PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Pystis
02-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Guys,

I came across with this rifle in Finnish auction sites. Seller says it´s Remington and 7 mm but I doubt the manufacturer..? I´ve never seen anything like that before.
It is bubbaed alot for sure but what´s the action.
Link (http://www.huuto.net/fi/showitem.php3?itemid=27483093)

Jukka

versifier
02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Could you please translate the description? It doesn't look like any Remington I recognize. The bolt handle position doesn't match anything I can find under Remington in the GTG, either, except the rimfires.

Pystis
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Could you please translate the description? It doesn't look like any Remington I recognize. The bolt handle position doesn't match anything I can find under Remington in the GTG, either, except the rimfires.

Versifier,

There you go.

"Pretty old Remington rifle for sale. Caliber is about 7mm. The gun requires a purchasing license, altough it is not in firing condition. A new stock made for barreled action (old was in a bad shape and broken). I may send some more pictures of the gun. Depending on goods, I may consider trading also."

That´s not very accurate translation, but I think the idea is the same...

Jukka

bruce drake
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Jukka,

The rifle started out life as either a Chassepot or a Gras in 11mm and was probably rebarreled to 7mm Mauser sometime in the past. Please refer to the picture of the action and compare the two bolts.

I would not recommend buying it to shoot due to the age of the action. But I'm sure it is a definite conversation starter.

Bruce

twotoescharlie
02-22-2006, 08:59 PM
definately a GRAS action(black powder), the bolt handle lug is all that locks the action up.

TTC

Pystis
02-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Jukka,

The rifle started out life as either a Chassepot or a Gras in 11mm and was probably rebarreled to 7mm Mauser sometime in the past. Please refer to the picture of the action and compare the two bolts.

I would not recommend buying it to shoot due to the age of the action. But I'm sure it is a definite conversation starter.

Bruce

I wasn´t interested on buying it anyway. It would be ridiculous to get licences for non-shootable firearm. Just saw the picture and it started to bother me. I recall now that I saw a shotgun conversion of Chassepot once.
But thanks for the info.

Jukka

bruce drake
02-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Jukka,

No problem, we aren't to the level where we have to have alicense for each of our rifles here in the United States, but I can understand where you want to keep your license space for shootable rifles.

Bruce

rocklock
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Hmm...I've seen 'em in 8x50R Lebel and .43 Mauser, but never in a 7mm.

Pystis
02-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Jukka,

No problem, we aren't to the level where we have to have alicense for each of our rifles here in the United States, but I can understand where you want to keep your license space for shootable rifles.

Bruce

I of course ment that it is ridiculous to buy such guns here in Finland, ´cause the buying permit costs 32 Euros. That would be almost $39 for each and every gun you buy.
If it´d be like there in U.S. it would be totally different.
It is possible to apply for a collector´s license here, but it is darn pricy, and you have to pay whether or not you get it. IIRC,IF you get the collector´s licence you don´t have to get apply for that buying permit for every gun.

I wonder how that gun ended here in Finland...

Jukka

abunaitoo
02-25-2006, 03:48 AM
Remington made some Berthier rifles for French and US troops during WWI. I'm almost sure it was in 8x50 label.