PDA

View Full Version : Model 92 puma

fecmech
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I am currently on a trip to see some relatives and bought a Rossi Puma in .357. I won't be home for a few days to find out for sure but can anyone tell me if the 92 clones have oal restrictions like the Marlin 94's? I'm curious to know if 358429 can be crimped in the crimp groove in mag cases and still feed ok. I have a bunch loaded that way that I shoot in my Winchester 94 AE .357 as it has no problem with long oal's.

Calamity Jake
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
The short answer!!!! YES they do have OAL max limits but your 358429's may work as loaded, you will have to try some dumby rounds to find out

looseprojectile
04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
The 38 special case is your friend. I have saved a ship load of them over the years. Can even load the Ranch Dog 190 grain crimped in the second groove in the 38 special case.
I have the 358429 and 358421 and don't remember which one is longer but one is quite long, and won't work in a converted 92 Winchester.
The Puma will function with loads too long for some revolvers.
You are gonna like your 92 Puma, these guns are strong and light. A 94 Winchester is too much gun for a .357 .

Life is good

Pepe Ray
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Did you ever here the Confucius saying? "Man with 2 clocks does not know what time it is."
Well, it's like that with many firearms, especially M92 Rossi's. ToAYQ, I've got one that will and one that won't. On closer examination I can see what appears to be the problem. A simple tuning will take care of it. Needs to have a few sharp corners smoothed off. I wouldn't recommend doing it your self , altho I'm gonna try it.

cajun shooter
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Pepe, If you own and shoot 92's then you need to buy the DVD sold by Steve Young. It will save you if you tear the 92 down. Are you aware that the proper way to install the bolt back into the gun is with a fired case? See stevezguns.com Later David

fecmech
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replys gentlemen, I'll be home in a couple days and really get into this gun. I almost didn't buy it because it was heavier than my 94 Winchester. It has the 24" octagon barrel so I think (don't have a scale here) that it's crowding 8 lbs. But unlike the new Pumas it doesn't have the 1 in 30 twist barrel. I shoot a lot of .38's at 1100 fps so 1 in 30 didn't sound like a good idea. I don't know what it is but I'm guessing 1 in 16 or 18 by looking in the barrel. I'll go home and play with it and if I don't like it (highly unlikely) I can always sell it, I've only got $460 in it with tax. Again thanks for the replies. Nick

Pepe Ray
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Caj-shtr;
Thanks- got it. That's why I'm going to make the attempt. All I need now is a "rountoit". :-D
Pepe Ray

runfiverun
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
hey pepe,,, there are some leftover roundtoit's in the lube groove swap thread.
my 20" carbine version of this rifle feeds better with the longer 357 cases it has a little hitch with the 38's unless i long seat my boolits.
but i can go over book oal with my 45 which is nice, cause then i can shoot the h&g 68 45acp boolit in it.

shdwlkr
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I have a miroku model 92 and now I am wondering if it will take the 358429 or if i will have to use the 358156 in it. Dang you guys get a person to thinking about the darnist things. Just got it a little while ago so I don't know what works in it or doesn't.
Does anyone have one and what works in yours?
thanks

Hipshot
04-29-2009, 07:31 PM
You guys may want to look at this

www.castbullet.com/shooting/shooting/htm

Hip

fecmech
04-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Hip--that link doesn't work.

shdwlkr
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
hey guys try this link
http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm

sorry I don't know how to make it a hot link

Hipshot
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Don't remember where I got the sites----try these!

www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm

www.castbullet.com/makeit/rossi.htm

The articles were written by Junior Doughty .

Hip

Hipshot
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
I just tried those links and it is a bit F**ked up.
Click on the links go down to the bottom of the page and click on home----this will take you to Juniors website-------on the right side of his home page click on SHOOTING and look at the menu----that will get you there !

Hip

fecmech
05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I got home yesterday, grabbed some mag cases loaded with 358429 crimped in the crimp groove and went out back to the range( in the rain no less!). They ran through the gun just fine and I actually hit what I was shooting at most of the time. I'm going to play with it more today if the weather clears. I ordered a Taurus tang sight for it and will be doing a trigger job in the next few days, 6 lb triggers suck.

Farmall 1066
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Femech,

While you have the gun apart, take about 11/2 coils off the extractor spring. This makes an unbelievable difference in the smoothness of the action. I havent had any troubles with reliability after doing this. There are some really good teardown / reassembly guides available on the web, but I cant remember where at the moment.
Andy

Hipshot
05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
There is a total of 4 articles on reloading cast bullets for the Rossi plus one on sights.

Hip

fecmech
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Well I finally got the the #$%#&& Puma 92 back together! I wanted to take out the trigger return spring and thin it down some as it's adding a lot of weight to the pull. I was unable to remove the screw even with heat. Bent one of my bits and broke another along with the side of the screw slot. I will have to drill that out next week some time. I put the trigger in my sear jig and polished the sear surface and also the hammer hook. I did not cut any coils on any springs as yet but might have to further down the road. I want to get the trigger in the 2-2.5 lb range when I'm done. As it stands now with the super heavy return spring and stock hammer spring I'm at 4 lbs.

Farmall-I plan on nipping that spring a bit on my next go around. Thx for the tip.