PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Seating and POI

VintageRifle
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Hello,

I have most likely overlooked the information I seek by not using the correct search terms. However, I have a question.

When seating a cast bullet, will seating the bullet to just touch the lands produce a different POI when the same bullet, powder, primer, case, etc. is used but seated to engrave the rifling?

I am going to guess yes as it increases the start pressure of the round.

I have been working with a Trail Boss plinker load for my K31.

I changed my seating to allow the bullet to engrave the rifling rather than just touch the rifling. When I had sighted this load in using a scope, I had to click up 8 to get the group centered on target. Now that I have changed the seating to allow bullet engraving, I had to back down my scope 8 clicks.

I did not have my Chrony with me.

RCBS 130gr 7.62mm SPL sized .308".
CCI 200 LR Primer.
9gr Trail Boss.

Shiloh
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I am also curious about this as well.

I have kept the same powder chage and varied the seating depths. Sometimes one shoots better than the other, and I have been blaming my eyes. I don't see as well as I used to.

Shiloh

Calamity Jake
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I have most likely overlooked the information I seek by not using the correct search terms. However, I have a question.

When seating a cast bullet, will seating the bullet to just touch the lands produce a different POI when the same bullet, powder, primer, case, etc. is used but seated to engrave the rifling?

I am going to guess yes as it increases the start pressure of the round.

I have been working with a Trail Boss plinker load for my K31.

I changed my seating to allow the bullet to engrave the rifling rather than just touch the rifling. When I had sighted this load in using a scope, I had to click up 8 to get the group centered on target. Now that I have changed the seating to allow bullet engraving, I had to back down my scope 8 clicks.

I did not have my Chrony with me.

RCBS 130gr 7.62mm SPL sized .308".
CCI 200 LR Primer.
9gr Trail Boss.

I think you answered your own ? Touching shoots higher than engraved, IN THAT RIFLE!!!

It MAY be different in another gun. Each fire arm sings it's own song.