PDA

View Full Version : Join Lines

irgnz
04-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Proberly been asked before but couldn't find it.
Might have the wrong phrase for my search.
Anyway I have a new mould. Lee#90385 7.62mm 155gr.
Cast my fist boolits with it today and every one has a line on both sides where the mould blocks join.
As far as I can see and feel it is only visual as there is no detectable ridge.
Will this effect boolit preformence?
I have othr lee and lyman moulds that sometimes get the part line but not to this extent and not on every one.
Cheers.

Buckshot
04-26-2009, 02:50 AM
I have a new mould. Lee#90385 7.62mm 155gr. Cast my fist boolits with it today and every one has a line on both sides where the mould blocks join. As far as I can see and feel it is only visual as there is no detectable ridge.

Will this effect boolit preformence? I have othr lee and lyman moulds that sometimes get the part line but not to this extent and not on every one.
Cheers.

..............If you cannot detect block offset, or a raised 'fin' etc, then you'll have no problems at all. All you're seeing is similar to rubbing a piece of steel with some steel wool. First going in a circular pattern and then straight back and forth through the circle. There is no dimensional difference, just a pattern shift from one block to another.

http://www.fototime.com/7B5E80F99FF60E7/standard.jpg

Three boolits from a 6 cavity Lee group buy from some time back. Only the boolit on the left has the faintest indication of a parting line. Unless there is block offset even 'Fingernail' detectable ridges don't mean much when it comes to general shooting.

..............Buckshot

runfiverun
04-27-2009, 12:28 AM
if you see a parting line and no finning you have good fillout.
like buckshot said if you don't see an offset you got no problems.