PDA

View Full Version : Lee Challenger Press

craigf
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
On a Lee Challenger press is there any way to have the ejected primers still go down the chute without the priming arm in place. I prefer to prime using the Lee hand primer. With the priming arm in place you cannot remove the sized case with the press lever at its topmost position because the primer seater is located within the primer pocket at that stage. If you remove the primer arm the primer is ejected out the the righthand side of the ram.

dragonrider
04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
You must be talking about the new Challenger press because my old Challenger press has no priming attachment at all. Pictures would help alot.

Maximilian225
04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Can you possibly pull the primer arm out and put a piece of tape over the opening on the larger part?
I do not have this press and do not know how far down into the casting the ram travels. From the pictures I can find of it this might be an option.

-Max

RayinNH
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Craig, a few solutions for you. The easiest would be to remove the case before the lever is to the top position. The second would be to cut a piece of wood and fit it to the channel cut in the ram. Third and most final solution would be

RayinNH
04-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Seems there's a line missing from my picture. Should show being cut off at base of the primer holder pin...Ray

craigf
04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. Point taken about stopping the ram before it reaches the primer seater though I'm still stuck with the mindset of sizing being completed when the lever reaches the limit of its travel. I did contemplate cutting off the seating pin and given my options I probably will. I just thought I may have missed something in the press' setup. Thanks all.

dragonrider
04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
As I mentioned not haveing a newer Challenger press, what happens if you remove the entire priming device shown in Rays picture????? Why cut the pin if you can remove the device???

RayinNH
04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Paul if you remove the entire device shown the primers leap out of the slot cut in the ram, not all, but enough to be agravating...Ray

Heavy lead
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
OK, I ran into exactly the same problem with my Lee Classic press with the same exact primer attachment. Tape won't work because the ram then could not lower into the base all the way, what I did was to use a piece of brass rod cut to the proper link (I THINK 3/16") which I think as I recall I sanded down so it would fit in the slot tightly and whalla, it hasn't moved and all the primers go where they should, down the hole, and the ram moves in and out just as it should.

GP100man
04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
take the primer asm. out & insert a plastic straw to direct the spent primers, i think it was bean flip that posted a pic of it & i wish i had thought of it !!

it works!!

GP100man:cbpour: