PDA

View Full Version : Casting outside

Frank
04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Is it bad to cast outside? I like the hobby better if I can do it outdoors. I read an article on casting that stated that to make good boolits you needed to be inside. What are the limitations in keeping the hobby outside?

markinalpine
04-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Check out Goatlips in action::Fire:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36726

Watch out for the weather, though. Won't work in the rain too well. :mrgreen:

Mark :coffee:

Calamity Jake
04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
"Won't work in the rain too well"

Don't cast in the rain but during a rain is the best time to cast!! Best fillout and heavest weight.

JSnover
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
It's pretty nice to cast outside as long as nothing is falling into the pot. Some limitations would be small children/pets in the area, fire hazards, electricity requirements...

putteral
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I only cast outside but pick sunny days to do it.
:drinks:

Slow Elk 45/70
04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
If you control your surroundings, outside is just fine and you get great ventilation.

I have a shed roof on my shop and when it is warm enough, I like to work outside also.
Rain/water can be a problem if your location doesn't have a good roof and wind can also play hobb with your temperature in your pot.

But no one said it was easy.

markinalpine
04-24-2009, 11:41 AM
"Won't work in the rain too well"

Don't cast in the rain but during a rain is the best time to cast!! Best fillout and heavest weight.

Since I live in an arid semi-desert, I guess I,m :groner: scroood.

Mark :kidding:

Frank
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Sunny days are best from what I can tell. Breezes made it difficult, the Lee aluminum mold seemed to get cold fast, or ladle and it freezes up. I'm only talking 68-72 degrees here, I'm not on the Great Lakes, but where I'm at it's overcast alot, fog, shifting winds, etc. I had a really good time on a warm day, good fillout at base, just below 'frosting'. But when I went to a cooler day and shifting winds, it was all havoc. Good day 750'F worked. "Bad" day with above conditions and I needed 800'F but there were still problems. Still sorting what I am doing. But it looks like the environment can really affect whether it's a good or a bad casting day.

Hurricane
04-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I always cast outside. The ventilation is better an any indoor setup. I keep upwind of the pot.

leadeye
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
The tailgate of my truck outside is the only place I can cast. Usually have to make a wind shield of sorts to keep the pot warm and watch out for the block captains.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
LeadEye, Whut are Block Capitains:confused:, is they like the Messiahs community orginazers??[smilie=1:
You need to watch out for these people while you cast??? Oh Man, what are we coming to.:twisted:

JSnover
04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Block Captains are self-appointed Guardians of Law & Order. If they don't understand what you're doing they'll call the police, fire, etc, just to keep things on an even keel, in their opinion. And if you don't toe the line (their line) they'll do it just to harass you. I've had fire trucks roll up to my house with sirens blaring because someone reported smoke coming from my chimney. It was a chilly spring morning and the kids had thrown a pizza box in the fireplace to warm the room a bit. A HazMat team showed up once because someone spotted a dribble of antifreeze in my driveway. More like instigators than organizers. God help us if they ever get any real authority....

sheepdog
04-24-2009, 04:17 PM
This is why I'd never live in a HOA area. People like that make me want to give them a legitimate reason to call the police.

anachronism
04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
You can just make a little tent of aluminum foil & set it over your pot.

JIMinPHX
04-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I always cast outside.

SWIAFB
04-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I cast and smelt in a detached garage, doors and windows open. I bet Bullshop casts inside.

Echo
04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I cast inside and smelt outside. The smoke from residue on the WW's kinda puts SWMBO off, so I make sure the aroma wafts off into the desert...

I should clarify that I have a little reloading room (used to be a storeroom off the carport), so there is no drama regarding aromas intruding on SWM. I've wired it up w/plenty of power, and an AC - a space heater works during the cold months to keep it habitable.

jlchucker
04-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I only cast outside but pick sunny days to do it.
:drinks:
Me too! If I move into my garage I leave the door up. You need good ventilation for your own personal health.

wills
04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Block Captains are self-appointed Guardians of Law & Order. If they don't understand what you're doing they'll call the police, fire, etc, just to keep things on an even keel, in their opinion. And if you don't toe the line (their line) they'll do it just to harass you. I've had fire trucks roll up to my house with sirens blaring because someone reported smoke coming from my chimney. It was a chilly spring morning and the kids had thrown a pizza box in the fireplace to warm the room a bit. A HazMat team showed up once because someone spotted a dribble of antifreeze in my driveway. More like instigators than organizers. God help us if they ever get any real authority....

Seems these people are close to being charged with making a false report to law enforcement.

Mtman314
04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Seems these people are close to being charged with making a false report to law enforcement.

Sounds to me that it proves the old adage that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Should be a way to hold them accountable. Just one more reason to stay away from a Home Owners Association.

Adk Mike
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a heated workshop my back yard. I have a kitchen range hood built into the shelving over the workbench. I like to cast on cold winter days and spent the nice dayes shooting. The light in the range hood is handy when your doing other things on the bench. Mike

HeavyMetal
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Have a garage and a covered patio on the back of the house.

I set up a work bench against the far end and cast from that in the summer, fresh air and shade!

Just got my first hot plate and will get some steel tomorrow and make a mold heater out of it. Plans include a special "nipple" to fit HP pins in to keep them warm. With luck I won't have any more trouble with mold temps moving up and down!

As for block captains? Every one is elected! Run against them or campaign against them and watch how fast they get in line!

Boondocker
04-24-2009, 09:45 PM
LeadEye, Whut are Block Capitains:confused:, is they like the Messiahs community orginazers??[smilie=1:
You need to watch out for these people while you cast??? Oh Man, what are we coming to.:twisted:

Ah I venture to say they would really be upset me taking a leak out in the yard.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/boondocker6/005.jpg

archmaker
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I have always casted outside, never even considered it a problem. I just make sure I do it when the sky's are clear and there is no sprinklers going anywhere.

Of course the coldest place I ever lived was Southwest Oklahoma, :(

One week the high was more than a 110. Now I live in Houston, much cooler! (may be true but I miss the Oklahoma breeze when it is 98F and 98% humidity, and no wind)

I only cast during the summertime, spend the winter time hunting, and other endeavors.

JIMinPHX
04-24-2009, 10:33 PM

That's what it took to take the wind out of my busy body old neighbor back east. That old crow could dish out calls to the cops like there was no tomorrow, but boy, was the shoe on the other foot when they served her with a complaint. She didn't take that well at all.

I had to get some people back east served with papers for interfering with a legal hunt too. That was amusing. They never expected the cops to come protect the guy WITH the gun.

Ole
04-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I always cast outside, on the tailgate of my truck.

I got one of those 3'x3' metal sheets that makes clean up a whole lot easier.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-25-2009, 01:31 AM
I do feel for you folks that have to deal with these busy bodies and Idiots. I don't think I would respond very well. I'll just stay out here in the woods where I can do as I please when I please.

These people would really freak if they saw some of my smelting operations outside. :twisted:
Ain't being "Civilized" great ???[smilie=1:

:castmine::Fire::Fire::Fire:

qajaq59
04-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Just one more reason to stay away from a Home Owners Association. Another one? Hmmm, that makes it 45,786!!!

And I always cast out side. So long as there are no heavy winds or a chance of rain.

Frank
04-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I always cast outside, on the tailgate of my truck.

I got one of those 3'x3' metal sheets that makes clean up a whole lot easier.

Here's what I'm talking about. I have to keep moving the dial to keep the temp constant. See, I've got it at the lowest setting to bring it down because it was creeping up too high. Then when it dropped too low for fill-out, I have to turn it up again. It's kind of a cat and mouse game with the dial to keep the melt at a desired temp. Is this normal for casting outside? I might call Lee for some advice.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=715

dmb
04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Frank,
I've not been casting long but I'm get a lot more heat from my single burner coleman stove (liquid fuel) when I put it deep in my old Brinkmann Charcoal Smoke'N Grill.

Casting on a table top the wind pulls the heat off fast. Put the stove and cast iron frying pan deep in the old grill. 25 minutes later you are picking steel clips out of lead as if it were mercury. Have a Great time and good luck finding good WW.

No We don't eat off of the old grill and yes I have bought an auto painters mask Cheers!