PDA

View Full Version : 16 Gauge Slugs

Marc2
02-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyone know where I can purchase a 16 Ga. slug mold?

Marc In VA.

Wayne Smith
02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
If you find one let me know, too. I got a .671" RB mold from NEI and am casting those to put in 16gax2.4" Magtech cases over 777 or the like. At least I have a 'punkin ball' to shoot out of it.

Bodydoc447
02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Wayne,

are you loading those round balls in a shot cup like the LEE slugs or just on top a wad column?

Thanks,

Doc

Marc2
02-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Should have mentioned that I talked to Lee about a key drive 16 Ga. mold. They said they would not make a custom mold in that design.

Marc In VA

Wayne Smith
02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Since this is an old gun (circa pre 1892) I am planning on loading on a wad column. It's an open bored barrel, so I don't have a choke to worry about. I'm casting in pure lead as well. Haven't actually done it yet, don't have the brass yet.

Marc2
03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Wayne,

I talked to John at Lee precision today. He said he would make a 16 gauge key drive slug mold for me. A complete reversal of what the lady there told me. He did state that they have no load data on the 16 slugs and would just make a scaled down version of the 12 gauge. Also asked me to send them a sample of the wad I'd be using. I guess I'll go ahead and order. Its a little pricey but I think I'll enjoy shooting these out of my 16s.

Marc Davis

Bodydoc447
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Marc,

What kind of wad are you going to send? I am interested in one of these molds if you are using a commonly available wad like the Rem or BP wads. If a couple more folks are interested, maybe we can split up the special order fee some and make it cheaper for all of us. Thanks for getting Lee to move on this.

Doc

Marc2
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
He recommeded I send a wad that is commonly available. I guess the Rem would work OK, but I need to check to see what I have available. I also thought about calling Hodgdon and asking them what they would recommend. The cost of the mold would be $26 after the set up fee.

I should let you know that John said there is no load data available with the 16 gauge key drive so we would be on our own. Maybe Hodgdon could help with that too.

Marc

Marc2
03-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Wow. This is spookey. I just hung up with the lab at Hodgdon. They said that they do not have any slug data and under no circumstances would they test a slug load for pressure. Anyone know why?

Marc In VA

Bodydoc447
03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
That is strange. I would ASS-U-ME that the weight of the slug in an appropriate wad would kind of not make pressure an issue, using load data for that wight, wad, powder, primer, etc. I'm sure it is a liability thing on Hodgdon's part.

I have some remington 1-1/8 oz hunting wads and tons of ballistic products wads in 16 ga. I also have regular cork wads that my f-i-l gave me.

I am definitely interested.

Doc

Bodydoc447
03-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Let me check my BP Sweet Sixteen manual. I think they might have slug data.

Doc

Marc2
03-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Doc,

Let me know if you find something load wise. I'll be shooting it primarily out of my Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Marc In VA

Greg5278
03-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Load data can be easily developed for slugs, as long as you use your head. slugs develop less chamber pressure than an equal weight of shot. I would use a full bore slug, and eliminate the wad if I was going to do it. I have had very good luck with custom full bore slugs in 12 gauge. I designed my own molds.

As for the chamber pressure test, call Tom Armbrust at 815-385-0037. He has a pressure gun, and the prices are cheap, and well worth it. Greg

Bodydoc447
03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Marc,

My memory wasn't playing tricks on me. The BP sixteen gauge manual does indeed have a page of slug data. PM me with your snail mail address and I will send you a photocopy of the particulars.

Doc

Marc2
03-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Greg I think the key drive requires a wad and uses a standard crimp. Are you roll crimping the wad-less loads with your custom slugs or using a standard crimp?

Marc

woody1
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I have the Lyman first edition shotshell handbook. There's some 16 ga. slug data in it for a 391 gr. slug. PM me if you need it. Regards, Woody

Greg5278
03-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I am using a roll srimp with my slugs in 12 gauge. I was going to make a custom 16 gauge rifled bore slug gun, but haven't finished my 12 yet. I gave up on the slug in a standard wad idea. If you measure the inconsistencies in wad petal thickness, and research the lack of decent quality control you migjht reconsider the project. If would be easier to design a full bore slug mold, and shoot it at full diameter, and eliminate the variables. I started using 50/50 Beeswax and lard for lube, there was no leading and the ballistics were very consistent. I was shooting cloverleafs with the gun at 50 yards, when recoil didn't hurt too much.

After firing thousands of test loads of various slugs, I can only think of one wad/ slug idea that might work. I was thinking of a smooth side slug in a steel shot wad for maximum bore contact. I was thinking of a 700-750Grain slug in 12 gauge. In 16 it would probably be perfect at 600 Grains.
Greg

Buckshot
03-15-2006, 02:55 AM
.............In "The Fouling Shot" issue previous to the newest there was an article by a guy shooting a 16 ga (or wait, was it a 20?) with bit of his trials and tribulations. Shot from a smoothbore NEF if my memory hasn't totally crapped out. I'll see if I can find it. Shot a nice deer with it to.

.................Buckshot

Marc2
03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Doc,

Data arrived today. I'll look over it later tonight. Thank you.

Marc Davis

Bucks Owin
03-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm happy to see all this interest in 16 ga. shotguns! I positively dote on my ol' Model-12 Win in this "best all around" gauge. Too bad there was never a 3" version, but then again, if you can't do it with 1 1/4 oz, you probably shouldn't be shooting! :-D

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, my full choke M-12 with Lyman peep sight would stay inside of 6" @100 yds with the old Super-X slug loads. Not bad IMHO for a FC scattergun! Wonder if a "slug barreled" 12 ga gun will do as well....

m stevenson
07-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone know where I can purchase a 16 Ga. slug mold?

Marc In VA.

I have a Lyman 16ga. slug mold NIB.

I'll try to find it (we moved to a new house two months ago and I'm just now starting to see my casting stuff, though the closest I've gotten is 4 ft away)

I don't know what it's worth, but E-mail me and let's talk.

Mark

GregP42
08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Did anyone ever find out about getting 16ga slugs? I know this thread is old, but I am looking for some for my 16ga.

kopke38
08-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Hi.

I am from Denmark in Europe, so i hope you can read/understand my English writing!!!

About slug moulds for .16 ga. -Just use a .12 ga slug from the LEE slug mould, but WITHOUT the plastik shotcup, the .12 ga LEE slug will fit in the .16 ga hull just fine, make sure that your .16 GA shotgun has a CYLINDER CHOKE (constriction .000")

I have tested the .12 ga slug in my 90 year old VERY USED .16 ga S/S hammer shotgun and it works great.

You can allso use a .60 caliber LEE roundball with a plastik shotcup, that will allso do just fine!

Greetings from Denmark

kopke38

GregP42
08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Kopke38,

Thanks, problem is I have a full choke on this single, the exit bore is .640, Not real sure what to do about it right now. What is the dia. of that 12ga. slug?

Greg

longbow
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
You might think about a round ball mould if you can't find a suitable slug mould.

0.662" is nominal bore size for 16 ga. and is exactly 1 oz. in pure lead ~ you couldn't shoot it through a choke though. What you might look at are the 0.600" or 0.610" in a shotcup. Just make sure the ball plus 2 times the petal thickness isn't more than a few thou over choke diameter.

Check out Track Of the Wolf:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(pb0bsubkgpxvyfveo05ybxrp))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=18&subID=126&styleID=411

I have been having pretty good success with RB's in 12 ga., both bore size and undersize in a shotcup. Accuracy isn't spectacular at around 4" groups at 50 yards but it is generally better than any home cast Foster slugs I have tried and I think a little more playing with wads and loads will do a bit better.

Quick to cast and easy to load.

Longbow

johnly
09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
How about these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=153309

John

Greg5278
09-06-2008, 05:19 PM
You could try the Rapine 660500 mold for 12 ga. I think you could make a rifling die to fit a relaoding press to make it pass through chokes. The Die would need to be broached with keyways to shave the lead. It would be a straight fin rifling. All you are trying to do is lessen the bore contact area. A 20ga lyman mold could be bored out to your diameter. Perhaps Buckshot could help you? An email to him might be in order.
Greg 5278

missionary5155
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Another alternitive is to shoot Round Ball.... All you need to do is measure your choke constriction and order a DIXIE mold that size... a whole lot cheaper ! Or if you want to used a shot cup (sleeve) stick one in your barrel at the tightest constriction and measure that diameter. I recomend you figure on 3-5 thousands oversize ball to get a good grip out the barrel. Again order a Dixie mold of that diameter. Round ball is VERY easy to cast and will out penetrate any hollow body slug out there. Ask the PIG hunters... a hollow body slug will bounce off the BIG PIGS shoulders. A Round Ball will go flat through the whole critter. Elephants.. Rinos.. Buffalo.. are NEVER were NEVER shot with Hollow body slugs... But sure were dropped by the thousands with Round Ball. Hollow Body Slugs will bounce off the thick neck armor of BIG Crocs... but a round ball smashes right through. So if all you are going to do is pop a soft skin critter a Hollow Body Slug probably will do the job... But if you want to go HIGH TECH step back into history and use THE REAL SLUG.