those boolits meant for them. ... felix