PDA

View Full Version : Cooking spray???

jdgabbard
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone try using it on boolits prior to pushing them thru a lee sizer???

Cloudpeak
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Sounds messy. I use a very light coat of Hornady "One Shot" case lube on the bullets and it works very well. I also use the One Shot on all my pistol cases and one can has lasted me over 25,000 rounds of brass and bullets to give an idea of how little it takes. I know lube is not needed with carbide dies but the Hornady L-N-L AP progressive sure seems to run smoother with it.

Cloudpeak

RayinNH
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I do the same as Cloudpeak, Hornady One Shot. It evaporates in seconds and they sure go through the sizer easier...Ray

stubshaft
04-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Costs more than XLOX from Lars.

docone31
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I use dish soap if I want to remove the lube after sizing.
Works well.

jdgabbard
04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I use dish soap if I want to remove the lube after sizing.
Works well.

Well, I have plenty of mineral spirits, so its not a matter of removing it. I just don't know how well gas checks will take to boolit that is lubed with alox. Just recieved Ranch Dog's TLC359-190-RF and I have never played with GC boolits of the Tumble Lube variety.

Go ahead and lube them, seat the checks then and crimp them? You don't think they will slide off afterwards?

docone31
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Most will probably stay on. A crimp is not affected by lube. It is a mechanical fastening.
The more resistance during sizeing, the better the crimp.
If you Alox afterwards, I would size with dish soap, wash it off, then Alox it.

Leftoverdj
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I've used cooking spray for that use, but I've used anything that came to hand. It only takes a trace of anything remotely slick to ease bullets through a Lee sizer. Just rubbing a little hand lotion, baby oil, lanolin, or even Crisco into your hands will transfer enough onto the bullets.

Modern checks ain't going nowhere once they are crimped. They have a mechanical grip. I just dislike having two drying times and having to deal with LLA twice. None of the odd stuff I've used seems to interfere with LLA, either.

deltaenterprizes
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Pledge furniture polish or its clones have silicone in them and works great !

hunter64
04-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I've used just water on some .44 cal bullets and had no problems. Once they went thru the sizer I just spread them out on the table and let them dry and then added the LLA.

jdgabbard
04-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Or I guess since the checks kinda scrape the sides free of any lead on their way thru I could just size without.

I ended up lubing them up with alox though. Now to decide on a .357mag load for use with these babies...

Bret4207
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
If you have sized boolits that the GC's "slide off of" then you have other problems. As has been stated, the GC literally "crimps into the alloy of the GC shank. Even the old style Lyman non-crimp checks got a pretty good grip on the shank. A properly sized GC shouldn't ever "slip off" a properly sized GC shank.