PDA

View Full Version : 6 cavity round ball mould?

will52100
02-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Anyone interested in a 6 cavity round ball mould group buy?

I'm thinking of two, one in .380 and one in .454. I don't even know if it's posible yet or if Lee would be able to do it with the tangent cut off like in there two cavity moulds. At this point I'd live with a bit of a sprue for a 6 cavity. I shoot a lot of cap and ball revolvers, and I can go through a couple hundred in a couple hours.

When I get my income tax return I'm going to see about getting one made regardless, but it'd be a big savings and potentialy help other people out if a bunch of us get together.

I will try to contact Lee pretty soon and see what I can find out. Rite now I'm just seeing if there's any intrest or if I'm the only one wanting higher production round balls.

Thanks

Buckshot
02-22-2006, 05:01 AM
Anyone interested in a 6 cavity round ball mould group buy?

I'm thinking of two, one in .380 and one in .454. I don't even know if it's posible yet or if Lee would be able to do it with the tangent cut off like in there two cavity moulds. At this point I'd live with a bit of a sprue for a 6 cavity. I shoot a lot of cap and ball revolvers, and I can go through a couple hundred in a couple hours.

Thanks

.............I think it was pretty steep as they use a carbide ball, and it's hell to grind one.

................Buckshot

Dale53
02-22-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but you may have a problem trying to find enough people to make a group buy on round balls. Seems like the muzzle loaders I shoot with all have a different caliber rifle or pistol. It IS possible, I guess.

Good luck.

Dale53

will52100
02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
No go on the Lee 6 cavities, they flatly refuse to cut more than one round ball cavity custom mould at a time. They say they can't, I find it hard to believe. If I was a better machinest I would just buy a cherry and mould blanks and make my own. I'm checking into NEI moulds, they have 6 cavity, but are kinda high.

.380 and .454 are the two most common sizes for cap lock revolvers. 36 and 44 respectivly, I would think that there would be intrest with the number of black powder revolver shooters out there.

Thanks

waksupi
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't know if there is all that much demand. Maybe in the Civil war Re-enactors? I know they aren't big in this area. Our bigger BP shoots draw around 180 participants, and you very seldom see a C&B revolver being fired. Mostly single shot ML's. The revolvers can be a safety hazard on a range. One guy managed to shoot himself in the shoulder with one in this area a couple years ago. Dufus with a shoulder holster. That's the last I've heard of one on the ranges here.

StarMetal
02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Ric,

But don't most the re-actments just use the powder and no projectiles? Like when they reinactments of civil war battle were more to show the stratgies , where the troops were stationed, give you an ideas of the masses of them, rather then shoot real bullets?

Joe

waksupi
02-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Ric,

But don't most the re-actments just use the powder and no projectiles? Like when they reinactments of civil war battle were more to show the stratgies , where the troops were stationed, give you an ideas of the masses of them, rather then shoot real bullets?

Joe

Joe, I think they have shoots on the side. I'm sure they use blanks in the actual re-enactments. I went to one about thirty years ago, and they already had anal retention down to an exact science. I felt no joy, nor urge to further participate. I hear is is even worse now.

45 2.1
02-25-2006, 11:43 PM
You wouldn't be interested in a four cavity 375 RB Lyman would you?