PDA

View Full Version : AR running cast

BIGGUNGOBOOM
04-27-2009, 01:11 AM
I have been casting Pistol bullets for a long time and enjoy it very much. I have never thought about running them threw a AK,AR, SKS. but recently I have seen threads all over about guys running them threw sks's and such.

So this may sound like a stupid question but. dosent it mess up the gas system? I have a 55 grn Mold for 223 and I am a Big Alox guy. is their a way to run cast bullets in a AR with Alox-Xlox or would that just be stupid and point less. seeming that I am starting to run low on 223 bullets I wonder If it can be done without causing damage to the gas system.

I would want to do this as cheap as possible and would like to stay with ALOX-XLOX

what say you fellas?

randyrat
04-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Good question... there are a lot that shoot cast out of both types of weapons. I would think the AR would be more finicky than the AK or SKS design.
The gas piston design- you just have to swab it down, keep your exhaust port clean and the piston,tube clean but dry.
The AR design more finicky.... I don't think you'll do any damage,i think it would be more of how much/often do you want to clean it.
I think the million dollar question would be; How much and what lube to use. Too much or the wrong lube, your gonna gum things up. Not enough lube your gonna get leading towards the end of the barrel.
Bring cleaning supplies with you to the range.
I reserve any more to the experts with these weapons.

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Ive shot a bunch out of my 50 beowulf ar. The gas tube will not plug. The only problem ive found is fouling in th bolt is much greater with cast from the lube and it means you will need to pull apart your bolt after every session and clean it if you want to insure reliablility ESPECIALLY if its a gun that is used for the defense of your home too.

Calamity Jake
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Last summer I bought my RRA heavy varmit 1:12 just for cast, to date I have shot about 500 rounds thru it with 3 cleaning sessions tne gas tube is no where near clogged or fouled.
One week ago I took the day off work to go the range(exect. shooting weather) just to shoot cast in my AR and a new to me Rem 700sa 6MM BR also with cast.
I have 5 or 6 10 shot groups with the AR. When I get time I will post pics and load data.

vonnieglen
04-27-2009, 08:32 PM
An AK is ideal for cast bullets. They shoot more accurately than jacketed.