PDA

View Full Version : best price on gas check die

brianintheup
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
It the gas check maker from Patmarlins the best buy on a gas check maker? I am looking for a 30 cal.

Brian

trevj
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
It's almost the only game in town.

Corbin makes one, about $500. Most everyone else that are making them are doing so for personal use, rather than as a commercial venture. Search around here and there is a video posted by one of the guys using an arbor press to process checks with his.

Oh yeah. The Freechex tool, sold on Ebay with a Buy it Now price.

I'd be looking for sources other than soda cans, but that's a personal preference.

I wouldn't bother to swing a hammer that many times to produce a hundred gas checks, myself. Another personal preference thing.

Cheers
Trev

brianintheup
04-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks. I wander what it would cost for me to fabricate one. Has anyone fabricated a gas check maker that could give some input?

Brian

Jim_Fleming
04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey, y'all...

Dave Corbin offers a bullet base guard making kit for a regular 7/8 - 14 Reloading press:

http://www.bulletswage.com/bgk-1.htm

However that being said, I made my own, and it worked just fine.

All I did was take a 7/8-14 SHCS (socket head cap screw) in a lathe, head end outward, drilled a 5/16th's all the way thru, then drilled a 3/8's hole about 1/2 way thru.

Then I used a 1/16th thick cut off wheel mounted in a 'die grinder" then cut about 3/4 thru the bolt.

Then I chucked the 5/16th's back into the tailstock, reversed the bolt lightly chucked it, pushed the drill bit back into the existing hole so that I'd be better able to put in the chuck more accurately. I then indicated the bolt thread to give me .001" TIR (total indicator runout), then bored the hole up to .357 bored carefully to mind the finish inside of my bore.

I made the punch to fit my old Lee Precision Turret Press, (RBCS Standard Shell Holder Sizes!)

Put a tiny 60 degree point on the punch to juust barely pierce the copper strip material, and turned the rest of the punch down to .3565" and voila! it worked great. When I get set back up, I'll have to put a small cone on shoulder of the nose of the punch so as to facilitate a nice tight fit!

I had access to some old copper sheet metal, (actually it was copper roofing material) which I had sheared into 1/2" strips.

I know I'm not all that good at descriptions, sorry about that.

The other thing I must declare is that I personally did NOT make the illustrations, I literally copied them from the Corbin's Website and then pasted them into the attached file. Giving credit where credit is due.

If you look at the Corbin's URL in this message, you'll see where I got the idea so as to make my own.

I have no idea as to how much Corbin charges for his base guard kit for reloading presses, but it's got to be a WHOLE lot cheaper than some of the prices I've seen in this thread.

Jim

Jim_Fleming
04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
sorry!!!! I'm in cast boolits!

however, rather than editing my post, please be advised, that it would be the same priciple to make gas check, except that you'd have to create a small shoulder on the nose of your punch and the inside of your die, so as to help roll the copper over to make the L shape on the sides of your gascheck bullet.

I apologize for getting confused... y'all were talking gas checks and I just didn't make the connection! UGH!

Jim

brianintheup
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
thanks for the input

Brian