PDA

View Full Version : Ajax simulated ivory grips

Thumbcocker
04-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know of a way to make the white grips look a little more natural and not quite so brighty and "plasic"?

Thanks

RayinNH
04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Thumbcocker, If they're brand new a little patience may be needed. I bought some simulated ivory from another source. After a few years of handling the dirty casings at the range and then cleaning off the grips with gun solvent, they have assumed a nice golden color...Ray

jhrosier
04-25-2009, 06:14 PM
I have heard of folks using tea to stain fake ivory grips.
Never tried it myself.
I have a pair of Ajax grips that are about ten years old and they have taken on a pleasing hue due to dirt, handling, gun oil, and cleaning.

Jack

jh45gun
04-26-2009, 02:46 AM
I have heard of folks using tea to stain fake ivory grips.
Never tried it myself.
I have a pair of Ajax grips that are about ten years old and they have taken on a pleasing hue due to dirt, handling, gun oil, and cleaning.

Jack

I read an article about John Wayne's Colts that they said he stained them with Tea to get the color he wanted. Not sure if that is true but thats what the article said. Try it as it either works and takes on the tea color or it don't.

Irascible
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes, I've heard of Tea, also Taffin used leather dye.

Pepe Ray
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
If you choose leather die use EXTREME CAUTION. I've got 45 year old stains on my skin from a leather die transfer. Not even a direct application.
The tea sounds more reasonable to me.
Pepe Ray