PDA

View Full Version : To crimp?? Or not to crimp??

HEAD0001
04-29-2009, 03:25 AM
I am working up a load for my new Miroku Low Wall in 45 Colt. I am trying to decide whether I should crimp the load or not. I load for my 45-70 single shots and do not crimp. I am trying to decide whether I should crimp for the Low Wall 45 Colt?? Or not?? And if I should crimp, then which crimp?? Taper or Roll?? Just looking for suggestions.

The current load I am working on is a 250 grain XTP with 2400 as the powder. Later I will be casting for the rifle. Do you guys use different crimps for different types of bullets in the 45 Colt?? Thanks, Tom.

C A Plater
04-29-2009, 08:38 AM
One function of crimping is to keep the bullet in place while in the cylinder or rifle tube. With the single shot that is not a problem. Sometimes crimping helps with keeping velocities more consistent but not universally so. I would try it with out and see how things went. If I did crimp, it would be a roll but then I have a .45 six guns and a lever action so it would be SOP for me.

Wayne Smith
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Other than a particular rifle's preference the only other reason I know for crimping a single shot was to delay the boolit moving for complete combustion of BP behind the 405 boolit in the 45-70.

Try yours both ways and see what your rifle likes. There is no other reason to crimp in a single shot with smokeless.

longhorn
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, crimping will certainly make transport a loaded cartridges easier.............I'd bet that you'll see measurably better accuracy with a firm crimp and consistent bullet pull-which is as much a function of neck tension (funny term to use with a straight wall pistol cartridge......). I predict you'll need a firm crimp and a tight sizer die.

August
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Do you have any other gunz -- particularly revolvers -- in that caliber??? If so, in the interest of future moments of confusion and mixed up loads, probably best to crimp.