PDA

View Full Version : Stupid thing I did

dragonrider
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Ealier I posted pic of turning the barrel for my TCR. Well now with it and the monobloc assembled, looking good and I am feeling pretty good so I silver soldered the forend lug on today. Let it cool grabbed the forend, placed it into position and IT DON'T FIT. I'm so pissed. When I turned the barrel I just cleaned it up to make it look good, never considered that it had to fit the dam channel in the forend. Now I gotta remove the lug, set up for turning the barrel again. [smilie=b:
I'm and going to shoot it first, I can do that without the forend. Perhaps if the weather this weekend sucks I can spend time in the shop and fix it. :x

04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
If it shoots, why don't you make the forend fit the barrel instead of the other way around? Just thinking, as I've never seen what you have to deal with.

stubshaft
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
If it shoots, why don't you make the forend fit the barrel instead of the other way around? Just thinking, as I've never seen what you have to deal with.

+1 What 725 said. Use a close fitting dowel with sandpaper and open up the barrel channel.

dragonrider
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
The forend fits the other two barrels I have. The rifle came with a 45-70 barrel. About 5 years ago I made up my first monobloc and fitted a 7.62X39 barrel and took into consideration that the forend should fit. This time I just plain forgot. Stuff happens I guess. The part that bothers the most is that turning the barrel is a slow process. Long thin turnings tend to chatter so speed need to kept slow and depth of cut kept light=many passes to complete. A rainy day weekend would serve well for that.

deltaenterprizes
04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Fit another forend!

leftiye
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
+1 - Fit another forend. Or not. I am very grateful for these threads. Makes me feel a little better that others have brain farts too!