PDA

View Full Version : cast bullets in the kahr & poly rifling

bobthenailer
04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
is any one shooting cast in the kahr with the polygon barrel rifling ?

AnthonyB
04-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Bob:
I bought a P45 when they first came out and shot several hundred rounds (probably close to a thousand in two different frames and three different slides, all exchanged by the factory and they paid shipping) trying to prove the pistols reliability. I could never get the reliability I needed with any load, to include factory jacketed, but I never had any trouble I could trace to lead boolits. Never any leading even after several hundred rounds in a session, and the accuracy was always as good as I could hold.
I have a P9 customized into the Covert configuration before Kahr offerred it from the factory and it is my always pistol. It has never failed me at all, but I haven't shot any lead in it - I still have a few thousand FMJ bought cheap from Bartlett a few years ago. I will eventually get to lead in it and don't expect any problems. FWIW, I shoot nothing but lead in a Glock 30 and 30SF with no trouble at all.
I may try another P45 in a few years; it seem to me the IDEAL carry gun if it can be made reliable. Not knocking the Kahr design at all; I just couldn't make the P45 work.
Tony

fecmech
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Bob--I shot over 3500 rds of cast through a K9 9mm Kahr with no problems and good accuracy. I sized them to .357 and at least 70% of what I shot was max or close to max loads. I got minor streak leading which did not build up at all . the barrel looked the same after 100 shots as it did with one shot. I think each shot took out the streak from the previuos shot and left one behind. The barrel on mine was like a mirror from the factory and handled cast very well.

Catshooter
04-26-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a PM 45. (Love it, by the way.)

I have a standard .45 load of a 255 grain Keith over Universal Clays. Runs in all my 45s nicley. The boolit is wheel weights.

Put six through the Kahr to see if it would lead. There was a nice even ring of leading about three sixteenths long just in front of the chamber. This suggests to me that the alloy is too hard, so I'll try some 50/50 (wheel weights/pure lead) next.

I really like this Kahr and want it to perform with cast, of course.

Cat

chickenstripe
04-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a Kahr K-9 that I bought when they first came out..... in the late 90's. I shot thousands of lead raonds through it before I even heard that I shouldn't. Never more than say 100 or so at an outing, and I always cleaned after.

Terrier
04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I have about 7000 cast rounds through my Kahr P9. Other that the first few rounds getting the seating depth set, it has NEVER given a single "failure to" of any kind. It is my daily wear weapon.
Terrier

kingstrider
04-27-2009, 03:42 PM
No problems with running cast through my PM9.

dk17hmr
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49871&highlight=CW45

Are you not suppose to shoot cast in them? I have about 500 rounds of cast through it, it never fails me and is accurate.

I love my CW45 it goes with me everywhere and anywhere that is legal to carry.

dmen
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
My MK9 eats them up without a problem, never gave it a second thought. dmen

bobthenailer
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
thanks for the info!

Catshooter
04-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Some of the Kahrs have polygonal rifling, just like Glocks and H&Ks. They can give trouble with leading sometimes, sometimes to the point of destruction if the lead is allowed to build up badly.

Cat

bobthenailer
04-29-2009, 07:04 PM
well i bought the pm9 in the instructions they said you can soot cast but keep a eye on barrel leading and kleen the barrel every time after shooting!