PDA

View Full Version : April 2005 Military Bolt Match

sundog
04-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Go-o-o-o-lly, it show were windy! Stuff blowing off benches, targets not staying up. We estimated an easy 20 plus gusting to at least 40, prolly more. The only good thing, if you can call it good, was it was pretty much from 6 o'clock, mostly. It was strong enough from behind that few if anyone had any significant windage problems after readjusting from last month's quartering wind. I had to take three clicks rights to get centered back up. The real problem was throwing rounds high, and just about everyone experienced that. Get a group going and just as you touch one off the wind would let up, and there was one an inch or two high. Anyway, I shot a couple three inch groups and then shot a 97-4X, 97-3X, and 98-3X for a 292/300-10X. Needless to say I was very happy with that given the conditions! It was enough to win, also. So this load is now proven. Feb-win (decisively, 297), Mar-second (beat by 1X with a 291 and windy), and yesterday-win. Gotta love it! Rifle is a CMP rack grade Rem 03A3. Load is 30-180-SP w/Hdy GC and FWFL seated to etch, 23.0 N120, LCNM case, Rem 9 1/2 primer. Second place was a 291 and went to another 03A3 shooting my 311291s.

I think I mentioned this over on the other board. Early on with this rifle I gave up on the 30-180-SP. Somehow I got back around to it. Lo and behold if it's now my accuracy round in this rifle. Cast from the latest batch of copper babbit alloy that Felix, Beagle, and I have been messing with it's certainly doing a fine job.

After the match I shot my 700 VS LH .308. Still searching for a good cast load. The one I tried yeserday showed some promise, so I'll do some more of them - only had 9 rounds loaded. SAECO #301, 196 gr TC over 26.5 3031 for ~1800. There were three distinct clusters - touching holes - maybe a inch and half apart. That was fun! Now, if I can get one of the surp powders working in this rifle..., whew..., just think of all the CHEAP shooting! sundog

edit: I am so gassed about this rifle and load combo I almost forgot to mention all the fine folks who come out to shoot this match and have so much fun! My apologies. Other than the wind, it was a fine Spring day in northeast Oklahoma. Nineteen shooters were in the field, and I never heard a cross word spoken (well maybe one or two about the wind...), in fact, quite the contrary. The ten minute break in between the second group target and first score target often resembles a family reunion!

FAsmus
06-28-2005, 03:29 PM
There will be a long range Buffalo Rifle style match for any military rifle shooting cast bullets through the issue barrel, issue sights, any wood in Forsyth, Montana at the Forsyth Rifle and Pistol Club range. Cross-stick rest, ranges out to 800 yards. I'm going with my M1903 and Camp Perry sight tool.

Date will be 17 July 2005 (I think). More information if you're interested call Gene Kapitski in Forsyth.

Good afternoon,
Forrest