PDA

View Full Version : Spray Alox

softpoint
04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I just started using liquid alox this last year. I' had always run 'em through the lube sizer. Other than the mess, however I see some advantages to tumble lubing for some loads. One of the things I haven't liked has been the drying time, especially during humid weather, and when wanting to use a second coat. I remembered that distinctive odor from somewhere else, and finally saw it sitting on the shelf in my shop. Spray cans of some stuff that is made in Houston. It is called Defence, and is a rust preventative for steel parts. Now this stuff smells like LLA, and looks like LLA, but it is in aerosol form . It's been a while since I've used any of it, but Im thinking it dries pretty quickly, I have some bullets sprayed right now, so we'll see. It probably won't take the place of LLA, because it is probably somewhat more expensive to use, but if your in a hurry..... Anyway, it's called Defence, its made in Houston by Quest, so if anyone else wants to check it out...:coffeecom

Slow Elk 45/70
04-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks , SoftPoint, Let us know how or if it dries/ works

Horace
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Check out CRC SP 400. A spray on LLC. Horace

jdgabbard
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Interesting. Keep us updated. We require feedback.

BABore
04-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Check out the higher-end bicycle shops. They carry a alox based chain lube that's aerosol. Also check out a bottle of White Lightning chain lube. It is an even better alternative to alox for lower velocity pistol loads.

PatMarlin
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
I believe that's what "Fluid Film" spray is. Sure does smell and feel the same.

geargnasher
04-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I rember posting a speculation recently in response to a fellow from I think Denmark that Amsoil HD metal protector (motorcycle chain lube) seemed an aweful lot like LLA and I did enough comparing msds sheets to decide to try it. It works great on med. velocity pistol boolits and dries much less sticky and more quickly than LLA. It is also less than $10 a can at my local amsoil dealer for 1lb net. 1/2 price of LLA plus I can actually get it here. I ended up spraying a quantity into a ziplock and massaging it into the boolits, too much waste with too uneven coverage to spray directly on boolits, but maybe the spray technique could be refined.

Anyway, FWIW it worked. May be like some of the products listed here.

Gear

softpoint
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I have a new Ranch Dog tumble lube mold for 45/70, and I'm going to try it at 1900+ fps, We'll see how this spray works. I'm spreading the bullets out on a flat cookie sheet and spraying, then rolling around abit and spraing again. I thought about standing the bullets up and spraying around them, keeping the stuff off the bases, but i'ts been said that alox on the bases doesn't hurt anything.

jdgabbard
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a new Ranch Dog mold too. A the TLC359-190-RF. Those things are jewels aren't they!

Anyways, I'm really interested in this, especially for pistol boolits that I load in bulk. I.e. 4-500 at a time. The other stuff I use the dip method. You know anything to make the process go faster. I just tried spray case lube for the first time... I threw out my Lee case lube for good!!! Never had used anything but the lee stuff, and that takes WAY too long when your doing 500 pieces of brass. So like I said. Anything to get it going faster.

quasi
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Eastwod sells an Alox in a spray can.

kbstenberg
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Quasi i tried a google on Eastwod an i came up empty. Where do i go now?

Bill*
05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
eastwood maybe?

quasi
05-03-2009, 10:27 PM
sorry, I spelled Eastwood wrong.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1118&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1118

leftiye
05-04-2009, 07:33 AM
So how about using one of them load it yourself spray cans? You could have Carnauba, MDS, Alox or whatever you want maybe. Maybe thin some of that Lithium Moly grease and added Carnauba (forget what it is called).