PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory XD pistols

Gunload Master
02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Anyone ever shoot one of these XD pistols? The new 45ACP looks purdy nice..

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml

jballs918
02-21-2006, 05:59 PM
i got a friend at work that has the 40 model. he says he loves it. i havent got a chance to shoot it yet. maybe i need to hit him up on it

lefty_red
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I carried a XD40 Tactical while a aux LEO.

Great feel, no problems. I would take one over a Glock anyday.

But one ?, how did they cram one more 45ACP round in the package that holds 12 40S&W?

Jerry

lastmanout
02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Yep. I just got one of the 45acp compacts. The cold weather has kept me from the range so I haven't shot....sorry. It does fit the hand and points a mite more instinctive than the Glock ( in my hands ). Glock has a faster trigger with quicker reset. XD has a longer, softer trigger, but wouldn't call it 'mushy'. Hoping the standard rifling of the XD45 will be more friendly to cast bullets than the Glock polygonal (or whatever ) rifling. The 9mm XD has proven itself at our local combat shoots. I have yet to see one jam. The Glock is great too, but the XD is the new kid and retails $100 cheaper than Glock. I was a revolver shooter for 25 years, but finally gave in to these new fangled plastic 'bottom feeders'. Holsters for the XD45 are the unknown factor. No one can say if the 9mm/40 holsters fit the 45acp. Good luck and good shootin'

StarMetal
02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Actually Glocks calls the rifling Hexagonal

Joe

C A Plater
02-22-2006, 02:14 PM
I've got a XD-9 5" and it is a fun sport pistol. Fits my hand well and am now waiting for a .45 one to show up at the local gun shop. I like the feel as it is more like a 1911, my favorite autoloader, than most.

Gunload Master
02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea, I think I will be going for an XD 45ACP. March 1st one of our gun shops get's a few in and I am going to go get the feel of it. Sure looks like a fun sporty gun.

Shepherd2
02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
I have one of the XD9 5" Tactical models too. I like it much better than the Glocks I've tried. I 'd like to try an XD in .45acp since it fits my hand better than the 1911 grip.

KCSO
02-22-2006, 10:55 PM
The XD is an updated version of the HS2000 that was offered by Century Arms. They are a good gun, and to my mind shoot and feel better than a Glock. There is one small problem, if anything breaks you have to ship the gun back to S/A they will not release ANY parts to dealers. If you need a new extractor or a recoil spring or... its back to S/A. That policy has pissed off all the customers in this neck of the woods and really dropped the guns popularity. Also the gun is striker fired and under full spring tension all the time. I always wanted to have spare striker springs just in case. I begged and pleaded with S/A for parts and cited that we were prepared to drop Glock and deal solely in XD's and no go.

Murphy
02-23-2006, 11:27 PM
I do hope they offer this XD in a five in barrel version as well. Not that there would be anything terribly wrong with a 4 inch, but a 5 inch would be even more appealing to me. I do enjoy shooting the wifes XD 9.

The reason for the 5 inch? I am a firmly believe in Federal's Hydra-Shok 230 grain bullets for self defense. It was designed to leave the barrel out of a 5 inch tube for velocity reasons. Street results have shown a drop in performance with the use of shorter tubes using Hydra-Shok 230 grain bullets.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what velocity this model will produce in a 4 inch barrel.

The Glock 17 in my truck doesn't it know yet...but in all probability, it's about to find a new home.

Respectfully,

Murphy

Dale53
02-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Murphy;
You might want to read this:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/66fe22f6245c6bfa/de4599ee54093c31%23de4599ee54093c31?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=2

There is not really much loss between a 3" and a 5" 1911 .45ACP. My carry gun is a Kimber 3". Hydrashok is my ammo of choice.

Dale53

lastmanout
02-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Got a chance to shoot my XD45 for the first time today. Just a couple of clips at 15 yards. I had some trouble with my cast 190 swc (lyman style #460). The clip holds the fresh cartridge at such an angle that the rim of the spent shell can catch on the sharp shoulder of the SWC in the clip during ejection. I got some ugly stovepipe jams because of that. It was my ammo choice causing problems!! I will try a Lee 230 conical tomorrow. A more rounded profile bullet , lacking a SWC sharp edge should work alot better. Other observations- Pistol has strong recoil springs and take a good pull to 'rack' the slide, trigger pull is longish but not heavy and no gritty feel. Recoil was about what you should expect from a 45 of this size (physics in action). Targets showed promise, cloverleafs where common. Thanks for the info on Springfield Armory not selling repair parts to customers. That policy may have me trading this thing for a Glock 45acp!!! I don't like machines that I can't get parts for.

StarMetal
02-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Lastman,

It's not that you can't get parts exactly, like KSCO said you have to send the gun back to the Springfield, that's better then no parts at all.

I have a Glock 45 and it feels with everything. No problems with it at all. My 1911's feed everything too.

You one thing about the good old 1911 is that the magazines for it are all metal which means you can tweat them for tuning. I haven't picked up one of the Springfields yet, but I'll be the magazine is plastic, right? If not pick up a few spares and then play with one to get that fresh round angle down some.

Joe

lastmanout
02-25-2006, 10:24 AM
My XD45 came with two metal magazines. I can't say if they are stainless or nickel plated, but they sure are shiny. New mags for the 45 are not available yet, so I can use it for any club shoots ( tactical reloads ). I have had custom 1911's in the past. I fell outta love with the design- It is too tempting to drop a ton of money in modifications. Will give the XD a try this weeekend, and then decide- to Glock or not to glock. I have a few Glocks and they function, just like you say. Shipping pistols back for any small repair is expensive these days. ( Thanks UPS) :Fire:

Gunload Master
02-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Well it's official, I will be getting one of the .45ACP's by the end of next week. I'm getting it for cost so the price is right.

My brother got one of the .40's just yesterday and I liked it way to much. :)
It comes with a pretty good accessory pack considering what i've seen other new pistols come with.

The .40 seems pretty solid, action is solid, takes a little force to pull pack, but very easy to dis-assemble. Near the front there's one lever to pull up (after cocking back) then you move the slide forward, pull the trigger and the slide, barrel come's right off, next you pull a spring back and the barrel basically falls out for cleaning. Pretty straight forward.

After I get the .45 I will write up a review with some photos and video footage of it so everyone can get a better feel for it. Seem's like a winner.

shooter575
02-26-2006, 09:25 PM
GM,I am looking forward to that review.New guns in general do not appeal to me much as I havent got all the old ones I want yet <G> This may? be a exception.