PDA

View Full Version : Sizer Luber lube change

wrcook
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I have been casting for many years, but have just recently got a Lyman 2400 sizer/luber. I have been using it for black powder, SPG lube and olive oil and beeswax. I now want to use Alox in the luber. Short of buying another sizer, are there any words of wisdom, for changing lubricants?

Bill C

GP100man
04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
yepp HEAT!!!
i take the sizing die out, the pressure nut & put a heat lamp on it , lube runs out into a jar!!

GP100man:cbpour:

Dale53
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I use a heat gun and it will clear out the old lube in a jiffy! I hold it over a box (if you want to save the lube, line it with aluminum foil). Or, you could sit it in a large funnel (that is sitting in a jar or can) and melt it directly into the container similar to the suggestion form Bill C). As Bill suggests, remove the die and piston ass'y before you start.

Dale53

Marine Sgt 2111
04-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I use a heat gun and just make sure I don't peel the paint off of the luber...

wrcook
04-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys, That was kind of my plan, but it is good to hear it from people who use it.

Bill C

jonk
04-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I generally just change lubes and use the first few bullets as plinkers. Assuming you run it dry before the changeover.

PatMarlin
04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
The next cool change method is another luber and keep the same lubes available. That's why I love Lyman 45's so much. Work well, and are inexpensive to own. I'll be searching for my forth one soon... :drinks:

mold maker
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
If you over stress the link it will cost about $24. The originals aren't available and a kit to refurb is expensive. Lyman doesn't give out free parts like RCBS and LEE, and Dillon..

PatMarlin
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Well that's also why I like them, as I don't stress them, can make my own parts, and presses go for pretty cheap. Never had to make any linkage parts. Only repaired the bottom of a shaft that was metal fatiqued one time. Definitely a do it yourselfer sizer, but a very good one.

If you don't run your lube to warm, they will not leak. Also- lube your boolits, and don't try to hog a huge size change all at once.

mikenbarb
04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
The best way to remove old lube is to boil it in a big pot with the die removed and put in the pot also to clean it out good. It works great and will not harm the lubesizer plus you can salvage the lube when the water cools and it turns solid again on top of the water. Just be sure its oiled on the parts that need it and it will dry quickly because of the heat of boiling it.