PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer Gripper Grouper

Thumbcocker
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Anyone have any experience with these in a 1911? Good idea or hype?

Char-Gar
04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
That gizmo was fairly popular back in the 60's. It placed upward pressure on the barrel for firm contact of the barrel lugs into the slide. Accuracy seemed to be a bit better, but I always just fitted a longer link, which did the same thing. I never did care much for gizmos and thing-a-ma-bobs.

The current crop of 1911s are much more precise and better fitted than what we had back "in those days". Accuracy is much improved. My 2005 Govt. Model will shoot rings around my old National Match and Gold Cup Colts. You had to pay big bucks to Bob Chow, King, Clark and those guys to get what comes in the box today.

C1PNR
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Tried one many years ago in my LW Commander. Saw marginal, if any, accuracy improvement and eventually took it out.

Probably still have it in a cigar box somewhere, but I do not recommend it.

Kraschenbirn
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
+1 for not worth the effort. Tried one in a "parts" gun that I built up on an old AMT stainless frame. Couldn't tell any difference between "with" and "without." Replaced the original "mil spec" barrel with a Wilson barrel/bushing set and the gun shoots better than I can hold.

Bill

MtGun44
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Depends on what your problem is. If your barrel is well fitted, you'll see little or no
diff. If you have a sloppy fit, the DGG will put the rear of the bbl in a more consistent
location. The front may be slopping around or not.

Try racking the slide (EMPTY!) back and forth and then carefully push down on the
chamber thru the ejection port. Do this a couple times. See if the hood moves
downward any noticable amount. If yes, the DGG may help. If not, not likely.

Bill

waksupi
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I had one in one of my 1911's. It is no longer in there. I don't remember why, but there must have been a good reason for me to remove it.

35remington
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Wasn't it the Dwyer Group Gripper?

A gripper grouper sounds like some kinda weird fish.

Or what happens in the back of the car at the drive in.

softpoint
04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
About 10-15 years ago several guys around here started trying those things (I owned a public shooting range here) I personally never saw one gun that they helped. The only thing I could see that they did was to make the gun harder to take apart and put back together. One guy claimed he thought it helped his pistol with the first round (hand-racked) being out of the group, but I never saw any proof of that either.:coffeecom