PDA

View Full Version : found a red hawk today

txpete
04-25-2009, 05:55 PM
a 357 w 5 1/2 barrel NIB:drinks::drinks:.I have been looking for one for years.I have a bunch of 358429's ready to try out.range report soon.
pete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/redhawk001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/redhawk002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/redhawk006.jpg

Ben
04-25-2009, 06:18 PM
A SUPER nice pistol.

That one will hold just about anything you can put into it ! !

A super strong pistol !

A VERY good buy that you've made today.

Ben

Calamity Jake
04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I got one of them!! Along with a 7.5 41 and the 44 all SS, thought about geten the 45C but have not. YET

kingstrider
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Cool find. If you don't mind my asking how much did you give? I only ask because I know they are hard to find and would love to have one as well.

txpete
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
well lets say less than a new super redhawk :-D.they started off at 795.00 :roll: but cash talks and money is tight around here.
pete

big dale
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I had a friend that lived in Austin back in the mid 80's and had one of those.

It was one of those guns that got more accruate with heavier loads than made sense. Some of the loads we put thru that one were most accruate if you could get past the fact that the primers fell out. It was another of those times when God took care of me for no apparent reason. I do not advise anyone to shoot loads anywhere near that hot. I had an old Lee bullet mould that cast a 166 grain plain base semi-wadcutter boolit and we water-dropped them for that gun. It just loved Herco for a powder.

Hope you enjoy the gun as much as Tony and I did that one.

Big Dale

BOOM BOOM
04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
HI,
As you may know I bought a used one for $560 at the begining of this summer.
I love it. Looked for 5 yrs for one.
Have owned S&W 27, & a Blackhawk in 357,
have shot pythons, K & L frams.
LIKE THE REDHAWK BETTER.
Have fired about 500 j-bullets & 1-2,000 cast in it so far.
:Fire:
you going to have fun.

EMC45
04-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Had a buddy offer me one a few years back for 250!!! I should have jumped at that! It was mint and .357!

Tom Herman
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I got one of them!! Along with a 7.5 41 and the 44 all SS, thought about geten the 45C but have not. YET

Hi Calamity Jake!

I have three .45 LC Redhawks in Stainless... The first was the 7-1/2" bbl, then I bought the 5-1/2" bbl.
When the 4' model was announced, I eagerly bought it as well.
I had problems with all three: The cartridges would stick in the cylinders after firing, and hang up in the extractor plate as well. It's NOT my reloads, as I run midrange target loads (8 grains of Unique behing a 255 grain bullet of one type or another), and I don't have the problem in either my Model 25 or the New Service...
All the cylinders and extractor plates were slightly reamed, and those problems went away.
My 4" is currently at the smiths due to a bent (!?!) pin at the back of the cylinder causing failure of the cylinder to close and lock up.
These issues notwithstanding, I'm overjoyed with the Redhawks! They are mean shootin' machines. I enjoy firing them at ranges up to 100 yards.
They are accurate and fun, and don't rust in outings in the local rain forest, or if they accidentally drop (with me!) into the creek.
I would say go out and get one in whatever size you want, but be prepared to have to send it out for service at least once initially.
Once the work is done to make it reliable, you'll be pleased with it.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Crash_Corrigan
05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I had one of those for a while. In .44 Mag with the 7 1/2 bbl. Helluva stout gun but had a lousy and heavy trigger pull. I sold it off and got a enuf money to get a .30 Carbine BH that I love to shoot.

Frank
05-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I would say go out and get one in whatever size you want, but be prepared to have to send it out for service at least once initially.
Once the work is done to make it reliable, you'll be pleased with it.

As long as the cylinders aren't too big. If so, do you think Ruger would replace them, or would they say "It's within spec." This is the down side of major manufacturers. Along with 'be prepared to send it out for service at least once iniitially'. Why can't they get it right the first time? They do it right the second time? Ford vs Chevy? Right, Ford goes down the tubes, and so does Chevy. They'll sure get that right.

Tom Herman
05-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Why can't they get it right the first time? They do it right the second time? Ford vs Chevy? Right, Ford goes down the tubes, and so does Chevy. They'll sure get that right.

Yep, I was miffed the first time it happened, more so the second, and prepared for it the third. If I didn't like the gun, I wouldn't have bought another one after the problems with the first one.
I almost fatalistically expect products not to work right, even direct out of the box right from the factory, anymore.
The manufacturers have to get their act together.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Frank
05-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I almost fatalistically expect products not to work right, even direct out of the box right from the factory, anymore.

Murphy's law. What can go wrong will be wrong. Also, save the box. It's easy to not do that, being excited and all. But like you say, expect it not to work, is the right attitude.

9.3X62AL
05-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I've had a Redhawk x 44 x 5.5" for a dozen years or so, and it is hell for stout. I'm conflicted between holster carry or a sling strap, but other than its heft it's an outstanding revolver. It would make quite an impression as an impact weapon, too.

Awww, what the hey--I have S&Ws in 44 Special and 41 Magnum for stylin', and Bisley Blackhawks in 357 and 45 Colt for S/A stylin'. Everyone should have at least one boat anchor to hold ya in place in heavy winds.

Congrats on your new Redhawk x 357. Those don't exactly grow on trees.

Frank
05-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Everyone should have at least one boat anchor to hold ya in place in heavy winds.

That's pretty funny. Have you ever seen those big shower head assemblies they sell all steel? You can carry one of those in your belt all around for safety. [smilie=b:

Big Boomer
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
txpete: All the other complaints notwithstanding about Rugers, I've had a bunch of them and never had a problem with any of them except for bad triggers, which I fixed myself. I had a set of Redhawks (before the .45 Redhawk) - .357, .41, &
.44 mag., and all in 5 1/2" and all in SS with Pachmayers. Couldn't tell them apart at a glance. Since the hole in the bbl. and the cylinders were smaller in the .357, it was the heaviest of the three, though Ruger did slim the bbl. of he .357 down a bit. I guess Ruger couldn't do much with the cylinder itself, dimensions being what they were. The .357 was kinda' special ... it had the longest forcing cone I've ever seen on a revolver. Must have been at least 1/4" to 3/8" from the rear end of the bbl. before you could see any rifling. Gave a 125 gr. Winchester j-bullet a powerful running start down the bbl. I had one particular load chronied and the velocity was unbelievable! Accurate, too! Unfortunately, I traded them all off. You got yourself a fine revolver. 'Tuck

txpete
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
thanks..I haven't had it out to the range yet:(.I had a MRI on mon and see the doc again this coming mon for the results.the meds he has put me on I won't shoot or get near my reloading bench ect.I am funny about that kind of stuff.
as soon as I get off this stuff I will have a range report on the redhawk.I am really looking fwd to shooting this one.
pete