PDA

View Full Version : Wheelweight Sticker Shock

Ricochet
04-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I put some pimpin' new spinner hubcaps on my new Yaris. Trouble is, the spinners are molded out of thin ABS plastic and they stop spinning after 5 seconds. I came up with a bright idea to fix the problem: Eight 2 oz. adhesive weights stuck around the edges of each of the spinners on the back would keep 'em going like the Energizer Bunny. Went online and looked for adhesive wheelweights, and my eyes bugged out when I saw what suppliers are selling these things for. I'd be spending more on 4 lbs. of wheelweights than the hubcaps cost! :shock:

Bert2368
04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
The plastic spinners also might not be strong enough to take the centrifugal force from doubling their weight, especially if you add it all to the outside edges... Do the math, see how fast your rim speed is at 65 or 70 mph. Those weights would leave like bullets if the spinner broke up.

Ricochet
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Excellent point. I think I can weight them up quite a bit, though.

cabezaverde
04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Excellent point. I think I can weight them up quite a bit, though.

I think I have some new ones, complete with sticky. Let me know if I can be of help.

madcaster
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Friend John,
Whats a Yaris,and whats it need ww's for?Do we have more competition to get [smilie=1:

Slow Elk 45/70
04-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Whut the H... is a Yaris ??? never seen WW on one, can't imagine "spinner hubcaps" on anything......even a Yaris . :kidding:

largom
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I thought someone had bumped me out of one of my WW suppliers. In a 3 month period he had acumulated only 1/2 bucket of wheel weights. When I acquired of the reason he informed me that he was re-using the old weights because of the cost of new ones. These were clip un weights not stick on.
Larry

scrapcan
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.toyota.com/yaris/

If you put spinners onit you better also put a resonator on also. :kidding:

Ricochet
04-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Exhibit A, 1 Yaris equipped with pimpin' spinners:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs036.snc1/3295_92359087811_693517811_2451396_7855579_n.jpg

My plan is to put two weights on the outside edge of each of the 4 arms of the "Iron Cross" shaped spinners. There's a shallow depression in the centerline of each arm; the weights need to flank that.

Ricochet
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
If you put spinners on it you better also put a resonator on also. :kidding:I think purple "neons" under the body are the next thing I need.

twotrees
04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Big Purple hat with a feather stuck in the side of it [smilie=1:

jimkim
04-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I think purple "neons" under the body are the next thing I need.

No, get green or white. I used to do this for a living. Trust me you want something that complements your car's colour. What sound system are you going with?

Ricochet
04-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Green, I think that would work well.

Sound system's staying stock.

And yeah, a big purple hat with a feather would be nice.

jimkim
04-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Oh well. It's your hearing. I guess if you wanna' keep it, that's your business.

pdawg_shooter
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Where are the fussy dice?

sundog
04-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Get two of them, one to 'do it' on and the other to cover it up.

madcaster
04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Whew!Thought it may have been a little green man from outer space-or obama's adminstration after our wheelweights!
Glad you clearified that one John,now I can rest easier!

jimkim
04-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I think it should be very interesting to see how long an unbalanced spinning and weighted object made of plastic lasts before it succumbs to catastrophic failure from fatigue brought on by cyclic loading. You do know it will put your wheels and tires out of balance, right? It will be even more interesting because the amount it is off will change depending on the position of the spinning weights to the balance weights on your wheels.

Geraldo
04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
jimkim,

It's a Yaris, not a hemi-powered Challenger. How much force can it generate?

Ricochet,

It's a Yaris, and no amount of pimpin' will make it a hemi-powered Challenger. :kidding:

Stick_man
04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Geraldo,
Shame on you for even putting the good name of the Challenger into the same conversation as that other thing.

Go talking like that around a Mopar and it'll kick your butt. Hemi or not, the Challenger don't need no stinkin' pimpin'. :mrgreen: Certain things just should not be mixed.

And, no matter how much pimpin' you do to that little Toyota, it will still be no more than a Neon. 'Course, the Challenger would never be able to match that kind of gas mileage, but then that's not why people buy the Challenger.[smilie=2:

scrapcan
04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I fyou look up some of the spinners you can even change the location of the weights to make the spinner spin longer. No joke look at some of the more expensive wheel covers.

I am ashamed to admit I know some of this as I would never think of doing something like this to any vehicle. I just got to pick one up off the side of the road once and foudn it had one wieght and 3 places to put it. the weight went into the pot and the spinner in the trash.

The only time I even think about these is when I get next to some rice rocket with a resonator and I wish they only had spinners. My wife has even got to the point in the summer that she will try to grunt the diesel truck so it blows their little car full of black smoke as we go by becasue she hates the base and resonator so much.

jnovotny
04-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I've been known to smoke out those little rice burners with a cloud of diesel smoke every chance I get. Just about every day on my way to work. I've been flipped the bird lots of times. They can't see me laughing thru the cloud.

Trey45
04-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I still don't understand why some folks put $4000 worth of rims and lowpro tires on a $270 car.
I can understand the stereo though, as an audiophile I appreciate high quality sound. The bass I can do without. When the BOOM BOOOM BOOOOOM of the bass overpowers the rest of the audio.

arclight
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
What are wheel weights used for? Can they be made from bullets? I've never heard of anyone attaching one to a car, nor am I certain why this practice would exist.

Arclight

Ricochet
04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Some of y'all are taking this WAY too seriously. I've just put some cheap spinner hubcaps on my nice little Yaris for a laugh. You ought to see the skull and crossbones wheel covers my wife put on hers!

I did a worst case scenario calculation for my originally proposed 2 X 2 oz. weights on each arm of each spinner at the 120 MPH top speed of the car at a 6" mounting radius and got a centrifugal force on each arm of 132.4 lbs.! That's way more than I expected! I have grabbed the edges of a spinner and pulled them apart as hard as I could without any yielding, but I'm sure I can't pull anywhere near that hard. I'm not pushing my luck that far! Of course the car will likely never see over 85 MPH and that quite rarely, but I want a good safety margin. I think I'd better not go past an ounce total on each arm, max. Maybe half that.

With careful installation they should be balanced, which of course will be instantly apparent as the heavy side will rotate to the bottom if they're not.

I've thought about casting some masses or carefully cutting squares of the sheet lead I have on hand and using double sided tape to stick them on. I think I'd more likely get good uniformity with casting than cutting.

scrapcan
04-25-2009, 01:09 PM
ricochet,

I had suspected a bit of sarcasm in your actions. Afterall it is not everyday you Santa driving a Yaris with spinners on it. I think your experimenting will yield good results. And I wat to see a video of you with the spinners going. We have a nice gal around here that has a cherry '69 camaro SS, she is in her 80's! it is pretty cool to see the looks on peoples faces when she gets out of the car around town. She told me she bought it new because she liked the color.

cabezaverde
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Ricochet,

Clean out a couple PM's so I can get back to you.

Geraldo
04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Some of y'all are taking this WAY too seriously.

Are you serious? It's impossible to take a Yaris with spinners too seriously. :wink:

Ricochet
04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Ricochet,

Clean out a couple PM's so I can get back to you.
Done.

And Geraldo, that's exactly the point. :mrgreen:

Ricochet
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
These things, BTW, are spinning more freely after simply driving around a while and breaking them in. :-D

Ricochet
04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I've been experimenting (using easily removable tape) putting 1/2 oz. weights around the spinners. I've convinced myself that I can't cut and mount these things precisely enough for the required very high level of balance, considering the flimsiness of the bearings. I don't want any wheel cover "explosions" while tooling down the Interstate! Thanks to cabezaverde for supplying wheelweight samples! I'll get you some of those boolits cast soon.
:drinks:

jar-wv
05-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I have visions of that whole car shaking at a standstill while spinners are going full blast with ww stuck on them.:-D

jar

sav300
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Is this a case of lead poisening?[smilie=1:

Ricochet
05-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I lost one of my pimpin' spinners on the drive to Cookeville yesterday, doubtless somewhere in the blinding rainstorm with the big splashing puddles on the Interstate. There were several crashes that bogged traffic down to a crawl for long stretches. Still got 42.9 MPG (with our little American gallons) from my Yaris with all that. Dunno what I'm going to do about the broken set of spinners now. What I REALLY wanted was a set of baby moon hubcaps, but Toyota wheels lack the lugs for snapping on hubcaps.

Gunslinger
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
No way you put spinners on a Yaris... he he you rock dude :-D

I defiantly see you rollin' down whatever Boulevard you got where you live, with your chrome spinners, neon underneath and your beard blowing in the wind. You a pimp man.... you a pimp :bigsmyl2:

Ricochet
05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Ordered a new set of different spinners. On the way.