PDA

View Full Version : Dacron - what is it and where

Gunsmoke
04-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I am fairly new to this form and have never posted a new thread so I am not even sure I am doing this right or in the correct place, but hope some one will straighten me out as needed.

Many of you talk about Dacron used as a filler and 20 some years ago when I was doing CB's ( I took a long break, now retired so doing some things I only thought of doing while working 3 jobs) I used some but don't remember what it is or where I obtained it. Now at the fabric store the bags are all labeled polyfil and Dacron is not mentioned anywhere. Is the polyfil same as Dacron? If not where do I obtain if not at a fabric or hobby store.

Gunsmoke

mooman76
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
The polyfil you are taling about is esentually the same thing. I think Dacron was actually a name brand when it first come out or something to that effect. I use dryer lint to do the same thing. It's free and readily available.

Larry Gibson
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
My usual post when this question comes up. A good question BTW.

Larry Gibson

I don't use the dacron filler or a wad either with the fast to medium burning "fast" pistol /shotgun type powders. I find a fast burning powder that is fast enough to ignite and burn efficiently at the velocity I want.

For use in rifle cases with slow “fast” burning powders (4227, 4759, 5744, 4198, etc.) up through the slow burning powders that give around 80% or less loading density I use a dacron filler between the powder and base of the bullet. The “dacron” is polyester fill as commonly found in pillows and toys. It also comes in sheets called “batting” . It can be obtained very reasonably at most any fabric store.

The dacron batting comes in various thicknesses. I prefer that which is about 5/8" thick. My wife recently bought me 10 yards which will give many, many thousands of cast bullet loads. With this current batch of batting I cut it initially across the width into strips about 3/4" wide. I then "eyeball" cut 1/2" wide chunks which is close to 3/4 gr.

A smaller chunk is cut for 1/2 gr and larger for a larger amount. I've cut some chunks that weight 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 grs and have them in a "snack" baggie stuck on a poster board above my loading bench for quick reference when I need to cut new chunks. The batting will run thin and thick throughout the sheet so I again just "eyeball it" based on the thickness of the batting when cutting the chunks.

Pretty extensive tests have demonstrated that the weight of the filler does not have to be exact, only close. What is important is that there is enough so that it “fills" the space between powder and bullet. A little too much hurts nothing but too little poses problems. That's why I have the different size "chunks" so I can use the right size for the case capacity I am filling. For example; with most medium burning powders (3031, 4895, 4064) in and '06 to function an M1 a 3/4 gr dacron filler is about right. With slower powders that give a higher loading density like 4831 a 1/2 gr filler is about right.

I use a section of .22 cal cleaning rod in cartridges of .30 - .375 cal to push the Dacron chunk inside the case just so it is all in. Some chunks go all the way and some are up into the neck. It doesn’t matter. I do not push it down on the powder but let the bullet do that when the bullet is seated. A small length of coat hanger works for the .22-7mm cartridges and a pencil works well for .45 cals.

Gunsmoke
04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Moonman & Larry,
Thank you for the info. It was very helpful. Now I can go to work and reload some CB's.

Bret4207
04-27-2009, 07:39 AM
It comes from Dacron trees. You'll find them in offices and malls everywhere. The leaves feel like plastic.:mrgreen:

jonk
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I xeroxed a paper today and blew my nose in a kleenex... vx. I photocopied something and blew my nose in a tissue. Same idea.