PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer and gas checks

Naphtali
04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
For the first time, my shooting partner used his Star sizer in my presence. I had no idea he had one because tools not in use are covered. During the course of our brief conversation -- I was on my way home -- he said that he preferred to use his RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 or Saeco Lubri-Sizer when installing gas checks and strongly preferred his Star for plain base bullet sizing and lubricating.

I didn't query him on what difficulty he avoids by not using his Star with gas checks -- my error. I will appreciate information about this because I am shopping for a sizer and I cast gas checked and plain base bullets.

HeavyMetal
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure what his issue might be. I have used my Star to size checked boolits and never had a problem.

However I will suggest that he may be concerned with checks seating properly if he's nose sizing in his Star. I to was intrigued by the possible issue of them "sliding" off as I sized.

So far it has not been the case although the only boolits I check are the Lee 7.62X39 design that I use in my 30-30 Contender.

I do have several other molds that take checks but have not used them very frequently in the last couple of yrs. I have thought I might consider super glue as a contingincey plan to keep the checks on until firmly crimped in place.

When you get a chance ask your bud why he prefers the rcbs sizer for doing checked boolits, I'm curious.

runfiverun
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
he probably don't like that dent he gets by not having a proper sized punch for his sizer.

bobthenailer
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
i know ive gas checked over 20,000 bullets of various bullet diamenters on my star with o problems ! and accuracy is excellent with all bullets

ktw
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
he probably don't like that dent he gets by not having a proper sized punch for his sizer.

Yeah, that.

I seem to recall Magma only offers two flat base punches for use with all bullet sizes. This works fine with plain based bullets but can lead to issues when seating gas checks.

If he is using a flat base punch that is significantly smaller than bullet size, the base punch is trying to seat the check by pressing on the bottom/middle of the check, rather than the bottom/peripheral edges. As runfiverun notes, this can lead to an incompletely seated check with a dished bullet base.

The solution is to have someone (like lathesmith) make you a flat base punch that more closely matches each bullet size.

-ktw

Jon K
04-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Another issue he may have is...............if the check doesn't fit the shank very well, the RCBS will crush at the bottom of the stroke, pushing the check on firmly. With the Star, if it's cocked off to one side, that's how it will come out.

Jon

runfiverun
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
if he has a larger sized one he can just grind it down to fit i usually just order the largest and longest they have and turn them down on the bench grinder till i get what i want.
the flat push down is nice but the nose of the next one usually makes a little dent.
i think it could actually help accuracy in some cases.
and i doubt it has hurt.

fredj338
04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Another issue he may have is...............if the check doesn't fit the shank very well, the RCBS will crush at the bottom of the stroke, pushing the check on firmly. With the Star, if it's cocked off to one side, that's how it will come out.

Jon
I use my Star for all sizing including GC bullets. It is a bit more trouble as yo uhave to push them on by hand & get them straight then drop them into the sizer. A larger base punch does help.

DanOH
04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
In the LBT catalogue I remember Veral mentioning getting a Star punch that is cupped so that pressure is applied to the outside edges of the bullet/gas check. I think it would be a custom size specific deal though. Wonder how much that might cost...

Marine Sgt 2111
04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I made an adapter years ago when I got my star, with a shoulder on it about 5/8 dia (.625"), threaded 1/2-27 on the outside of the section which fits inside of the ram and drilled and tapped 1/4-28 on the inside of the adapter. Then I use 1/4-28 socket head bolts, somewhere around 2.5" long and using an electric drill braced on a work bench to steady it, I grind the socket off of the bolt head (using a bench grinder).

Using the same set up I try to keep the bolts threaded section steady and grind the Outside Diameter of the bolt head .01" under bullet diameter so the punch won't rub on the inside of the sizing die. This works for everything under .375" dia. For bigger diameters than that, I have some 1/2-27 bolts that I bought years ago which I cut off and grind down to work. I would prefer using a lathe to make punches but you work with what you have.

I nose down size everything and using a punch close to base diameter (within .010") I have seater thousands of gas checks on everything from .22's to .458's...

For what it's worth...

lathesmith
05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
In the LBT catalogue I remember Veral mentioning getting a Star punch that is cupped so that pressure is applied to the outside edges of the bullet/gas check. I think it would be a custom size specific deal though. Wonder how much that might cost...

$13 + shipping...that's one question I can answer, at least....!
lathesmith

rbwillnj
05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I have been able to order any size punch I wanted from Magma.

jayjay1
10-21-2014, 05:23 AM
$13 + shipping...that's one question I can answer, at least....!
lathesmith

So Iīm hijacking this old fred, because my firts GC mold is on its way to me.

Do I have to size the GC bullets bottom first in a star sizer?

VHoward
10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Nose first works for me with gas checked bullets.

jayjay1
10-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you!
:grin:

Gaaaaareat!

jayjay1
10-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Hello again!

Just got my mold with the mail today and went to work immediately.
:-)

The mold drops at .310", Iīve slugged my 5-groove barrel with .309" what may mean he is .310" or .311" (canīt measure that 5-groove thingy correctly).

The problem:
I think I canīt set gas checks with this bullets, because there would be no resistance in the star sizer, when the die and the bullet have the same dia.

Is anyone having an idea?

VHoward
10-22-2014, 08:24 PM
What mold? What alloy are you using? Can you fit the gas checks onto the gas check shank easily? You can try seating one gas check and see if it stays on. Otherwise, you need to get a mold that drops them bigger or try super gluing the gas checks on.

chloe123
10-23-2014, 12:30 AM
I feel like were supposed to sift through the important facts here.

if it was a gas check mold, it was not a Magma
Magma molds are oversized for their caliber
Magma has maybe a dozen gas check molds, none in inventory currently, and no 30 Cal offering

Im going to assume JayJ did not pay for a Magma conversion (from a Lyman,RCBS, Saeco, etc)

Jay bought a custom mold for his caliber.

Sure, If there were no resistance from the die, the boolit would fall. Making it challenging to place a check on the boolit behind it. But, the only way this would occur is if the diameter of the die is greater than the diameter of the unsized boolit--which is odd, right? I can seat 452 designed gas checks on a pre-sized 452 diameter boolit.

I'm presuming that the shank that was cut is correct for the caliber.

It would be odd that he bought a die that was larger than casting he ordered but Jay said it dropped at .310

howabout it: what's your star die size?

jayjay1
10-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Correct, it is not a Magma mold.
Itīs the LEE C309-180R, my first try in the world of rifle bullets.

I just have casted those boolits the first time and am now in front of the decision, which dia the sizing die for my star should have.

Recognizing, that the mold obviously drops to small for my loved M17, I have yet ordered another one, the LEE C312-185 (for under 35 Dollars).
(No problem, the 309 boolits will learn to fly in my IG11 which slugged with .308")

Gas Check can be set easily, mold as written above, alloy is 3 parts range scrap - 1 part lino (comes out roundabout 15BHN).

Now Iīm standing in front of the problem to determine the sizing dia for a 5-groove barrel.
With my caliper Iīm measuring .309" - what will then be the real dia of this 5-groove barrel, .310" / .311"?

VHoward
10-23-2014, 10:40 AM
I would say a sizing die with a diameter of .312 would be what I got. And hope that the lee mold will drop big enough bullets.

VHoward
10-23-2014, 10:47 AM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=382
This mold is a little more expensive, but I have had good experiences with NOE molds and the company is great to deal with.

My experience with Lee molds is OK. They tend to drop right at size or slightly smaller for me while the NOE molds drop .001 to .002 larger than what the mold says.

jayjay1
10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi Howard,
thank you for the dia suggestion.

Thatīs a good looking bullet there.
I have just bought those LEE molds, because they are in stock over here and cheap to have for playing around a little bit (first cast rifle bullets).

But when Iīm on the right track, I definetely will buy me some other molds too.

In which rifle do you use this bullet?

VHoward
10-23-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't actually have this mold. But you can't go wrong with a NOE mold. I have one for 357 mag and 45acp.