PDA

View Full Version : Mill Identification.

Muddy Creek Sam
04-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Howdy all,

Used the mill on Aluminum today, So looked to see what it was, On one side it say's Van Norman Cast into the Casing in Large letters, On the other is a plate that said Oliver Van Horne. Which is the make of the Mill? It said model 16P. If you can direct me to where to find out more about it, Please let me know.

Thanks,

Sam :D

elk hunter
04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Sam,

Google "Yahoo Van Norman Group" I believe you'll find what you'r looking for.

You'r a lucky man to own any Van Norman equipment. I've only used one Van Norman mill, a small horizontal, but it was a dandy. Extremely well made.

Muddy Creek Sam
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
elk hunter,

Dad picked it up at a plant closing sale about 25 years ago. he also left me a Southbend Lathe that was picked up and rebuilt after a plant fire. It was originally made in the 30-40s. I am trying to learn to use the mill and am hoping to find some paperwork on it.

Sam :D

DownunderHunter
05-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Hi Muddy Creek Sam.
Brings back memories.
Seems you have a Van Norman Milling Machine, good machines,whereas Van Dorn made valve seating gear.
I remember whilst doing an Apprenticeship,nearly 50 years ago,we had Van Norman Milling machines & several South Bend 10 & 11 inch South Bend Lathes.
The 10 inch lathes had a larger Diameter Spindle Bore.
Both the Lathes & Millers had many attachments,& it was suprising what we made on them.

Bret4207
05-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Van Norman made, or makes, a bunch of really good stuff. Very high dollars, even used. Your South Bend lathe should be a snap to find info on as there is a very large following for these lathes.