PDA

View Full Version : A "New" .303...

BruceB
04-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Some months back I was seriously smitten by a former-military No. 1 Mk III which appeared on Auction Arms. There were no bids, and it disappeared before I could put one in. It showed-up again a few weeks ago, and this time I made no mistake.

To see my "new" 1914 sporter , go to www.auctionarms.com and search for 9059436. You'll see what attracted me! I think the conversion was done here in the USA fairly-recently, but it was accomplished by someone with a lot of taste, talent, and a feel for British sporters and their styling.

The bore of the original 1914 barrel came up brilliantly shiny after a rather rigorous cleaning. What had seemed to be dark grooves cleaned right up. Very little copper fouling was apparent, and I suspect that it was recently cleaned with an electronic cleaning method. Most old miltary rifles do NOT clean -up like this one did.

On Monday, I fired 120 rounds of NVCurmudgeon's fine 314299s, urged along by 2400 in amounts from 10 grains to 21 grains in lots of ten rounds at each charge weight, one-grain increments. The bead front sight gave me fits in the bright sunlight until I blackened it with a felt marker. Groups were uniformly under 2"/10 rounds from 50 yards, and along about the 18-grain mark some tighter grouping became apparent, with seven or eight rounds under the 1.5" mark. Speeds ran from 1290 (10 grains) to 1780 (21 grains) with decent extreme spreads and SDs ....no filler was used.

I've been resisting the purchase of a 314299 mould so far, but I might have to break down. First, I have a bunch of other designs and powders to try, and I'm really looking forward to the project. I'll post results as they become available. Some members here have already handled and fired the rifle, and seemed to appreciate it. I know I do!

No_1
04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
That is a fine looking rifle you got there Bruce. I agree with you, whomever put it together did an excellent job. Please let us know when you have it completely dialed in.

Robert

JeffinNZ
04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Lovely, just lovely. Nice stalking rifle. Lucky boy.

quasi
04-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Bruce, your rifle looks like a reproduction of BSA's "high velocity sporters" that they made for retail and for the english gun trade. They made them on Lee Speed recievers and #1 Lee Enfields.

Buckshot
04-23-2009, 02:13 AM
................I've never personally liked SMLE's and have never owned one. I don't deny their many sterling attributes as a battle rifle, and their long service length in that respect. I'm not a complete idiot :-) I guess it's just a Ford or Chevy, home fries or hash browns thing. By the same token, anyone can admire care in fine workmanship, regardless thier own personal likes and dislikes.

Having been able to handle and shoot the rifle in question I can honestly say that it is a rifle I would like to own. Whoever did the work excersized care in thoughtfull refinishing, and tastefull understated simple quiet embellishment. It isn't a rifle shouting 'Look at me' but it doesn't have to, as your eyes are naturally drawn to it. When I raised it to my shoulder to shoot it, it simply came right up and I was looking through the rear peep. A bit unfamiliar with the trigger at first, but that was easily learned.

BruceB, you really NEED a camera!

...............Buckshot

Bigjohn
04-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Indeed Sir, a very fine looking rifle there. I hope it serves you well.

John

leadman
04-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Nice looking rifle. I really like the way the receiver appears not as "cluttered" as a stock military.
Rostov does sell some nice stuff. I have bought from him also.

quasi
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
here is a forum on Lee Speeds and other Lee Enfield sporters.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=lee

swheeler
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Bruce; that is a fine looking smelly, enjoy it. I have owned 2 and both are gone, the first I bought in Edmonton in about 68-69 and when I crossed the border to come home they found it and took it, the other is in Arkansas, many times I've wished I had both. Looks like a fine job on the sporterizing. Scot

Crash_Corrigan
04-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I fell into a SMLE No 4 Longbranch model that also had been sporterized.

The stock was cut down but is certainly not in the same class as yours and it came with issue peep sight. The bore is outstanding and has only two grooves. I slugged it cerrosafe and the chamber just ahead of the boolit is .316 but finally goes down to .304 near the muzzle.

corvette8n
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I fell into a SMLE No 4 Longbranch model that also had been sporterized.

The stock was cut down but is certainly not in the same class as yours and it came with issue peep sight. The bore is outstanding and has only two grooves. I slugged it cerrosafe and the chamber just ahead of the boolit is .316 but finally goes down to .304 near the muzzle.

Sounds like the British version of the Carcano gain twist called "gain squeeze"[smilie=1:

StarMetal
04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
................I've never personally liked SMLE's and have never owned one. I don't deny their many sterling attributes as a battle rifle, and their long service length in that respect. I'm not a complete idiot :-) I guess it's just a Ford or Chevy, home fries or hash browns thing. By the same token, anyone can admire care in fine workmanship, regardless thier own personal likes and dislikes.

Having been able to handle and shoot the rifle in question I can honestly say that it is a rifle I would like to own. Whoever did the work excersized care in thoughtfull refinishing, and tastefull understated simple quiet embellishment. It isn't a rifle shouting 'Look at me' but it doesn't have to, as your eyes are naturally drawn to it. When I raised it to my shoulder to shoot it, it simply came right up and I was looking through the rear peep. A bit unfamiliar with the trigger at first, but that was easily learned.

BruceB, you really NEED a camera!

...............Buckshot

That's amazing Buckshot, because I know how you have an affinity for rifles that have a magazine box protrusion. Like the M95 Steyr, 91 Argentine, and Mosin Nagant.

Joe