PDA

View Full Version : Isotope Lead

sqlbullet
04-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Can't get the images to work on this site, so I will link you to mine.

Isotope Lead (http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html)

SciFiJim
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Great website. A nice introduction to iso-lead. I haven't seen any of this yet, but now I know what to look and ask for.

Trey45
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Where and how does one go about acquiring these iso lead apparatus?

sheepdog
04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I asked my local hospital for some and nearly got homeland security on me. They seem to think these things can me used as dirty bombs <sigh>. You'd think that someone with eight years plus at a blueblood school would have more sense. The average cellphone gives off more radiation then these things after 60 days.

sqlbullet
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I have a friend who is a nuclear pharmacist.

However, most of these places just sell to recyclers as best I can tell. I offer the going rate, plus I haul it for them. They are very happy to see it gone with little/no effort on their part.

I, or course, am very happy to see it in my garage as well.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I often used the ones that weighed 38+ pounds and resembled a HPBT slug for a 12 pounder Parrot rifle. Great Stuff. Wished I had more now. BvT

kawalekm
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Here's a pic that includes a lead radioisotope container on the far left. It is soft lead that's very good for making swaged bullets or muzzleloading bullets. I have hundreds of pounds of these that I got from the radiation safety officer at my former university. Research schools use lots a radioactive materials in their graduate research laboratories and shipments from the manufacturers come in these containers. I got mine because I was a student that did use P32 in my research and got to know these people on a first name basis.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/380Autocaseto357bullet.jpg
If you have a university nearby you might want to contact their school's safety officer and ask if they have any EMPTY containers they want to recycle. Be upfront and tell them you are a target shooter and want to melt them down to make bullets. My experience is if you tell them what you want to do with it, they'll be happy to give you some or all of it.
Good luck,
Michael

Hardcast416taylor
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Recently a friend, yes I do have a friend, that works at a local hospital as a maintence worker dropped off over 200 lbs. of the stuff for me (6 containers). The hospital waits a full year, over twice the nuclear half life of the radiation, before disposing of it. It is checked with a geiger type tool for any rads being emited before letting it leave their lead lined vault where it is stored. Amazing the demand there is for it among the hospital staff that shoots and reloads, very little ever makes it to a scrap dealer. I`ve been using this lead for nearly 30 yrs. in my various cal. pistols and rifles, I compare it to nearly what ww straight is in hardness. :castmine: Robert