PDA

View Full Version : wipping LLA of base before loading?

69daytona
04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I just started using LLA for some Lee TL 45s and would like to know if I should wipe the LLA off the base of the bullets before loading them? I like to load about 1000 at a time due to back issues and sometimes they sit in an ammo box for a month or two.
Worried about it fouling the powder.

Calamity Jake
04-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I have never had a problem with LLA and ammo storage and I have some 38sp that has been loaded for over 2 years, they still went bang just a couple of days ago.

Let the LLA dry overnight before loading.

ghh3rd
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
From the Lee site - "The dried coating does not degrade gunpowder."
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1240506243.5261=/html/catalog/lubesize.html#LeeLiquidAlox

Randy

keebo52
04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Don't worry about it. Once dry, it will not harm the powder. I have ammo loaded in the late 1980s using LLA that shoots every time.

69daytona
04-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. I sure wasted a lot of time etting it off the base but wont worry about that anymore.

JIMinPHX
04-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I always wiped my bases off. Never had a problem. Never tried it the other way.

BABore
04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Put the lube boolits in a baggy and throw in a pinch of Motor Mica. Toss them around a bit and they will have a nice, non-tacky dusting. They'll store and handle without the stickies. Never had a problem with powder contamination.

jonk
04-23-2009, 04:09 PM
The idea of wiping the lube off- be it from the base or exposed part of the bullet- defeats the primary benefit of tumble lube- it is fast.

Never had an issue. Just make sure they are dry; I usually scrape them around a few times while drying to make sure.

geargnasher
04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I never wipe the bases, either. I read the Lee statement and found it to be accurate. I consider it a kind of protectant because my recovered boolits have almost 100% of the lube remaining on the base and I know the bases aren't melting. I do wipe the noses on my automatic loads due to chamber fouling as the boolit nose hits the top middle portion of the chamber when going in, plus it is hell to get out of the mags.

Gear

jdgabbard
04-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Never wipe the bases myself. Don't see the point. Once its dry, its not like it is going to run. As the ingredient that gives it that fluid state is the mineral spirits. And once that stuff evaporates its gone until you put it back in. And once its loaded I don't see that happening unless you pull the boolits. Just load them up. It will be fine.