PDA

View Full Version : 12 gau wads

Johnch
02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I just got a new toy .
A Austin & Halleck 12 gau muzzelloading shotgun .

I am looking for sujestions where to buy the over shot and waxed wads for between the powder and shot .

Been to many years since I bought them for the *** I used to have .

Also do any of you make them yourself , I remember guys punching wads out .
But that was 20 years back and I am a little foggy on some of the details , not enough Scotch ?

Johnch

Dale53
02-22-2006, 10:11 PM
johnch;
Here is a GOOD source of the items you need:

WWW.circlefly.com

Dale53
P.S. Be sure and read the "sticky" regarding muzzle loading shotguns by V.M. Starr.
Dale53

Trapshooter
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Johnch,
If you are looking for a quick local source, I think Cleland's has them.
Trapshooter

garandsrus
02-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Johnch,

I use standard 12ga plastic wads in my muzzleloading shotgun. I use a thin cardboard overwad to keep the shot from falling out. I don't know if this is a good practice or not, but I haven't had any trouble with it.

My Father-in-Law (deceased) used to shoot some ducks with the gun. I have shot some pheasants with it and hope to take it duck hunting next year.

John

Johnch
02-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Trapshooter I would rather order online rather than being couged by Cleland's .

Last time I was in there I noticed they charge retail + for many things .

I did a web search and found several scources for wads , the WWW.circlefly.com site was one that looked good .

Thanks

I talked to a A&H rep the other day .
I found it is rated for 150 gr
I plan on using plastic wads for turkey and duck hunting .
I thought standard card wads would work fine for starlings .

Johnch

PatMarlin
02-23-2006, 12:34 AM
johnch...

I didn't know Austin & Halleck made a shotgun. Where can I see a picture of one?

Johnch
02-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Austin & Halleck shotgun (http://www.austinhalleck.com/AHPR15.html)

I got mine to test FREE from NAHC .
I just have to test it turkey hunting

I have already used it to take several released pheasants last weekend .

I just need to order more wads

Johnch

crazy mark
02-23-2006, 01:45 AM
Dixie Gun Works also has them. I use plastic wads and the older felt/carboard wads and punch out my own over the shot wads from cereal boxes. Dixie also sells the punches. I think my dbl bbl 12 ga was a CVA kit bought in 1982 or so. Mark

chuckshot
02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
New to the site but thought I could offer you some relevant info,
I make my own felt wads with an appropriate sized arch/hole punch and felt boot insoles from the dollar store. Over shot wads are punched out of waxed Paper milk cartons
Felt wads are soaked in you preferred lube when melted.
part of the do it yourself mentality most charcoal burners have.
If you want some good reading on the front stuffer shotgun, march 2004 issue of Backwoodsman magazine has a an article I wrote about my approach to hunting with my navy arms double.

Best regards

Junior1942
02-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Buy a 7/8" hole saw. Remove the drill. Grind off the saw edge and grind into a knife edge. Use a Dremel tool cut-off blade and serrate the edge, i.e., cut a bunch of gaps in it. Chuck the modified hole saw into a drill press and push down into a beer flat or cardboard box side and use a wooden board as backing. You'll have an endless supply of free wads.

For over powder wads, glue two dry single wads together. For over shot wads, lube single wads in lard or cooking oil and load singly over the shot column.