PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a bargin today

tommyn
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Got a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights for 10 bucks. So heavy I had to get grandson to take out of pickup bed

motorcyclemac
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Nice haul...get as many of those pails for 10 bucks as you can get.

Some time back I had a buddy that managed a Schwabs store. He used to save me all the big truck weights. I stopped by with my 3/4 truck to get what he had. He called and said he had it all nicely shrink wrapped on a pallet. Said he would set it in my truck with the fork lift. He was right...it was all nice in one bundle...all 8 five gallon buckets! He got that Hyster and set it right in the bed for me. We guessed it was about 1200 pounds. Made the ol' truck squat a bit. I had to unload the buckets into other buckets...and unload a little at a time. I couldn't even budge it.

Cheers
Mac.

jdgabbard
04-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Nice haul...get as many of those pails for 10 bucks as you can get.

Some time back I had a buddy that managed a Schwabs store. He used to save me all the big truck weights. I stopped by with my 3/4 truck to get what he had. He called and said he had it all nicely shrink wrapped on a pallet. Said he would set it in my truck with the fork lift. He was right...it was all nice in one bundle...all 8 five gallon buckets! He got that Hyster and set it right in the bed for me. We guessed it was about 1200 pounds. Made the ol' truck squat a bit. I had to unload the buckets into other buckets...and unload a little at a time. I couldn't even budge it.

Cheers
Mac.

If I were to discover a find such as that, I would be set for a while! :drinks:

Ancesthntr
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I got 3/4 of a bucket a couple weeks back for $5, and I could barely move it. Last week, a full bucket for $27 (incl. $2 for the bucket) - I didn't even try to move it, I transferred 1/2 of it to the bucket I had in the trunk.

Moving lead around a bit makes you understand phrases like "get the lead out" and "lead foot."

Norseman
04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Last week I got a tip that the local scrapyard sold monotype lead for less than 25 cents a pound.

So I was able to secure 160 pounds of monotype and 200 pounds of pure lead for about 75 dollars.

The weekend was used for turning it into 80 kilos of linotype (50/50 mono/pure) and 300 kilos of magnum alloy (3 mono/3 pure/4 ww), with 20 kilos left of monotype.

I'm sure glad I could borrow a space outside to do the smelting. I've tried to smelt 20 pounds of airgunbullets in my appartement and it sure took awhile to get the stink out.

Gunslinger
04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
In your apartment? You wouldn't be single by any chance would you [smilie=1:?
:-D

Stick_man
04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
In your apartment? You wouldn't be single by any chance would you [smilie=1:?
:-D

If he wasn't then, he probably is now. Either that or he has one heck of a catch there by his side.

Norseman
04-29-2009, 01:40 AM
My girlfriend and I don't live together - yet. But when she sleeps over at my place, I usually have to get up early to get to work. When I come home, the appartment is spotless (except the computer/reloading/boolit casting room).

I've got her interested in handgun shooting and she has tried to reload some ammunition (she made all my hunting ammo for the 9,3x62mm) and even cast and size some boolits.

She even was happy on my behalf when I (at last) found a new 9mm pistol after looking for a few months (STI Targetmaster).

And she is coming with me for a week at the National Field Shooting Pistol Championships this summer.

So yes, she is quite a catch!

jack19512
04-29-2009, 04:06 AM
A couple of days ago I got three five gallon buckets of weights, didn't cost me anything. :-D

Cherokee
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Norseman - Very lucky you are !!