PDA

View Full Version : lube& sizer

rbt50
02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
what one should i buy rcbs lube sizer or saeco lube sizer i kind of like the saceo looks like it might be stronger.
it is time to replace the old lyman after 40 years. :lovebooli

45 2.1
02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
The RCBS would allow you to use your present sizer dies. The Saeco uses dies strictly of Saeco type. What model is your lubrisizer and what do you want for it?

carpetman
02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
rbt50----I know nothing about the Saeco,so can't help you there. If your Lyman is working,you would gain little going to RCBS. In fact you would lose a little in one respect. Your Lyman feeds the lube with a ratchet. New RCBS uses a toggle and I much prefer the ratchet. An RCBS can be modified for a ratchet,but it is not a swap parts deal---takes some machining. In operation,there is virtually no difference between the Lyman and the RCBS---except the RCBS seems to hold pressure a little better. That is no big deal---just means you don't operate the ratchet or toggle quite as often. You might get a bullet or two more in between feeding more lube. The dies and top punches are interchangeable between the two. If I didn't have one,I'd buy the RCBS only because of their great customer service. I hear lots of good about the Saeco,but you would have the expense of buying new dies and top punches as they don't interchange with Lyman or RCBS. I did use a Lyman for years and replaced it with RCBS ONLY because I found an outright steal on the RCBS at a garage sale---gave the Lyman to son in law.

StarMetal
02-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Let's clear something up here. Carpetman says the RCBS hold pressure better then the Lyman. How's he know that for certain? Guess he had 20 Lymans and 20 RCBS's that were tapped and drill and fitted with a pressure gauge. Then he (and an assistant) cranked them all up to a certain pressure and timed them as they lost pressure and concluded the Lyman lost more pressure and faster.

Okay, before any of you take this for real I'm only kidding, as far as I know Carpetman didn't do this. Alright, here's what holds the pressure in, the piston with it's O-rings, how close the tolerances are of the threaded shaft going through the piston and how it's affixed at the bottom of the reservoir well, how good the bevel on the sizing die mates with the bevel in the lube machine, how well the threaded retaining nut fits the threads in the lube machine, how well the O-ring on the sizer die seals inside the retaining nut, how well the plunger is fitted to the sizer die, and last but not least, how porous the cast iron body of the lube machine may be.

Bottom line...I have a Lyman and I can assure you it doesn't leak down fast and depending on what caliber bullet and how much lube it takes to fit the lube grooves I can lube anywhere from 2 or 3 to almost 10 on one pressure up.

I think both machines are created about equal and there will be a lemon in either from time to time.

Carpetman is right about the rachet feature being alot better.

Joe

Blacktail 8541
02-21-2006, 11:31 PM
I do not have any experience with the Lyman or RCBS, but I do have a little with the Saeco. Friends have the Rcbs and are very happy with them, for cutomer service the Rcbs wins hands down, you will never have to buy one again because you wore it out or broke it. And because you all ready have the Lyman dies you would not have to re equip with new ones, I've also heard that the finish is a little better on the lynan dies. The Saeco is a little stronger than either of the others but in most cases it is not needed.

carpetman
02-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Starmetal--Joe how do I know the RCBS holds pressure better? Did I fit them with an air pressure guage? No. I also don't use a tire pressure guage to ascertain that I have a flat tire nor an ohmeter to determine a light bulb is burned out. You might need to do such to make these conclusions but I forego the testing. My comparison is based upon one each of the two brands. I can tell the RCBS holds pressure better as I already stated I can lube a bullet or two more between feeding more pressure. Now a flat tire for me is a problem. I bet you can just blow one back up with your mouth and keep on trucking.

StarMetal
02-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Just like I was saying Ray, that's only one of each model...by far not a good comparison.

That tire is only flat on the bottom.

Joe

Bret4207
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I have 1 Lyman, 1 RCBS and have used a Saeco. Which is my favorite for cost, speed, accuracy and ergonomics? The Lee with Lee Liquid Frog Snot lube.

Just thought I'd muddy the waters a little.

FISH4BUGS
02-22-2006, 06:29 PM
what one should i buy rcbs lube sizer or saeco lube sizer i kind of like the saceo looks like it might be stronger.
it is time to replace the old lyman after 40 years. :lovebooli
Let's muddy it up more......I'd go for the Star Sizer. The best, no doubt.

mainiac
02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Made do with a lyman luber,and then found a steal at a gun show..... 20 bucks for a rcbs. This machine is far better than the lyman, can load twice as many bullets on one pull of the rachet. Alignment is more precise also.

Pepe Ray
02-22-2006, 09:25 PM
:smile: [smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l: :-) :violin: [smilie=2: :violin:

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Ive owned all three in the past and out of all of them prefered the rcbs. All i use now is a couple stars and i wouldnt trade the handle off one of my stars for 10 rcbs or lyman presses.

rbt50
02-23-2006, 11:50 AM
thanks for all the help,i probley should go with rcbs but i keep going back to saeco. it just looks like it has a stronger bullet ejection system. :lovebooli

montana_charlie
02-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Funny how much the 'modern' Saeco resembles the 'ancient' Lyman #45...

montana_charlie
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Oops...

rbt50
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
i guess they should have stayed with the old style.

StarMetal
02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Just as a survey here let's see how many of you that have the older Lyman 45 luber/sizer would like it converted to use the threaded nut to hold the sizing die in. I may convert them and if you are interested would ship it to me and I'll converty them for a fee, which would include the nut.

Joe

carpetman
02-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Starmetal---a fee to include the nut. Your wages?

wills
02-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Just as a survey here let's see how many of you that have the older Lyman 45 luber/sizer would like it converted to use the threaded nut to hold the sizing die in. I may convert them and if you are interested would ship it to me and I'll converty them for a fee, which would include the nut.

Joe

Going to send Carpetman along with the luber/sizer?

StarMetal
02-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Well I will tell you what, if Carpetman wants to go in together on this I'd be glad to have him...Whatya say Ray....Sales Rep and advisor...on the job??

Joe

StarMetal
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Ray,

At first I was thinking threading them for the nut, but after I posted I got to thinking. Not only could they be upgraded with the nuts system, but the reservoir piston could be upgraded with an O-Ring piston and new shaft...and heck while at it, why not thorough cleaning and fresh paint.

Joe

lovedogs
02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey, Starmetal... why not just design and build your own brand? Of course, then you'd never have time to shoot if you're running your new business. Lots of you guys sound pretty handy. Me, I'm doing good if I can keep the lube on the boolits and off'n my jeans!

StarMetal
02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
lovedogs,

You're right about it's alot of time and work running a business. There would be alot involved in having those made.

Joe